Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
never could understand the plane hovering thing ?? put i would like to take a shot at the Multiplex FunJet thing....that looks insane
+1 on that. Although cool, I am not that impressed. What I really like is fast, banked turns, precisely controlled. I few aerobatics are nice, of course. I really hate the term "3D" whoever thought of that is clearly insecure. Flight is all 3D by nature, so why make it more than it is? We all fly the X/Y/Z thing, axis wise (Haha I didn't know how to spell axes so I rewrote it)

Whether I can fly it or not, I will definitely be getting the UM version of the F27 Stryker.
blackmagic08 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hovering is all about total control. It might not look like much but is WAY harder to keep still than a heli. Fast passes will only entertain a person for so long, much like helis, it's about the challenge of mastering it. I think 3D was just borrowed from helis as a quick way to distinguish basic aromatics from stuff that is impossible with 1:1 aircraft. Not sure what a better term would be...?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just love to fly! I don't care what it is! I'd fly a turd if you could get it to fly. Wait, I've already done that, I have an SR, LOL!
johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojappa View Post
Hovering is all about total control. It might not look like much but is WAY harder to keep still than a heli.
I'm finding this is very true as I began learning 3D about a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojappa View Post
I think 3D was just borrowed from helis as a quick way to distinguish basic aromatics from stuff that is impossible with 1:1 aircraft. Not sure what a better term would be...?
Here's a definition of 3D flying from someone on another forum which I believe could be fairly accurate & descriptive:
Quote:
3D maneuvers are maneuvers performed post-stall. The wings are providing no lift during 3D maneuvers and the prop blast and large control surfaces are the only reasons the plane still responds to input and doesn't fall out of the air.
And, one of my favorite 3D videos because it shows amazing control using a great airplane in a very tight but outside location -->
YAK54 EPP from RC-Factory (3 min 43 sec)

Anyone who thinks flying precise & complex maneuvers with 3D airplanes is easy has obviously never done it. I think it's great fun because you can start out with an EPP foam airplane that is very forgiving. Because I've been flying EPP 3D airplanes lately, I've increased my flying skills by a zillion percent in the last few weeks - without destroying a boatload of airplanes in the process. There is no "EPP equivalent" with heli's but the closest I've found is my mCP X flying over grass.

OPINION TIME --> 3D airplanes are very artistic, often graceful, beautiful to watch where 3D heli's don't appeal to me at all with the frenzy of activity that just doesn't excite me (maybe I'm just getting too old - ha). Each type of flying (3D planes & 3D heli's) requires enormous amounts of skill and many hours of practice. Besides, becoming really good with 3D airplanes can be accomplished very inexpensively. It seems impossible to achieve 3D heli proficiency without many crashes, rebuilds, and much greater down time, capital resources and frustration compared to the learning process, equipment and typical experiences involved with becoming an accomplished 3D airplane pilot.

Obviously, my opinions are just that, personal opinions which, especially in this case, are not open to argument or debate. If someone prefers a rare steak compared to well done, neither one is "wrong" in their preference.

There is a very rewarding feeling when successfully accomplishing complex maneuvers with radio controlled aircraft. Whether it's performed using a helicopter or airplane doesn't really matter - the experience is very similar. The beauty of EPP 3D airplanes is their lower cost, extreme durability factor, simplicity, and (probably) a faster learning curve because you can fly in more places, fly more often, and without more down time.
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #45 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I fly planks and helis. Yes I fly helis more, but I still enjoy planks. I am building one right not. It's a 25" foam 3D plank. They fly really nice and hardly weigh a thing. Ou don't really have to worry about it breaking because just as with micro helicopters, they don't have much mass to crash with.

And about cars. Got one from my friend... Had it for like 2 days. Got bored with it, so I put a 3s LiPo on it (practically doubled the voltage, ) and it was a lot faster. Still got bored with it pretty fast though.., I don't have it anymore...
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I fly planks and helis. Yes I fly helis more, but I still enjoy planks. I am building one right not. It's a 25" foam 3D plank. They fly really nice and hardly weigh a thing. Ou don't really have to worry about it breaking because just as with micro helicopters, they don't have much mass to crash with.

And about cars. Got one from my friend... Had it for like 2 days. Got bored with it, so I put a 3s LiPo on it (practically doubled the voltage, ) and it was a lot faster. Still got bored with it pretty fast though.., I don't have it anymore...
man you jumped into the "way back machine" to get this thread out of storage !

i've gotten into the electric ducted fan jets....115mph+ on a low pass is pretty freakin fun !
Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #47 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Jets are cool and all, but I still prefer 3D
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Went to planes and didnt even last a day

To me, helis are for a rush, and planks are for relaxation. Both are fun, just a different kind.
johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #49 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well said
However my T250 is pretty relaxing for slow FF around the front yard... such a quite little heli!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Second the comments above to try rolling circles if you get bored on planes. Ive been trying to learn them for two years and am only to the point where I can do it in one direction (ccw) banging elevator corrections. Its freaking hard to do right.

I'm new to heli's and absolutely loving it, dont get me wrong. But in a couple weeks I learned to hold a heli hover more stable than Ive managed with a plane in years of practice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in