Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Copycat 500 build

So my left mouse button went crazy and ordered an HK500GT. No, I don't have the skills to fly it yet, I just want a project to work on. I've started a wish list of components to get for it based on what JettaManDan is using, and also watching Finless's and nutcaze's videos for ideas and how-to. Lots of different opinions and options!

I need a hex driver set, and I'll need a new battery charger eventually. Mine only goes up to 4 cells.
My biggest concern with ordering parts for the 500 is making sure I get the correct connectors for each component so they're compatible with each other. I hate having to re-order stuff because of that!

I'm hoping the weatherman is correct about the weather this weekend. I need to get the Bee back out there and get it dialed in after the changes I made and get some real practice in!
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldladypilot View Post
So my left mouse button went crazy and ordered an HK500GT. No, I don't have the skills to fly it yet, I just want a project to work on. I've started a wish list of components to get for it based on what JettaManDan is using, and also watching Finless's and nutcaze's videos for ideas and how-to. Lots of different opinions and options!

I need a hex driver set, and I'll need a new battery charger eventually. Mine only goes up to 4 cells.
My biggest concern with ordering parts for the 500 is making sure I get the correct connectors for each component so they're compatible with each other. I hate having to re-order stuff because of that!

I'm hoping the weatherman is correct about the weather this weekend. I need to get the Bee back out there and get it dialed in after the changes I made and get some real practice in!
you should have no problem servo and Rx wise...i change all my ESC and battery conectors to deans...some think there are better options and i agree..but with 35 flying vehicles and like 60 + lipo's...there is no going back now! knowing i will change it all to that helps me a lot when i get new ESC's and Motors and Lipo's that need soldering. I use 3.5mm bullets for the ESC to motor connections on my 450's and smaller stuff..and 4mm bullets on this 500 heli...and deans for all the battery to ESC connections...servo's you are fine with they all have the standard connectors now..

just remember i'm a beginner too pretty much! don't take my word at everything..Finless and Nutcaze are much better than me lol

i'll help with any questions you got. welcome to the insanity!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks!
Notes taken on the connector issue.
This 500 is in a whole different class as the rest of my heli's and I hope I'm not getting in over my head. I'm in no hurry though, this is a project that I want to take my time with. No trying to fly it until I feel confident enough to do so. (remind me of this if I'm tempted),
Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks!
Notes taken on the connector issue.
This 500 is in a whole different class as the rest of my heli's and I hope I'm not getting in over my head. I'm in no hurry though, this is a project that I want to take my time with. No trying to fly it until I feel confident enough to do so. (remind me of this if I'm tempted),
you'll be tempted...i'm sure!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rather jealous OLP.
Finless' vids were invaluable to me on my first 450build. Nutcaze is good too but he sometimes tends to over emphasize on minor details, I guess it's just his style.

+1 on the 4mm bullet conectors for b/l motor and ESC

I have a preference for the XT60 battery connectors that most HK batteries come with now.
Most people seem to use either the Deans or XT60 for 300-500 size helis.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
you'll be tempted...i'm sure!
I'm sure I will!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post

Rather jealous OLP.
Finless' vids were invaluable to me on my first 450build. Nutcaze is good too but he sometimes tends to over emphasize on minor details, I guess it's just his style.

+1 on the 4mm bullet conectors for b/l motor and ESC

I have a preference for the XT60 battery connectors that most HK batteries come with now.
Most people seem to use either the Deans or XT60 for 300-500 size helis.
Dude, You have 2 450's! Don't be jealous, you'll get a 500!

Nutcaze does not like the HK main gear and thinks replacing it with a Trex one is better. In fact he thinks replacing quite a few HK parts with Trex is a good idea.....Maybe so....but if that's the case then I should have just got a Trex 500 which wouldn't have happened for me financially.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm sure I will!!

Nutcaze does not like the HK main gear and thinks replacing it with a Trex one is better. In fact he thinks replacing quite a few HK parts with Trex is a good idea.....Maybe so....but if that's the case then I should have just got a Trex 500 which wouldn't have happened for me financially.
If you sit on ebay like i do you can get one!! I just scored a Genuine TREX 500 kit for $150 shipped!!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
If you sit on ebay like i do you can get one!! I just scored a Genuine TREX 500 kit for $150 shipped!!
Dude, you're getting another one? You haven't even finished building the first one

Both of you congratulations on your purchases though Although I have to join Steemo with the jealousy part I'll stick with the FPV2 and future CP3 for now, maybe next year though
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wow! What a great deal!! You win!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdouden View Post
Dude, you're getting another one? You haven't even finished building the first one

Both of you congratulations on your purchases though Although I have to join Steemo with the jealousy part I'll stick with the FPV2 and future CP3 for now, maybe next year though
You guys can be secure in the knowledge that you are more sensible then me! I did not need this 500...I just wanted it!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Yeah i know...i'm the king of "i need a spare to build in case of..." but a factory Align 500 for only $150 was not a deal i could pass up! well...i should have but

i'll build the frame this winter and have it ready in case the 1st one bites the dust lol
Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wow! What a great deal!! You win!!

You guys can be secure in the knowledge that you are more sensible then me! I did not need this 500...I just wanted it!
no no..i LOSE... money i don't have and spent on impulse! but i'll be glad to have an original one in the garage in reserve...

and trust me..i didn't NEED a 500 in the 1st place either...i just wanted one too...it always works that way lol!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I'm sure I will!!

Just buy the Align authentic parts as you need them. the main ones I replace for the real deal are

Spares #1 Main Gear: almost every HK main gear I have seen is either warped or egg shaped to some extent, some flyable some not. I almost always strip main gears in crashes involving blade strike so you will probably want 2 in stock..
Spares #2 Feathering Shaft: when you have >30cm blades being spun around at >2000rpm it gives me piece of mind to know there's decent quality hardware holding them in place.
Spares #3 Main Shaft: Less likely to bend after minor crashes and hard landings.

Non essential but recommended upgrades
Upgrade #1: Super Belt (not necessarily Align brand): better quality won't stretch as much as the clone ones and much less likely to break (unless you got a TT model). If you get a good one it's unlikely you will need another for a while, no need to buy more than 1 or 2.

Upgrade #2:Align one way bearing and tail gear. Aslo unlikely to break easiely so only 1 or 2 if you like (they come in a combo pack with a main gear that is good value)

Some replace more, other less depends on ya budget
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
no no..i LOSE... money i don't have and spent on impulse! but i'll be glad to have an original one in the garage in reserve...

and trust me..i didn't NEED a 500 in the 1st place either...i just wanted one too...it always works that way lol!
Like moths to flame we are....
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Like moths to flame we are....
THE LIGHT!! THE LIGHT!!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I think my wife has more to do with it than sensibility
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just buy the Align authentic parts as you need them. the main ones I replace for the real deal are

Spares #1 Main Gear: almost every HK main gear I have seen is either warped or egg shaped to some extent, some flyable some not. I almost always strip main gears in crashes involving blade strike so you will probably want 2 in stock..
Spares #2 Feathering Shaft: when you have >30cm blades being spun around at >2000rpm it gives me piece of mind to know there's decent quality hardware holding them in place.
Spares #3 Main Shaft: Less likely to bend after minor crashes and hard landings.

Non essential but recommended upgrades
Upgrade #1: Super Belt (not necessarily Align brand): better quality won't stretch as much as the clone ones and much less likely to break (unless you got a TT model). If you get a good one it's unlikely you will need another for a while, no need to buy more than 1 or 2.

Upgrade #2:Align one way bearing and tail gear. Aslo unlikely to break easiely so only 1 or 2 if you like (they come in a combo pack with a main gear that is good value)

Some replace more, other less depends on ya budget
Thanks Steemo! Wow, I have quite a list here....maybe I should have just bought a Trex!

Quote:
I think my wife has more to do with it than sensibility
Being single has it's advantages! It doesn't help my bank account balance much though!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you guys think of this stuff?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=495975

Should I get 6 cell batteries or use 2 3 cells? What mAH?

Last edited by Oldladypilot; 10-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: fix link
Oldladypilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

OLP. That 500 is a smart move. If I know then what I know now. (or sumptin like dat). I would gone with a 500 and at least a DX7.
Not that the 450 / DX6 is all that bad, it isn't. But for just a bit more, the 500 expodentially is a better buy I believe.

Great choice!
Chris Arena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks Steemo! Wow, I have quite a list here....maybe I should have just bought a Trex!
Nah, that would work out waay more expensive.
And I didn't buy that stuff all at once, just as crash damage dictated.
Quote:
Should I get 6 cell batteries or use 2 3 cells? What mAH
Definitely 6 cell for 500 size, seem most people use between 2500 - 3000mah.

Quote:

- These bullet connectors will probably be better as the other ones you have are joined in sets of 2 and you need 3 for b/l motor. get some shrink tubing if you don't have any to insulate them (finless has a great vid on how to solder these up).

- The servo's look good if you want a better tail servo try this one, is you stick with the 15158B you can't ship the USA w/h one with all the other stuff (2 x shipping sux). There is one from the international w/h here

- If i had to choose between the 2 ESC's I'd go for the Turnigy with the big heat sink.

- That motor is lots more power than you will need, many of us use the Turnigy H Series with great success, here's the one for 500's

- And from what I've gathered that gyro is the same as the "telebee" which doesn't seem to have many bad reviews, so you should be good there. I want this one for bling factor and it comes with the programming box.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Should I get 6 cell batteries or use 2 3 cells? What mAH?
do not get 2 3s packs...there is not as much space up top as you think..i have a 6s 3000mah blue lipo and it fits snugly...so i'd do that...or a 2650...my 2 2200 3s packs will not fit no matter how i stack them...

i'm a big fan of the 401 clone gyro's...i just got mine setup on this big sucker and after an adjustment the tail held great...so i'd get one of those...plus it is cheaper...the 1800kv motor is a little high for this...get the turnigy 1600kv...it works perfect in mine..

and those hobbyking ESC's don't seem to work well...at least get the turnigy 85 amp one i have...gotta say it worked great right away....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in