Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Support

Sorry tale, heavy burden to bear ! Sounds like there has to be an incompatibility with the Jeti and the Skookum FBL system. Inconceivable that two tx in a row would be faulty.

Was this occurring with different Rx and FBL units? If so tHere has to be an incompatibility, maybe the telemetry interferes with some hardware in the FBL. If you have access to a DSO this would be a much cheaper and less heartbreaking way of monitoring servo output and might reveal any interference on the servo output signal. I think you have yo change brand of FBL or radio, any people on the Skookum forum using Jets DS tx?
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Elcrappo, my new DS-14 is going bonkers

You have been flying for 6 years I can't see how it could be a setup problem on your part. When they get you rx a radio and it does it to them. Then what happens do they just give you a new tx?

Team aircapitalheli.com
Twill is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could name a hand full of people flying jeti and skookum with zero issues!
scott s is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
Sorry tale, heavy burden to bear ! Sounds like there has to be an incompatibility with the Jeti and the Skookum FBL system. Inconceivable that two tx in a row would be faulty.

Was this occurring with different Rx and FBL units? If so tHere has to be an incompatibility, maybe the telemetry interferes with some hardware in the FBL. If you have access to a DSO this would be a much cheaper and less heartbreaking way of monitoring servo output and might reveal any interference on the servo output signal. I think you have yo change brand of FBL or radio, any people on the Skookum forum using Jets DS tx?
I've got 4 x SK-720 BE's and 1 x SK-720 Blue running flawlessly.

Not only that but I sold Randy 2x R7's and an R9 reciever that I had used on my TDR, E5 and Protos 500 successfully for about 6 months before I switched them out with R3's(only because they are smaller). I never had a problem with those receivers or I never would have sold them. I don't unload faulty equipment.

I also know others with Skookum and Jeti.

I pre ordered my DS-16 within days of being able to order them and got mine in the first batch to the US.
I've installed 3 firmware updates to my TX including the latest TX firmware I'm running now. I haven't updated my recievers to the latest firmware just yet. I was waiting for the next Skookum firmware update that supports UDI before I updated my receivers.

That would have been the only difference since I flashed those recievers to the latest release before I shipped them. The only thing I hadn't done is test each of them after I flashed them.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use ds-16 and Skookum and all is good.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep, the 16 is still my drool over Tx and always has been. And I know Jeti is a stand up company, as is Esprit. Lucky for me, if you call this lucky, is this time I had three experienced pilots. Including our club president standing there watching the entire thing happen. I and three others saw the elev cyclic action reverse itself twice in one afternoon on the same heli.
Tx is going back, and maybe with the Sk720 if the same fbl unit will boot up again for me if needed? This way we can see if there is anything different at all with the Ds14 and the Sk720B trying to cooperate with each other? I do know if the Sk was doing it, it would be one servo. Not the whole function. The Tx defines the function. The entire swash was leaning. Both elev servos dip, one raised.
And going back to my old rescued trashy Ds7 isn't any choice compared with how fantastic the Jeti felt and flew when things were going right. Love the voice prompts, love, and I do mean absolutely loved the gymbal feel. The weight of the tx, and the screen is just killer. Telemetry, voice prompts are amazing.

Sorry for my venting guys. I have no real excuse, other than pure shock. No one purposely did this! There are no bad guys out to get anyone.

For now. I am going to respect Jeti and go very quiet as they work to discover what is happening. If it is something I did? I really, really want to know. LMH
Old 07-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Elcrappo, my new DS-14 is going bonkers

Really sorry to hear this, I have one of my helis running an SK720BE and no issues as others have stated.

My only question is if I understand correctly you had the servo reverse on the bench before the flight and when you couldn't reproduce it, you flew anyway. I don't understand why you didn't stop after you had it reverse and talk to Esprit again before trying to fly. I am sorry for your loss but did I understand this right?

//Dennis.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thunder Fighter is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
Really sorry to hear this, I have one of my helis running an SK720BE and no issues as others have stated.

My only question is if I understand correctly you had the servo reverse on the bench before the flight and when you couldn't reproduce it, you flew anyway. I don't understand why you didn't stop after you had it reverse and talk to Esprit again before trying to fly. I am sorry for your loss but did I understand this right?

//Dennis.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I didn't try and reproduce it. I was making sure it was gone. Or so I thought? Maybe not one of my best moves considering? Understand Jeti's response to me was that this is impossible? Which in some ways was putting me out on my own here? The day I called Esprit Danny was out. Lots of guys emailed and helped me however, many thanks guys!

But, thanks to Danny at Esprit for spending some serious time with me via the phone. The Ds 14 is on its way back for personal testing along with my Sk720B and R3. They sent me another Tx to cover me. They, their testers, the factory guys, and myself are just baffled. We did go over everything. Danny has some thoughts he wants to verify by testing with his own heli.

I just want to know what and why myself. So it doesn't happen again and to anyone else. IF it is something I did, lets spread the news around so no one else gets hit with the same moves.

I rebuilt a 600 just for the weekend and coupled it with my old refabbed Dx7. And had some of the best flights of my heli career on Sunday with our flying group. But, man oh man, after flying with the Jeti, the Dx7 feels horrible. There is simply no way I am going back to that Dx7 after flying with the Jeti. Realize whatever was in my heli #1 model position flew amazing, so this didn't happen every time I used the TX. After I had a chance to calm down and really see things from a different perspective, I am just thankful and glad to even have the privilege of flying. Or being part of this hobby at all.

This AAA motivated dysfunctional guy is back to just trying to enjoy the journey and not let the rocks through my glass house dictate my attitude.

And one way or the other, make whatever moves I have to to continue flying the worlds best radio.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure what to say. I know when I moved my Goblin 500 over from my 9503 i reversed the gyro on one of the swash servos. When I moved the sticks everything worked fine and went in the correct direction. But if you tilted the helicopter you saw the gyro corrected in the wrong direct. I took out a servo and servo mount on that little boo boo

But once I fix that all was good.

But you are saything that the servo direction is changing in flight . . . . . .That's weird to say the least.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm really hoping that Esprit & Jeti can find a reproducible and definitive source for this issue. I'm also hoping it's an isolated issue to your particular TX or your particular TX/RX/FBL combination. It's a real shame that you lost several helis to the issue whatever it may be.

I will admit that since I first picked up my DC16 back in December of 2012 I've always been concerned that given the complexity of the Jeti software, the multitude of model setup and control options, and multiple TX and RX firmware updates, that a firmware update could have the possibility of "breaking" one of my existing model setups and potentially causing a crash.

Every time I update firmware on either the TX or the RX I completely verify my setup both in the TX and also what the FBL controller is receiving from the RX in the PC-software for my BD3SX FBL controllers. So far I have yet to find an issue-- but a FBL Heli setup is rather simple in regards to TX programming. If I had a complex plane with multiple servos, balancing, mixing, etc, I would be even more concerned at every firmware update that the update might "break" something in the model setup.

I do *not* envy the job that Jeti's software and QA team have to repeat each time a new software update is released! I do hope they can get to the bottom of your problem though.
Jeti DC-16
Kiba is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
I'm really hoping that Esprit & Jeti can find a reproducible and definitive source for this issue. I'm also hoping it's an isolated issue to your particular TX or your particular TX/RX/FBL combination. It's a real shame that you lost several helis to the issue whatever it may be.

I will admit that since I first picked up my DC16 back in December of 2012 I've always been concerned that given the complexity of the Jeti software, the multitude of model setup and control options, and multiple TX and RX firmware updates, that a firmware update could have the possibility of "breaking" one of my existing model setups and potentially causing a crash.

Every time I update firmware on either the TX or the RX I completely verify my setup both in the TX and also what the FBL controller is receiving from the RX in the PC-software for my BD3SX FBL controllers. So far I have yet to find an issue-- but a FBL Heli setup is rather simple in regards to TX programming. If I had a complex plane with multiple servos, balancing, mixing, etc, I would be even more concerned at every firmware update that the update might "break" something in the model setup.

I do *not* envy the job that Jeti's software and QA team have to repeat each time a new software update is released! I do hope they can get to the bottom of your problem though.
All I can say is a superb Kudos to Danny at Esprit for walking with me through this. My Ds-14 is in his hands along with one of the Sk720 Blacks and receivers so he can try and replicate the issue on their end.

It is all I can ask! And to the guys thinking Jeti needs to replace my damaged helis? Not what I am asking for nor certainly not what I ever expected. The question of why is all that is really important here. Eventually I will recover. My AAA goal oriented attitude certainly needed a quick tuneup, and I enjoyed rebuilding my new franken heli Gob 800 created out of the mix of leftover and rescued parts more than just about anything I have done for a while since.

I view being in this hobby an incredible privilege to even own such things and get to hang with the guys I do.

Again, my sincere thanks to Danny and the gang at Esprit for everything.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
BD Forum Support

We all know anything in this bloody world can be broken. The most important thing is how they care about you if something happens. I know that even my Swiss watches can stop one day but I know that they will stand behind the product and make it work again even after 20 years. That's the main reason I choose things not only for my helicopters.

Good to hear Danny from JETI/Esprit takes care and stand behind the product. Thumbs up.
popokatepetl is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

And what is happening with this?
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbasanjohn View Post
And what is happening with this?
My deep appreciation for Danny working his butt off at Esprit trying to replicate the issue on his end. Numerous phone calls and emails. Questions about how and why I did things. All the bases he knows are being covered as well as possible? Not sure I could ask any more than this. I did send an email yesterday wondering if the use of different pre owned 2 R9, 2 R7 rx's purchased from two separate guys, then a new R3 could have confused things here? Rabbit trails upon rabbit trails. And me, a novice at this new system frustrates things due to my inexperience. But, if anyone out there knows and truly understands the Jeti system, it is surely Danny at Esprit. Wow. He has put some serious time into this issue. For anyone reading this thread. I wouldn't worry too much about your own, No one anywhere else has seen this issue from what I understand. And there are alot of these Tx's out there. By me probing around inside the tx and looking at virtually everything, I may have inadvertently done something to trigger this event. More like did, not may have.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Didn't Danny fly the system (the original ds-14) in his E5 and could not replicate your issue at all? Sure would like to know what is going on at your end now that you have upgraded to a
ds-16
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My reading of the problem is that Luvmyhelis was changing servo travel at the TX instead of doing it in the Skookum window. This way the servos reacted OK to the stick commands but the gyro was still reversed. I can't think of anything else...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe3 View Post
My reading of the problem is that Luvmyhelis was changing servo travel at the TX instead of doing it in the Skookum window. This way the servos reacted OK to the stick commands but the gyro was still reversed. I can't think of anything else...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Did the TX Skookum bind on the setup stand. There is no way to set it up or miss with the way they take you through the setup routine. I also checked to make sure the swash was reacting in the right ways while tilting the Gob after the change at the field. Remember, I was pretty paranoid already by this point. Also part of the Skookum setup routine. They make absolutely sure you have all the bases covered.

My real mistake was in correcting the swash tilt at the field at all in the TX when the problem surfaced. Admittedly,
I should have just packed it in and sent the tx and fbl system in immediately as is! And not dinked with it afterwards either.

As I wrote earlier, we all watched as I took the heli and tilted it around to make absolutely sure the swash was reacting correctly before I lifted it off after the change. The rest has me stumped.

But, a side note here, our club pres has had his own swash action reverse at the same field now twice with his Compass 7hv, and maybe even a third with his 6HVU using his Bx/Dx8 combo since then. There is a good chance something else is happening here other than just the Tx's at this particular field? I just found out about this as I wasn't there but got emailed he had wrecked all three of his helis with this very similar flight issue. Each time happened in flight and his helis reacted mid flights in the opposite direction. Coincidence? I think not.

I do know one thing for certain, and that is all. Once the swash action reversed on the stand this time, and I caught it there with my new tx. And changed it in the SK setup routine on both helis. It has never happened again. Also, this would have been another opportunity to send in yet another tx/fbl system to have Danny check right then and there when it did, but each time I send out stuff. With insurance it costs me close to $100 and a ton of down time. Hind site being 20/20, I still should have sent it in immediately.
I have a good fifty flights in now since then and no issues whatsoever. I just check my swash action every single time I boot up the heli at the field. As I should anyways.

Sucks this happened at all. Especially to myself. But glad I am sticking it out and love my Tx. I just have to toe the line and follow the script to a T setting things up properly. This may be a byproduct of me looking through every single function in the tx while reading the setup manual? I may have inadvertently touched on something I shouldn't have? After all, no one anywhere else has has this issue. So the blame squarely points at something unique I did. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

no their is an issue of mysterious interference at their field that makes signals reverse themselfes. Even had the problem with the ds-16 correct? LOL!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
no their is an issue of mysterious interference at their field that makes signals reverse themselfes. Even had the problem with the ds-16 correct? LOL!
I asked the other guy having issues when we met up last week at a meet. One problem with his heli turned out to be a faulty Rx pack issue. The other was related to an esc failure that was ongoing.

I have no real idea what was going on. But, all is going well and no more issues on my end whatsoever with my Jeti anymore. Thread closed...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in