Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 300cfx, 450x, or 500x?

Trying to decide what to get. I've been flying the Blade Nano CF X for a while now and can do a little 3D. I've also been practicing a lot on RealFlight 7.

I'm getting frustrated because the nano can't handle any wind outside which is where I like to fly and practice more 3D stuff. I want to get something better for the backyard/local park outdoor flying.

I'm thinking about skipping over the 130x because it's so similar in size to the nano. The 300 CFX seems like a very capable smaller size hell but the 450x and 500x are both only $100 more. The only other possibility I'm really considering is the Mini Protos because it looks really cool. The 300 CFX and 500 CFX also look really sweet!

I also have a 306b and 500w power supply to handle batteries in this size range. Thanks for your input!
flyboy_82 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

How big is your flying area?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go for the 450. It takes about as much space as the 300CFX but has been out for longer and is basically "debugged" and a good heli that's cheaper than a 500 to crash and to supply batteries for. It'll be intimidating at first just from the sound of spool up but it flies so much better than a micro that you'll quickly get over that fear.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

There are a few options for where I can fly. Right outside my apartment complex space is a bit limited. There's a parking lot that's usually empty that's about 100 ft x 100 ft.

If I want more room I could go down to the local public park that has large fields. There is also a local AMA club that has a field but a little bit more of a drive, so it would have to be more of a weekend thing.

It seems like I have a couple options: stay smaller and fly more near my house, or go bigger and fly at the big fields less often.

So I'm thinking smaller would be 130x/300x size, larger would be 500x size, and 450x somewhere in the middle.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

I fly both my 130x and 300x up and down the streets and over my house all the time. I break out the larger birds (450x/550x) when i go to the local park
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy_82 View Post
Trying to decide what to get. I've been flying the Blade Nano CF X for a while now and can do a little 3D. I've also been practicing a lot on RealFlight 7.

I'm getting frustrated because the nano can't handle any wind outside which is where I like to fly and practice more 3D stuff. I want to get something better for the backyard/local park outdoor flying.

I'm thinking about skipping over the 130x because it's so similar in size to the nano. The 300 CFX seems like a very capable smaller size hell but the 450x and 500x are both only $100 more. The only other possibility I'm really considering is the Mini Protos because it looks really cool. The 300 CFX and 500 CFX also look really sweet!

I also have a 306b and 500w power supply to handle batteries in this size range. Thanks for your input!
$125 going 450X to 500x plus double battery cost.

Best 450X BNF price $325 plus shipping
Best 500X BNF price $450 plus shipping

Best meaning best I am aware of...others may know better prices.

HH will sell you the $500X for $425 shipped if you can find an unused 15% off coupon.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could kick myself I just flebayed my 450x..got it cheap..I might get another..it was new but I wanted a 350qx I just flew my 130x flies great..I know it has issues now I'm torn b/t getting a 350qx or 450x.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't go larger than the 300 unless you're going to the AMA field. 100x100 is small even for a 300 and 450's are a little too dangerous to fly at public parks. People are stubborn and will walk right into the flying lawnmower to prove they have just as much right to be there as the helicopter.

If you're dead set on 100x100 area the 300 isn't a bad deal since you can move the flybarless controller to a larger kit later on. Just wont be able to open her up much when it comes to any sort of big sky flying. But the 300 is big enough that you wont look like a total dork if you take it the AMA field once in a while
TheQuixote is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Based on what you're describing, I'd echo the 300 or 450 out of what you listed, Just keep in mind that while you "can" fly the 300 in a smaller space, its still pretty fast and will eat up a lot of air. I'd dare say its not until you progress further that you'll really be able to actually enjoy the 300X in a smaller space... Even a 130X will use up space very quickly in comparison to the Nano.

I would personally not consider the 130 similar at all to the nano even though they may appear to be not that much larger physically.

Have you given any consideration to an mCPX BL or Trex 150? I have both, my take is that the mCPX BL is more durable from a learning perspective, while the 150 flies "larger" and will give more benefit to more advanced learning after the majority of crashing is done.

The mCPX BL taught me a LOT and is still fun to fly in smaller spaces, on lunch breaks, etc... First IRL inverted hovers, funnels, 1/2 piro flips were all with that little bird... Its quite capable until your ready to commit to a club field with a 450 or similar...

My summary of the above for what its worth...

mCPX BL - Phenomenal trainer, worlds more capable than the nano, but it still ultimately flies like a micro.

Trex 150 - Flies bigger than it is. Piro comp etc all work great, most impressive driven tail micro I've seen.

130X - Absolutely flies larger, though the least crash tolerant and most "fiddly" of the micro's for sure.

300X - Very capable, has BeastX, I have many upgrades on mine and still love flying it, but you really do need almost as much space as a 450 while you're learning...

450X - Very solid airframe for the money. Honestly, probably about the best you can get once you take into consideration price, parts availability, etc for learning on, and it also offers flexibility in the future. I have the Lynx stretch on mine, KST servos, and an iKON, new motor, etc... and while its not the same as the Warp, it does fly great, low maintenance, and still serves its purpose in my "fleet". I personally won't fly it at a park etc though, it needs its space.

500X - After upgrading to a metal tail, I've not had any problems personally, it flies great but is a HUGE step-up from a Nano...

Personally, I'd vote mCPX BL then 450X, then eventually add something like the Trex 150, then a 500 / larger down the road.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
I fly both my 130x and 300x up and down the streets and over my house all the time. I break out the larger birds (450x/550x) when i go to the local park
I thought Houston banned all off club flying on public property, parks, etc? If I remember right, it was due to the accident years ago where a student let his heli get out of control and it hit/killed his instructor. I don't want to post any links but one can Google "Tom Bass Park Houston" and the related R/C heli terms.
jadewarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 130x flies waaaay bigger than the nano, there's really no comparison. You might not want to hear this but, if I was going to fly in a 100'x100' space I'd prefer the 130x over the 300x or anything larger. The 300x can get away on you quickly, especially if you're learning, or are experienced and learning new moves. I always fly my 130x, or any heli for that matter, over grass as it survives the occasional crash far better there than on pavement. The 130x will feel surprisingly big and powerful coming from a Nano.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow - really good input, and very helpful indeed.

As much as would really like a larger Blade, it sounds like what I really need is a micro.

Inverted2112 - your comments were especially helpful.

I'm thinking something like the mCPX BL or Trex 150 is what I really need. I'd be able to fly something like that a lot more that I could a 300, 450, or 500 size bird until I move somewhere that has easier access to a big field.

Guess it's time to head over to the micro forum! I'll let you guys know what I end up going for.

Feel free to offer any other suggestions. Thanks again for the insightful comments!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good luck. There is no best choice- only a best for YOU choice. Choose your poison.

Or do what I did and buy em all.

+1 to what Inverted says above.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered the mCP x BL! Found a package deal on ebay with 6 free Pulse batteries. Looking forward to putting it throug its paces!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy_82 View Post
Just ordered the mCP x BL! Found a package deal on ebay with 6 free Pulse batteries. Looking forward to putting it throug its paces!
It is a great heli. but its fast, turn up the DR and Expo and have fun

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

-"DIY soup Airtime skids"(google)- must have...look at the skids wrong and they break
-2.5mm solid cf rod or buy blades solid cf boom, the stocker breaks easy when learning.
-Plastidip spray the inside of the canopy, it makes the plastic rebound instead of cracking

I've flown in 12+ mph winds, is does well. I usually do big air stuff, FFF, big loops etc. when you get the hang of it it's quite fun in the Texas winds.

Just got my 300CFX today, hovered in the back yard for 2 packs, it's my first larger heli..... So sweet. The sim and the BL made it possible.

I bought the nano-tech 300mah batt's, fly for 4:30, plus a little to land, never gone below 28% life left.
Doom Buggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am about to sell my 450 because my 500 just arrived.
I have a really nice flying field really close so I have a ton of space to fly.

The 450 is a great heli. It can do almost anything you throw at it. One of the experts at our field took it out for a spin and OMG that thing is amazing. I am a decent pilot and I really like the fact that it is a stable flyer. Great for sport flying and my mild 3D when I feel confident.

I would say get the 450. They are on sale just about everywhere right now.
I can sell you mine cheap, but at $350 for a brand new one you can't go wrong.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgerry View Post
-"DIY soup Airtime skids"(google)- must have...look at the skids wrong and they break
-2.5mm solid cf rod or buy blades solid cf boom, the stocker breaks easy when learning.
-Plastidip spray the inside of the canopy, it makes the plastic rebound instead of cracking

+1. airtime skids, plastidip canopy spray. I also recommend getting a lynx stretch kit as soon as your boom breaks (instead of getting a regular solid boom). Another must have mod is a better tail blade and o-rings on all links.
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man, I'd take a 450 over a 250 or smaller any day! Definitely worth a little drive . For a club a 450 is kinda small, then you would want to go to a 500 or larger.

About the mini protos: I know someone who has one, and setting up the belt can be a bit tedious, but I've read so much about Blade quality issues... So maybe it's worth getting the protos. Otherwist Align or Gaui are options ofc.

I'm totally not impressed by the servos that Blade uses for the 450x, they're just not up to the task...
Says someone who doesn't own a 450x (and I don't intend to buy one...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in