Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #461 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going to do a scale build with it. I have been setting it up and hovering indoors above carpet. Today I took it outside and hovered above grass and it held nicely. Still a bit of moving around but I was able to hold the tx for a while with no input. I was very pleased with the result. Works much better outside with better light.

Next question, Do you need to do any mods to the flymentor if you were to use a 4 blade rotor head ? I have seen the videos on youtube and it looks do-able. With a 4 blade rotor head and no flybar, does the flymentor just work as a flybarless stabilisation system ?
Wade1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #462 (permalink)
Registered Users

FM does not work as a fbl stabilization unit. I have tried it with a 4 blade head and it did work ( sort of ) I was not happy with the results, hard work to fly and not realy suitable for scale flying.so I removed it and use HC riged..
Some have fitted FM and a fbl unit together and claimed success. I see no reason why it should not work but have not tried it myself.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #463 (permalink)
Registered Users

hope this guy is using blade 450 3d i just bought a FM for my blade 450 3d and i really need help to set this up. from wiring to DX6i set up please. and the driver is not compatible to my windows 7.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #464 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are videos on Youtube on how to get helibal to work with windows 7. I had no luck as I am also using windows 7. Just get the FM programmer. Way easier.
Wade1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #465 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade1 View Post
There are videos on Youtube on how to get helibal to work with windows 7. I had no luck as I am also using windows 7. Just get the FM programmer. Way easier.
yeah i have the programmer, i did all the wiring but when i plug the battery my FM has no power no light. i think my wiring are all wrong.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #466 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default WINDOWS 7 DRIVER

Hi all, I've uploaded the Windows 7 driver for you'all: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lm27bi...-Driver-OK.zip

Remember; you can't use the software to read from the FM, only to it. So save your config file and after adjusting a setting - send the config to FM and then save the config file for next time you need to edit. Simples!!

Mine is up and running on a Trex 450. Am using Futaba tail control and FM stabilising. (Use blue wire to control FM gain on channel 7, set to 35% and 0%, so 2 way switch is switching FM off totally or at 35% setting position hold).

I have turned 'manual over-ride' to 8 now and it is much smoother, and I have much more control and the FM has stopped fighting me so much.

Enjoy!
lloydcaruana is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #467 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align Trex 450 Plus (RTF) with Futaba T6 TX

Ivor , I have read your information and interested in using the KSD Flymentor system. I do have one Align Trex 450 Plus (RTF) with Futaba T6 TX. I would like to ask you is; Can I install the KSD Flymentor with these heli and was wondering about the set-up using it.
cts021sim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #468 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 'Flymentor - I bought 3 of them!

Ok....thanks a lot Ivan. I've read the manual over and over and couldnt figure out hardly anything. I did use an old XP computer and finally dowloaded the file and can hook up to heli ball.

Question...now I need to check my Blade SR is ready to fly normally then hook up to the Heli Bal and start the testing. This is after hooking all the wires to the control. Im gonna use the old gyro for the electric motor tail.

Would I be better to use a DX6i or a DX7s?

this is a long story you put together and I'm gonna print it out and go step by steip and have the manual at my side. 'the big question I had was the elevator servo is up front an you answered that.

I have a Copter 'X 450 I built, a "Blade 400 and a Align 450.....which one of those would you recommend for the Flymentor.

Thanks a bunch..

Can't wait to have steps in installation..

Bill
Bill Brannen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #469 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question flymentor lights

Well time for another try, can someone please tell me what the lights on the flymentor mean; when the green light flashes? when the green light stays on (green) how about the red light flashes ? or when it stays on or if both are on I have no clue I know the heli will not hover at all by itself and it moves around a lot just before take-off.

Thanks again for the help.
armon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #470 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by armon View Post
Well time for another try, can someone please tell me what the lights on the flymentor mean; when the green light flashes? when the green light stays on (green) how about the red light flashes ? or when it stays on or if both are on I have no clue I know the heli will not hover at all by itself and it moves around a lot just before take-off.

Thanks again for the help.
Red light on = FM off,
Green flashing = stabilization mode,
Green solid = positioning mode (only works one or two meters off the ground) it's being a while since my last FM rig.
A three position switch or pot mapped to an extra channel is the best way to control it.

If it's moving too much maybe your FM sensitivity is too high.

BTW, the best way to test for a proper set-up is to lift off using ONLY your collective while in positioning mode. It's a lot of fun.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #471 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wink 3 position switch

Thanks for the help, sorry but I dont know about a 3 position switch
Can you please explain how to set up a 3 position switch?
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #472 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red light is FM off.
Green and red is FM in balancing mode, in this mode FM will keep the heli level but the camera system will not be working.
Flashing green or solid green is position mode (camera operational ) If the light is flashing there is not enough contrast ( light ) or the heli is to close to the ground. If there is enough light the LED will change to solid green when the heli is a few inches of the ground that means position is engaged. It will not work indoors.
If the green light is flashing or the heli is to high for the camera to operate then FM automaticaly switches to balance mode but the LED will still be green.
You need not worry about a 3 way switch, for set up and test flights the blue wire should be disconnected and the modes set useing Helibal.
This is explained in the sticky above the section. All the settings on the advance page and gyro page should be set to factory settings exept the ones you are told the change in the sticky. Changing other setting will give you problems. Please read the sticky and follow it exactly.
When you are sure that all is set OK set balancer gain useing helibal to +70, then tie the heli down so that it can move a little but cannot fly or tip. Apply throttle untill the heli is trying to fly, if the blades and flybar tip then there is to much vibration and flying would crash the heli, if they remain level then you are ready to test fly and trim.
You should visit the Finless Bob Tech room on this site to learn how to set up helis like yours, Trex 450 SE would do.
Fm will not help you to fly unless the heli is set up correctly.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #473 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face Flymentor

Thank-you very much for the information, this is going to help me a lot.
One more question please; sticky whats that?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #474 (permalink)
Registered Users

A sticky is a thread that stay's at the top of a section.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #475 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

Hi Guys,

I set my throttle curve, but, someone could set up a pitch curve in Turnigy 9x (firmware ER9X) with Flymentor?

My radio is configured this way: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=490701

Someone help me?

cbbeudo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #476 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your asking how to set up a pitch curve in you TX sorry cant help but if your asking what the pitch curve should be then for setting up FM your pitch curve should be set to 0-25-50-75-100. After set up you can change it to whatever you want.
A safe pitch curve for normal flying ( not inverted flight ) would be something like
45-62-75-87-100 this would give you about -1 to +10 degrees so provided the heli and throttle curve is set up correctly the heli will hover at about mid stick.
If you want a pitch curve for inverted flight then the 0-25-50-75-100 would be better but bear in mind that in you lower the stick to zero in a moment of panic you may slam the heli into the ground because you will be giving it maximum negative pitch.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #477 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ivor Hill,

I put the default pitch curve (0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100) and now I have:

Throtle Stick on 0% = -11 degress
Throtle Stick on 50% = 0 degress
Throtle Stick on 100% = +11 degress

This week, I will fly this configuration to test...

Thanks!
cbbeudo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #478 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbeudo View Post
Thanks Ivor Hill,

I put the default pitch curve (0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100) and now I have:

Throtle Stick on 0% = -11 degress
Throtle Stick on 50% = 0 degress
Throtle Stick on 100% = +11 degress

This week, I will fly this configuration to test...

Thanks!
The choice is yours but if you are a beginer I would advise you use 45-62-75-87-100 to start with, less likely to crash in a moment of panic.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #479 (permalink)

Default how much swash movement?

Hi Forum,
I have installed FM and it appears to work in the correct directions. One question, how much should the swash tilt to correct when tilting the heli? I understand elevator should be less than aileron but aileron is a small movement and elevator is almost undetectable. Is this normal? I ask because test flight one is scheduled for tomorrow!
Many thanks,
Haggy...
Haggy7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #480 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggy7 View Post
Hi Forum,
I have installed FM and it appears to work in the correct directions. One question, how much should the swash tilt to correct when tilting the heli? I understand elevator should be less than aileron but aileron is a small movement and elevator is almost undetectable. Is this normal? I ask because test flight one is scheduled for tomorrow!
Many thanks
Haggy...
No it's not, have a look at the vids on youtube that will give you some idea.
This problem has come up before but nobody has come back with the fix.
Are the travels set at 100 on the Helibal control page ?. Is the balancer gain set at + 70 on the advance page ?. Reducing either of these setting will reduce movement when you tip the heli.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in