Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters

Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters Electric Micro Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for help choosing a new machine

I would like to ask everyone’s opinion on help choosing a new RC Helicopter. I'm a semi-experienced RC Plane pilot and have also owned RC cars and boats. I've flown the little Sky Hog helicopters for a while and have since moved up to and flown (my son's Xmas present) coaxial copter.

I have researched the dickens out of moving up to something bigger and I am quite honestly torn between several models/features. I came across your website and was really impressed with its contents so I thought I'd give a shot at asking for help out here – I’ve read some older posts but with the new models out there I’m starting a new thread.

I have read and know about the difference between a fixed pitch and the CP copters. I'm (financial constraints) looking in the "200" size. I lean towards a fixed pitch but don't want to get stuck with it and its limited capabilities below the CP kind. I also want to get a RTF with a radio included so I start right out with a complete package.

However researching them all has about made my head explode. So I'm hoping to seek some experienced advice! So, from my endless research and reading and comparing I've come up with the following list:

1) Walkera HM Master CP (Flybarless, upper end of my $ range, included radio seems very nice, separate tail motor, however lots of plastic parts and a brushed main motor are detractors and its CP which obviously requires more skill but its touted for beginners – I’m just not sure how much to believe the marketing).

2) Blade 200 SRX (Flybarless, extreme upper end of $ range, decent radio, separate tail motor and both it and main are brushless, however its fixed pitch and I’ve read some forums with people listing quality problems. However this one I can get from a US based firm).

3) Nine Eagles 228P (Flybar model, lower $, radio seems pretty basic without any means of adjustment, fixed pitch, brushed motors however it does have a separate tail motor that’s shaft driven, Bell Rotor head that seems pretty bullet proof).

4) WL V912 "MAX" Mini Helicopter (Brushless Motor Edition): This one keeps tickling my fancy except I keep wavering at its fixed pitch; (it’s also a flybar model but it’s got a Bell head, both motors are upgraded brushless, it’s actually lower on the $ scale which is appealing and the radio seems decent).

Those are my top four. I have also eyeballed a Dynam E-razor 250 Carbon Edition, an Exceed MadHawk 300 as well as an Esky Honey Bee and Double Horse models but they are hard to find and I can’t find much to read about them.

So, that’s my story – I’m hoping this isn’t too long or too much to digest and someone out there would find some time to be able to respond and give me some much needed advice.
HuffleHill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello and welcome to Helifreak.
As you are aware there are so many helis to choose from and I had the same problem a few years ago. From your list, the one that shines out is the Blade 200. If you didn't know, it has a "rescue" type feature where, if you panic, you press a button and it will instantly fly level. It also has a beginner mode which wont allow you to bank more than a safe angle. Blade are good quality and very popular and the good thing is that spare parts will always be easy to find in most hobby stores; an important point to consider. Here's a few more:http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...licopters.html

If you are serious about helicopters, you WILL eventually need a better (computer) radio than the LP6DSM 6-channel that comes with the 200 SRX. Something like the new DX6 from Spektrum is a good starting point. All Spektrum radios will work with Blade helis so consider it an investment. This hobby isn't cheap!

But if funds are tight to start, the 200 SRX could be a good starter package. I have flown many Blade models but not the 200 so can't comment on it directly. The tiny Blade MCPX is collective pitch as is the new 180 but they don't have the rescue function. The best size to learn on really is a 450 or higher but that is more expensive.

I think the Blade 200 RTF will be a good starting point and give you a taste of helicopters but if you definitely want to go on from there, you need to look at radios like the DX6 or better. If you are a photographer, the lens is the most important bit of kit. If you fly RC helicopters, a good radio is the most important bit of kit and will serve you well into the future.

Finally, consider the T REX range of models from Align. They are great quality, well priced and spares are available everywhere. A T Rex 450 or bigger is something to consider later if you get hooked! This is RTF with radio: http://www.aligntrexstore.com/T-REX-...83_p_1954.html
but has a Futaba radio. It doesn't matter what radio brand you go for, but stick with Futaba, JR or Spektrum as their technology is well supported with most models. All Spektrum radios and most JR will work with all the Blade range of helis.

I hope some of what I've said is a help. Come back and ask more if you need to. This site has lots of guys willing to help.
Good luck
Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there,

I entered this hobby back in April so I can really understand the position you're in at the moment.

Of the helicopters that you listed, I would like to put a strong vote in for the Blade 200 SRX. It has been known to have its problems, the RTF model I first purchased ended up displaying the dreaded "pirouette of death" after about 10 flights. However, Horizon Hobby has phenomenal customer service and they replaced my helicopter promptly. I've had no troubles since.

When combining the helicopter's two different 6-axis stabilized flight modes and an advanced 3-axis stabilized "agility" mode with the SAFE switch, the helicopter really can (if flown carefully) see one through the absolute beginner fundamentals into advanced flying abilities. In fact, in agility mode, the 200 SRX flies just like a CP helicopter that isn't in "idle up" (i.e normal mode).

In short, the 200 SRX taught me a lot about spatial reasoning, coordination, and control and really ushered me into this hobby. I've now got a Spektrum DX6 transmitter and a Blade Nano CPX. Lately, I have been using the 200 SRX in agility mode exclusively to prepare for a Trex 250 Pro which I hope to start flying soon.

I hope you enjoy whichever helicopter you end up choosing!
Bioblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in