Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default jeti vs DX10 ?

I admit i have not studied either very closely , but based on aesthetics [actually very important i think] the DX10 looks at least as desirable as the Jeti 16 at 500$ less.
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

These are my thoughts on this matter.
http://markkovalcson.wordpress.com/2...he-jeti-ds-16/

I'd suggest that you look at what is under the hood before trying to compare these TX's with a straight face.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkovalcson, i've been reading your thoughts on this , i like what you say about aesthetics being important
[those who disagree - would you really want to fly a shit ugly heli ? }

I would love to buy a Jeti but ,,,I MUST NOT!!!! .

DX6I works fine .

does DMS2 function w/ this ? Also sim connection is very important & sounds like a hassle.

& i would love to redesign all TX as i think they suck ergonomicaly .

Funny how the DX 10 looks like a marketing dud , but i wish they would at least give them all that 'euro look instead of those horrible bulgy gimm-cracker things that are the fashion.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like anything else in this hobby, these are toys and must be kept in perspective.

If you were in the market for a high end transmitter then I think it would be a mistake not to look at Jeti. However if the cost makes you wince than don't do it. RC Heli expenses should come out of discretionary income that you don't need for anything else.

I didn't need to order a DS-16 and there is no real justification for it other than I wanted it because I thought it was really cool and I wanted to play with it

To your earlier question, like almost every other manufacturer of TX's Jeti has their own communication protocol and will only work with their own receivers.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
To your earlier question, like almost every other manufacturer of TX's Jeti has their own communication protocol and will only work with their own receivers.

Oh well , yikes ! thats the end of that then , how do they make any money?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been thinking long & hard on this. Now that my helis are getting really high end,
I think its fair to them (lol) that I get them a radio that's up there as well.
The think that is of concern to me is that the TX case looks too thick & angular
on the side to feel comfortable for stick pinchers like me. I've got same hands
jchen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrultralite View Post
Oh well , yikes ! thats the end of that then , how do they make any money?
You could ask Futaba, Airtronics, and JR the same thing.

One of the big things that Jeti brings to the table is a transceiver that transmits telemetry data back to the Transmitter.

With Spektrum you have to add a additional box,a TM1000, to each heli to get telemetry. With Futaba's new Fasstest procol you would still need to replace each receiver that you want to get telemetry with. With JR you would need the new DMSS receivers and satellites.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its ok if you are just starting, but i'd hate to have to retrofit everything. I just wish i owned a plastic molding company i'd show 'em how to do it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just wish i owned a plastic molding company i'd show 'em how to do it.
Jeti - CNC milled solid aluminum alloy case and front panel.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
mkovalcson, i've been reading your thoughts on this , i like what you say about aesthetics being important
[those who disagree - would you really want to fly a shit ugly heli ? }

I would love to buy a Jeti but ,,,I MUST NOT!!!! .
Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. Some people love chrome plated plastic, some are drawn to CNC aluminum. Anyone remember the Ace Micropro 8000? Way (way) ahead if its time but definitely not designed for looks. I always wanted one but couldn't afford it back in the 80's.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Its ok if you are just starting, but i'd hate to have to retrofit everything. I just wish i owned a plastic molding company i'd show 'em how to do it.
Until you've held a DS-16 in your hands you might resist such comments. That radio is flat awesome! Feels nice and nothing like the plastic toys like many others feel like.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have either radio, but just by going over the feature sets and the quality of the materials used by Jeti I don't under stand this comparison at all. The DX10 is a plastic radio using the same technology that is in the DX8. I have a DX7 that I keep around to use with BNF stuff. I take pretty good care of it and all of the fake chrome is peeling off.

The only commonalities I see are being able to move the switches around, and I guess the price is pretty similar. Having had DX6i and DX7 I have never been impressed with any of Spektrums products they are the low end off shoot brand of JR from what I understand.

Don't get me wrong a DX8 would be on my recommended list for someone looking to get an entry level Radio (if they want BNF). Otherwise I always recommend an 8FG.

To me I would compare the new Jeti Radios to Futaba 18MZ, and at $2,000 less I would definitely go with the Jeti. In fact if some one said take your choice for free I would pick the Jeti. Well maybe I'd take the 18MZ sell it and buy 3 Jeti's. LOL
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting argumentation. I actually tried personally quite a few transmitter radios and the current one is the DX10. as a tray radio it has the same functionality and SW as the DX18.

So if anyone wants to compare - it should be done to the DC-16. I was holding that at multiple events and almost purchased one. I actually decided to go with the DS-16 instead.

However the number of features make the price difference worth it.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. Some people love chrome plated plastic, some are drawn to CNC aluminum.

Theres no accounting for taste, thats for sure, i like a toolroom job my self, you would think that would beat out cheesy plastic , but who knows. I hate all the fake molded in crap thats stuck to just about all these tx things.
Re; injection molding , if i had my way i would start with a lump of clay and mold it with my hands so that the sticks and grip were a good natural ergonomic fit , could always be cast metal too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in