Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default 700's + 115 on 700 DFC

Hi guys, just curious if you can fit 700mm main blades and 115mm tail blades without risk of blade strikes?
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't own a DFC, but from what I've read you should have no problems with 115's out back as long as you're using 690's up top. Anything beyond those mains and you're looking at a potential issue. If you want to run anything bigger you will need to change out the tail boom, TT, and tail pushrod to the 700N DFC boom. It is the only Align 700 boom that is longer......800mm vs 785mm for all other Align 700's.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMO on the new tail ratio there is absolutely no need for anything longer than stock no matter what head speed you run. If it's a V3 you are asking tho.

Here is mine with the new align blades and Rail 106. First picture unloaded and the second with my deflecting the main blades about an inch.

I've seen a guy at my field chop his boom in half just doing aggressive pitch pumps, if it can do that those blades will deflect more than the 1 inch I'm doing in the picture.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Perhaps with a little more clarity on your intentions, we can better steer you here.

The stock 4.73 gear ratio offers plenty of tail authority running the typical sport/3D headspeeds.

If you're running a low headspeed and need a bump, I would take a look at the 21T front TT gears (The Nitro TT gears). This will bump the ratio up to 4.93, and add some more tail authority.

If you're running in the ~1850-2200RPM range and having a tail authority problem, I would suggest examining your FBL unit settings and condition/model of your tail servo. You shouldn't have to run larger tail blades with the stock DFC ratio in this case.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I haven't flown it yet, I'm still collecting the electronics to get it in the air

My main reason is because I like to run very low HS sometimes (i.e. in the case of a 700, a single 6s pack) but I also like to run very high HS other times (i.e. 12s at 2200 to 2300 HS)

I hate the idea of having to change the tail gears just to run really low head speed.

I think it would be easier to, like with my X3, just take 30 seconds to change to longer tail blades. Then when I fly high HS I just change to the shorter ones. (68mm and 62mm in the case of the X3)

I probably should have mentioned that I would only run 115mm on low HS. Which asks the question, will my mains flex too much at low HS because of the lack of centrifugal force and hit the tail blades or boom?

So, will I be able to do that with 700mm blades? (Zeal 700)
Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
I haven't flown it yet, I'm still collecting the electronics to get it in the air

My main reason is because I like to run very low HS sometimes (i.e. in the case of a 700, a single 6s pack) but I also like to run very high HS other times (i.e. 12s at 2200 to 2300 HS)

I hate the idea of having to change the tail gears just to run really low head speed.

I think it would be easier to, like with my X3, just take 30 seconds to change to longer tail blades. Then when I fly high HS I just change to the shorter ones. (68mm and 62mm in the case of the X3)

I probably should have mentioned that I would only run 115mm on low HS. Which asks the question, will my mains flex too much at low HS because of the lack of centrifugal force and hit the tail blades or boom?

So, will I be able to do that with 700mm blades? (Zeal 700)
Only one way to find out, the V3 has enough counter pitch to stall the motor! Not really but damn near! Just take her high and see how it does.

Zeal tails are total crap on this heli at 2200 rpms by the way. The stock will blow the tail up, the zeals with blow the tail up and the Rails are silent and happy. Sure I could have balanced the stock or zeal but it shouldn't vibe as bad as those did.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see you're building a HK kit tho. They don't list any specs on it I wonder if it is actually V3 specs or not considering it runs straight cut gears?

Just what the Dr. ordered

Old 01-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
Only one way to find out, the V3 has enough counter pitch to stall the motor! Not really but damn near! Just take her high and see how it does.
Lol I noticed there was a ton of travel on the swash, just moving it by hand (no servos yet)

Quote:
I see you're building a HK kit tho. They don't list any specs on it I wonder if it is actually V3 specs or not considering it runs straight cut gears?
The Assault is identical to the Align V3. In fact I am getting all Align black gears (I hate straight cut gears) and I have all Align shafts. I am also gonna be upgrading to the V2 tail assembly, with the non-stepped shaft. So it is the exact same in terms of height as the V3.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
Lol I noticed there was a ton of travel on the swash, just moving it by hand (no servos yet)

The Assault is identical to the Align V3. In fact I am getting all Align black gears (I hate straight cut gears) and I have all Align shafts. I am also gonna be upgrading to the V2 tail assembly, with the non-stepped shaft. So it is the exact same in terms of height as the V3.
That's the tail pitch I'm referring to

Good deal, pretty cheap build for you then. KST servos ftw! Make sure to get a giant esc, these things can peak some high amps depending what motor you go with that is.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
That's the tail pitch I'm referring to .

Psh. I knew that

Yeah I agree there also, it does have a lot
Quote:

Good deal, pretty cheap build for you then. KST servos ftw! Make sure to get a giant esc, these things can peak some high amps depending what motor you go with that is
Yup already decided, KST DS725MG Cyclic and DS525MG tail

Going with either a Castle Edge 160HV or the HobbyWing 160HV if its out by the time I'm looking for a ESC.

I bought a KDE 700XF
Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been running 713s and 115s for a while and haven't had an issue
Blue Thunder 700 RCHN #365
G500,E5 12s,600np dfc, t500 dfc beater
Jackass1277 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stock tails work fine running all the way down to 6s head speeds UNLESS you run the speed fuse. In that case, slightly longer tails (or a higher ratio) is in order. Having said that, I don't run much of anything besides Rail 106mm as others are hit and miss for bringing on the tail vibrations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in