Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Simulator???

Hello,

New member - first post

I am interested in a Blade 120SR or Nano CP, but think it makes sense to spend the bucks to get a decent simulator to get schooled in heli flying before crashing it on the ground.

In addition, I would like to be able to use the controller toward my first purchase...

Suggestions?
Vibrating Bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheapest and fastest way to learn is the use of a simulator. Phoenix and Real Flight are both very good.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Find yourself a used Spektrum dx6i and get Phoenix Flight sim and your good to go!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the Phoenix flight sim and if you are going for blade helis then you can't go rong with a Dx6i.

Welcome to the hobby!

Jim
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can always look into helisims for free and pick yourself up a cheap controler with cable, this way you don't spend to much before you know it's something you want to stick out. It's not the best sims but will give you enough to get started.. Just a newbies .02
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep +1 on the Phoenix but if its any thing to go by LIKE ME upgrade !!!! Look at a 8ch trans like either spectrum Dx8 or a JR 8 Chanel as they will work with sims and are BNF which is bind and fly Helis likes of Blade etc best to go that way now and works out cheaper in the long run helicopter flying is very hard so if you get what you will end up using it is better then you get to know the gear my 2c worth anyway and I'm only new to Helios my self but have done planes cars boats , I have Phoenix sim and MCPX which they don't make anymore beggar good learner best of luck
Mick
wolfie64666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think your approach is great and I agree that Phoenix with a Spektrum/JR compatible radio would be a great choice. You will be using that radio to fly your helis so it is perfect traiing. When I am out flying my heli I do not have to look down at my radio to flip idle up or to hit throttle hold, or even to start my flight timer. My fingers are at home on the face of that radio.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just gonna add to the page for a +1 on getting Phoenix and a transmitter. Don't get the transmitter that comes with it however. It is essentially useless because if you ever wanna go to a real helicopter, then you need 6 channels. I recommend the Spektrum DX6i (w/o reciever) for your radio. I am new to the hobby too but I guarantee you, if u pick up a heli without a sim, u WILL crash it many many times. Also, as a first heli to get, i'd say go straight to the nano if u think your doing alright on a sim. I say this because u save a lot of money being able to skip that whole 4 channel stage.
sgtdan707 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the pheonix since i bought mine about 4 months ago its updated itself with many new helis and flying sites and the graphics seem to get better. And the great part is the updates are free! My take on the transmitter radio and im going to quote ron lund from heliproz in texas "If you are thinking about a new radio for your R/C helicopter, please remember that the transmitter is the only thing you can buy that will last for a very long time. You can't crash your transmitter! Investing in a good R/C Heli transmitter is wise. You get better components, better software and better gimbals for a smoother feel. As you move ahead in the hobby, you won't have to worry about buying a new transmitter. A good rule of thumb is: Spend as much as you can afford on your transmitter." Take this advice it will save you hundreds even thousands of dollars in the long run. If you plan on moving up and chances are you will then you should look at something with at least 7 channel. If you do that now then when you want that 7 channel heli you wont have to spend the additional 350 dollars. I have a dx6i a dx4e several 4 channels and my latest purchase is the futaba 8fg super which is actually 14 channels! So if you wanna waste money then go the route i did.
ChapaWolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing is from my experience people selling things in the for sale portion of this site are not trying to take your money and offload some worthless crap they actually are selling a good product so like the gentleman said earlier in this thread BUY USED! Great deals from honest people thats my experience.
ChapaWolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw a guy crash his TX once. Happened just a few seconds after his plane crashed. I think he got confused and thought he was playing football and had just scored a touchdown cause he spiked that mother like a pro.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in