Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default NEW - Walkera Genius CP Videos

OK folks with the advent of the MCPx and it huge popularity, Walkera has responded with their own heli in this class the Walkera Genius CP. I got my hands on one thanks to Walkera and will be doing videos just like I did for the MCPx. So with that, on with the show.

First up is whats in the box and general overview of the heli and radio.

VIDEO -> Genius CP - What's in the box! (80 Megs)

VIDEO -> Genius CP - Stick Adjustments and Mode Change (43 Megs)

This one I think is important to understand auto bind and ID mode. Please guys use the more secure ID mode after auto bind. I have 2 radios and I can confuse the heli in auto bind mode powering up both radios. This means at the field if you use only auto bind mode your heli "could" accidentally bind to another radio.
VIDEO -> Genius CP - Binding and understanding the modes of binding (78 Megs)

On to the videos about the Devo 6
VIDEO -> Genius CP - Devo6 Main screen and System Menus (53 Megs)

VIDEO -> Genius CP - Devo6 Model Menus (54 Megs)

VIDEO -> Genius CP - Devo6 Function Menus Part 1 (68 Megs)

VIDEO -> Genius CP - Devo6 Function Menus Part 2 (55 Megs)

OK My setup info and first flight evaluation thoughts.
VIDEO -> Genius CP - My Setup / TIps & Flight Evaluation (55 Megs)

OK I did a BUNCH of flying and tuning this weekend on the Genius CP. However I had new guys running the camera and they had a hard time staying on this little heli. I wound up taking 2 takes using 2 different camera men. I am going to show both videos. So sorry the videos are not as good as I would like to show you but this is the best I could do this weekend. I think they are good enough to show you what this heli can do.

VIDEO -> Genius CP - Flight Eval Take 1 (77 Megs)

VIDEO -> Genius CP - Flight Eval Take 2 (114 Megs)

UPDATES!
This video is a couple of things.
1) I show the new Canoy
2) I show my CP pot settings and explain what I like
3) Devo 6 software update instructions

VIDEO -> Genius CP - Canopy, My Settings, and Devo 6 S/W Upgrade (80 Megs)

UPDATE 12-1-2011
Some folks are having trouble upgrading the Devo6 to 0.3A and Lib 0.2. I did another video to show the exact process for doing this upgrade. The other video did not upgrade the Lib so it is important for this upgrade to do things in the right way.

VIDEO -> Devo 6 Ver 0.3a / Lib 0.2 S/W Upgrade (17 Megs)

Enjoy,
Bob

Last edited by HF_Jason; 01-23-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks nice, really like the "real" servos, the weak point with the mCP X.

Color/touch screen,,,,,,,,way cool.
Never had a Walkera, but after watching ALL the videos, it might be my next bird.

Have you flown it yet?

Thanks Bob,

Craig

EDIT: I hope it's as crash worthy as the mCP X

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No I have not flown it yet as I did not want to trash it before doing the videos

Bob
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, if you like the Devo 6, they also have a normal size Devo 8 with normal antenna, and then the Devo 12 (only $499) which is full size, full range, etc.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes I saw the Devo 8 and 12 while I was visiting Wow Hobbies last week. Nice radios but they need stick stops for heli guys and the timer needs to be louder. I explained to Walkera this just last night. I took the radio apart and the screw holes are there for adding stick stops

Bob
Old 10-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright, you now have me excited about this heli.

Can you tell us how many videos you have at this point (first day of post)?
When do you think you'll have more videos up?

Sorry but some of us don't live where you can fly year round and winter is close in coming.

Thanks,

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great overview of whats in the box Bob looking forward to see the series

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great overview of what's in the box Bob! Can't wait to see the rest of the videos!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finless, the allen keys that were included with my Genius do not fit the screws in the feathering spindle. I had to use the allen keys that were included with my M120D01 (they were the right size). Please check to see if it is the same story with the allen keys included with your Genius, and comment on it if possible. Thanks.
all-thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh, also what it a 6 axis gyro? Some of us just need to know.

Craig

Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did get my tail end fixed but my tail blade is broken.

But I did want to mention when I put mine back together, I had a yellow shrink wrap that I put on the tail boom. It does make it stand out better, however if anyone wants to do that, it does require redoing the wiring for the tail motor unfortunately.. that is the wiring has to be un-soldered on one side so you can slide the tail boom off.

I suppose color electric tape would make it more visible from the tail end, or painting it a vivid color would also help.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	6328
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	259981  
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801

Last edited by Silver-techie; 10-13-2011 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Pic Attachment
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz58 View Post

Craig

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510143
Here is the details for your reference.
DLY0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz58 View Post

Craig
Here is a article on a 6 axis gyro chip probably not the one walkera used but will give you the basic idea http://invensense.com/mems/gyro/mpu6000.html

Regards David
Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,
don't you thnik you will have a try with TX 2801 Pro ?
If you check various forums, you can see a lot of people has it.
I think they are more than Devo !
dado099 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado099 View Post
Bob,
don't you thnik you will have a try with TX 2801 Pro ?
If you check various forums, you can see a lot of people has it.
I think they are more than Devo !
This may perhaps be true, but I wouldn't think it would be necessary.

In my opinion, the Devo just more fancy looking with a touch color screen. Other then that, it should allow out to fly it the same as a 2801.

I'd say these setting from the other form for the 2801 tx should do just fine:

Walkera Genius CP WK2801 compatible - Step by Step Setup Guide

I think... this thread is more of competition between the MCPx vs Genius.

However.. it is all up to Bob if he feels the need. Keep in mind though, Bob would have to get a separate bird that is compatible to the 2801. He can't simply bind that one he has to a 2801 tx.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

No 2801 will not be happening as they would have to send me that radio and the Genius heli that has an RX to work with the 2801. I do not know the facts on this 100% but seems to me Walkera is replacing the older radios with the Devo series anyway? Just a guess on my part

Bob
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
No 2801 will not be happening as they would have to send me that radio and the Genius heli that has an RX to work with the 2801. I do not know the facts on this 100% but seems to me Walkera is replacing the older radios with the Devo series anyway? Just a guess on my part

Bob
Pretty much. I enjoy the 2801 TX as it is, however.... Knowing myself...

I may end up breaking down and buying a Devo in the future.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post
Pretty much. I enjoy the 2801 TX as it is, however.... Knowing myself...

I may end up breaking down and buying a Devo in the future.
the 2801 is a very good radio, and well used and loved by many of us however technology moves on the devo offers many things the 2801 pro just cannot such as adjustable output power, on-line firmware update, ball bearing gimbals, software selectable switches.

with the devo range think of it like buying a car if you go for the bottom of the range you get a good basic features but as you go up the range you get more and more features like switchable functions, channels, flight modes, points to the curves etc
devo 6 only has 4 switches, Devo 8 has 8 switches switches Devo 12 has 16 switches.

Bob was saying there is no governor on the Devo 6 but there is governor, dual pitch glider functions and more on the Devo 12.

The beauty of Bob doing his video's based on the Devo 6 is they will work just as well for people with the devo's 8 and 12 the only aspect where it gets a little more tricky is the 12 has 9 point curves.

Regards David
Old 10-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
the 2801 is a very good radio, and well used and loved by many of us however technology moves on the devo offers many things the 2801 pro just cannot such as adjustable output power, on-line firmware update, ball bearing gimbals, software selectable switches.

with the devo range think of it like buying a car if you go for the bottom of the range you get a good basic features but as you go up the range you get more and more features like switchable functions, channels, flight modes, points to the curves etc
devo 6 only has 4 switches, Devo 8 has 8 switches switches Devo 12 has 16 switches.

Bob was saying there is no governor on the Devo 6 but there is governor, dual pitch glider functions and more on the Devo 12.

The beauty of Bob doing his video's based on the Devo 6 is they will work just as well for people with the devo's 8 and 12 the only aspect where it gets a little more tricky is the 12 has 9 point curves.

Regards David
Understood.

Saw the price on the Devo 12... pretty much jaw hit the ground, which I saw it a few weeks ago when getting the Genius.

I suppose... I'm bitter about it since my 2801 TX are not exactly 1 year old yet.

(Dat's... Dats... oh where's that flag) O o.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post

Regards David
David, you are sooooo right on this one. The beauty of learning the Devo 6 then when I went into Wow Hobbies and powered up an 8, the menu structure was the same with added menus for the other channels. So I have to give Walkera for the consistent implementation of the menus between the Devo line! I am not BS'ing you guys when I say the GUI on this radio is the BEST! Reminds me of my old 14mz and I love it!

I have to say the Devo 6 for what it is, is impressive as hell! These folks have it going on with radio UI interfaces and software for sure. I have some ideas for improvements I will be sharing with Walkera. Small stuff but just to add to ease of use. Stay tuned

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in