Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Mobius cam best settings ...?

Finally picked up a mobius ,.. some questions
What are the best settings you have found for aerial use ? things like dynamic range & white balance ?
If you want the best aerial still shots , is it better to try to extract them from video ,.or set it up for time lapse photo ?
What output container is best to use ? Avi Mp4 or .mov?
What type of mount works best ,..ridged mounted to frame , or some sort of gel mount ?
What free vid programs would you reccomend for viewing & editing ,..I have vlc but it struggles on my laptop, windows media player plays fine though & I use windows movie maker ,....
dogtoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some answers from my experience, doesn't make them best though..

For still shots, time lapse and keeping what you want will always be best. Frame grabs are not as clean IMO.

I'm going from memory so bear with me but I do use Auto white balance, 720P 60FPS Wide.

I don't use the mount, I put velcro directly on the bottom then velcro it to my quads and run a velcro strap over it to keep it tight. On my 250 racer, I also put some foam under the front to angle it up so its not staring at the ground in FFF.

I've not had any jello problems on either of my 250 racers, or my FlameWheel F450 mounting it like that.

Pretty sure I have wide dynamic range set to on. (forgive me if that's not the setting name, I can look tonight).

I personally use the MP4 file format, but that's probably more about your file type preferences (or preference of any software you use).

Can't help on the editing as I do all of mine on a Mac with iMovie or FCE.

For playback I'm a big fan of VLC on both my Mac and Windows based machines.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Windows Movie Maker is pretty good for your basic editing etc. Some people use it for pretty indepth work and there is a lot to be said for that. I used it for a while until I needed something with more features and options. Then I purchased MovAvi and thoroughly enjoy it.

I edit about 2 hours of movie per week and it works great thus far. I'm confident once I get more and more into it I'll move up to Sony Vegas or something like that but for now MovAvi is great and it didn't break the bank.

I don't have a Mobius yet but I'm seriously thinking about getting one in the very near future (looking at them online right now).
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

For what it is, and given the price, its a pretty fantastic little camera. I'd never call it a replacement for the GoPro, but due to price and size I'll also put it at more risk than I'm willing with the GoPro....

To the OP, here are some more settings to try:

Sharpness: -12
Exposure: 1
Contrast -4
Saturation 22

For another option if you're flying FPV, you may also want to consider the Fatshark PilotHD V2 (V2 is key). Its a little heavy but you can shave a lot of weight by removing it from the metal case. The bonus there is that its essentially an FPV camera with built in DVR.

A/B comparison in the video below. Video with unobstructed view is from my mobius, the other with props and antenna in view are from my buddie's PilotHD.

FPV Racing - Rubbin' is Racin' - 12/27/2014 (3 min 57 sec)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great information. I'm going to BOOKMARK this thread for future reference.

I think I'm going to order one right now to "supplement" my CG01 camera. I need a camera with "Delayed Still" features to shoot stills as I'm flying.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool idea.

You know, I haven't actually used the "time lapse" or still image features on it. I need to give that a try at some point and see how they look.. I've always used the GoPro for that in the past.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted2112 View Post
Cool idea.

You know, I haven't actually used the "time lapse" or still image features on it. I need to give that a try at some point and see how they look.. I've always used the GoPro for that in the past.
If the Mobius doesn't produce the quality of stills I need that's exactly what I'll be doing too. I can shoot stills from my CG01 but it has to be connected (WiFi) to my phone to be able to trigger the shutter. I need something I can hit the button and fly around knowing it's taking random images every *X* seconds.

I should know within a week
Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it didn't get dark so darned early this time of year I'd offer to give it a whirl tonight and post some samples, but... Ugh, spring is coming eventually, right?

I expect it will do pretty well with good lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
If the Mobius doesn't produce the quality of stills I need that's exactly what I'll be doing too. I can shoot stills from my CG01 but it has to be connected (WiFi) to my phone to be able to trigger the shutter. I need something I can hit the button and fly around knowing it's taking random images every *X* seconds.

I should know within a week
Old 01-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted2112 View Post
If it didn't get dark so darned early this time of year I'd offer to give it a whirl tonight and post some samples, but... Ugh, spring is coming eventually, right?

I expect it will do pretty well with good lighting.
AMEN to the spring comment. It's killing me. By the time I get home, change clothes and get ready to fly it's already dusk. I've got tons of stuff to shoot and just can't get the right weather/light all to come together at once LOL! Plus my old fingers get really cold when it's single digits and windy LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in