Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Light bar for orientation aid

Crashed my Trex Sport last week while flying in cloudy conditions. I let it get a little too far away and just lost orientation during a turn. So, I decided to see what I could throw together to help prevent a repeat.

I started by mounting an LED strip to both sides of an old boom tube. I then drilled two holes in the tube and mounted it to the Gorilla landing gear with 2 screws.

The first pic is a left side view showing the white LED's at the front and the red LED's towards the rear. The second pic is a right side view showing the white LEDs at the front and green LEDs towards the rear. Although it may be a little hard to see, the last pic shows how the LED's are wired into the existing wire harness for the battery alarm. In addition, I installed a small micro switch which can be seen just above the wire tie.

Although the final verdict is still out, I flew one pack tonight at dusk and it appears to have helped considerably. Just thought I would throw this out for anyone (like me) who may be a little challenged in low light conditions. This was super easy to put together and only took about an hour to complete.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	190
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	439859   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	439860   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	439861  
automandan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great job I like it.

Compass Field Rep/KBDD Team pilot/Experiencrc.com
sewerfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned User

Awesome. Now all you need are a few feet of led strings and all the bits needed for DIY night blades.

I'm only half kidding. Lemme know if you want to tackle those night blades, I have a few links.

I do have a serious suggestion. One more light or short led string for the rear stabilizer, facing backwards. Just a thought.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kavic - I actually built a set of DIY night blades about a year ago for my T500 and would like to do another set or two. However, the guy I bought the kit from is no longer in business so, I'm looking for a parts supplier(s) that has the necessary goodies. I guessing that in 1 years time (I've been off the grid for a while), there's been some improvements in the build process or materials. So, any links/info you have regarding either would be appreciated. I've seen one add for a DIY materials kit priced at $60. Seems a little steep to me if the individual parts can be easily sourced.

In one of the recent threads in this forum, i noticed someone was using these on an MCP x. Are these holders being used on larger blades as well?

Your suggestion regarding a rear light is a good one and something I had contemplated adding later.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned User

That would work. Keep in mind that lipos get fairly small. I have a US based source for 20mah and I think 10mah if I remember right.

Wow $60 bucks for one set of blades? That will easily cover half a dozen sets of DIY blades.

Is this for an MCPx or similar micro heli or the T500 you mentioned? For 500 size blades I think 130 to 200 or maybe even 240mah would be ideal.

I just got some copper tape with a silver coating on both sides from ebay seller RobinAnn. And I think its easier to get the right size and thickness of shrink wrap from ebay. Same with the strip socket connectors I use for both a charging port and for the charge leads.

As for leds, resistors and micro switches, its fairly easy to get them all from digikey. Their prices are pretty good too.

I'll fill in a bunch of links tomorrow. My eyelids feel like they have lead weights on them.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kavic - Thanks a bunch for the info! Looks like these sites should have about everything I'll need for making more DIY night blades.

One more question - I've seen little or no info on DIY night tail blades for 450 - 500 size helis. Has anyone been able to successfully accomplish this! Thx!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned User

Oh, one more thing. Rather than using the normal double sided foam tape to attach lipos, I've been using this stuff. Its much thinner.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kavic - Looks like good stuff but I can't blow up the pic to see what it is. Would you have the link or what it is and where you got it? Thx!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned User

Oops. Its elmers double sided permanent tape.

http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E5024
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got it. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a quick update on my light bar. I've been using it the last few evenings but tonight it was both cloudy and getting dark. Even with it's relatively small size, it helped me immensely with orientation in these low light conditions. There was a couple of times I wasn't absolutely sure about my orientation but, my simple brain immediately went to the light bar and then there was no doubt. I previously flew with pool noodles on the skids to help with orientation but those were only good for normal light conditions.

If anyone is looking for an orientation aid that takes a minimum of work, I'd have to recommend it. And as Kavic pointed out, it might be a good start towards a complete night rig.

-Dan
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

this is a very cool idea my man!
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I almost ordered the same round pin headers from digkey but ended up ordering from ebay due to the cost per header...

Round pin headers M and F 0.1"/2.45mm pitch from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Black-Sing.../400556194908?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in