Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2004, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MA Muffler Clamp-Any problems?

I have a Fury with the MA muffler clamp and the damn thing keeps coming loose. I have ground a flat on the shaft portion so the set screw sits on it but no luck. It keeps coming loose. I use red loctite on it too.

Is this clamp any good? This is a SB-15 muffler on a YS80 in a Fury Extreme.

Any other suggestions?

Jeff
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are using red thread lock I would guess you have never snugged the set screw up tight. I had to run a tap down the threads of mine to clean them out before I was able to snug up the screw. That's a 4mm set screw and it can take a gorilla grip. My clamp is holding fine with green thread lock.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
capebob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah Bob, the last time it came loose I ran a tap down the threads cleaned it up really good. I cleaned the set screw with alcohol and put a L shaped allen wrench and gave it the full on twisty death grip/vise grip lock.

Still no luck.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeff,

The only other thing I can think of is that your thread lock isn't biting. Red and blue aren't really very good for small parts like we use. Green is very thin and although only as strong as blue seems to bite better on small fasteners. Hard to imagine that red isn't working though. Good luck.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
capebob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll try green next time but yes you're right I would think red would do it.

Also I've been fighting a vib and may have it sorted out so maybe that's contributing to the loosening of the clamp.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2004, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

This guy makes the fines clamps I've ever seen for $ 30,-- each.
And he's a fast deliverer too.
I'm sure he will mail you a pic if you ask him.
estolz@charter.net
trickydicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2004, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used a 2 set screws and it helped. Ended up going to the stolz mount and tried it out this weekend.....sweeet...
conrod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sweeet flying this weekend too conrod! I gotta get me a Fury.....know anyone that wants to buy a sweet raptor 30 v2?....hehe

My HF Map location
BigVanVader is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been there, seen this.

1. It helps if you have one of the new SS standoffs which resist divoting by the set screw. Performance Specialties can help you out.
2. What I stumbled on that solved my problem was to use loctite primer on the set screw before insertion, and then use loctite 640 for threadlocker. It's holding solidly with no sign of letting go. Use the longest set screw you can find and avoid a hollow point version.

I think Eric's clamp is beautiful. The only thing that concerns me is whether it's going to take out at least the side frame in a crash since it forms such a rigid mount. Not a flame, just a concern.

Ben Minor
Dr.Ben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2004, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with loctite 640 is this a specific color loctite?

I just purchased a new clamp that a guy makes on RR. He sells them for a reasonable price.

I know what you mean about the frame damage in a crash. But I am prepared I have another set of side frames standing by. Hope I will never have to use them though.

I will also look into the Performance Specialties product.

Just this one little thing on my Fury is driving me crazy. Other than this little problem the machine is flying great this year.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2004, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
I will also look into the Performance Specialties product.
Jeff,
PS makes the clamp that MA sells.
I have seen the clamp that Greg Jestico makes and it is a nice clamp. I believe that is the person your referring to that is on RR.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Hey Ben, I can tell you from experience. Erich's clamp is rock solid. I took out a tree tail first inverted practicing my own version of that "gopher maneuver" everyone's talking about. My Tempest was a flying brick for about 66 feet before it hit the dirt and took out anything protruding from the fuse. It finally came to a stop over 106 feet from the initial tree impact which was only 5 feet off the ground! Erich's clamp held firm and didn't damage anything on the main fuse. Didn't even bend! My SB-16 looks like it was in a hail storm! If it hadn't been for Erich's clamp I'm positive my muffler would have been destroyed or possibly been thrown so far from the crash site I would have never even found it as was the case with most of the head!

Thanks Erich! :wink:
Rob Stump is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2004, 12:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

The brand name green lock tight was for things you NEVER want to take apart again (it is listed as permanent, & truckers use it alot on HUGE fasteners- that then require the heat of a mapp gas torch tom remove if needed..) I use only the real name-brand Lock-tight, & you MUST shake the blue bottle WELL or it doesn't work, the chemicals in the blue type, settle out & separate and its holding strength is greatly compromised if it works at all. The red doesn't need to be shaken before use as the chemicals don't separate , but I still do. Also I avoid the generic & spend the $ on the real stuff. If you use either the red or blue correctly you shouldn't have issue 1. Although- I did have a muffler that I used red LT on as well as lock-washers and it did continue to back out......Maybe the heat from the exhaust is compromising the lock tights holding ability, once the engine is hot. You know when you want to remove a something with red LT that is very tight, applying a little heat will make that fastener come out MUCH easier & you wont strip the cap screw either. Just a idea. I have used red on small fasteners and BROKEN the bolt threads off into the nut/whatever it was inserted to, because the stuff is SO strong. Go figure. Then I applied a little heat to the others and they backed right out easy. Also making sure the threads don't have any oil on them BEFORE applying LT is important for proper adhesion.
Todd Marsh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in