Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AMA Insurance

Has anyone ever had to use the AMA insurance they offer with regard to a heli accident? I am wondering if the policy is solid or if it is typical "Weasel not to pay" type stuff.

The only reason I would join is for the insurance. AMA where I live does not have a large presence.

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Turtle_Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

you get this cool card for your wallet, chicks dig it!
MS60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Years 30 ago I stuck my hand in a prop and they payed for my ER visit. No weasel as I remember it. I didn't have insurance.
aterren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Usually, insurances like these are payors of last resort, meaning they pay after whatever insurance you have pays. In other words, they pay the co-insurance amounts your insurance doesn't pay and maybe deductibles that haven't been used (don't bet on deductibles). I'm not sure if they would cover a claim for someone with no insurance. The issue that might get sticky is if they deem the accident to be caused by negligence. If they don't cover claims deemed to be caused by negligence, it might be really difficult to get payment as no negligence on the part of the pilot might be difficult to prove.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for reminding me to renew! Today more important than ever with all the drone controversy and talk over regulation etc.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never had to use it but it gets me access to a very nice private club. Worth every penny!
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Roger That! How would we fly?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have not filled a claim with them yet. Had a heli and an arm get a little to close together. I have no insurance as I work for my self. They say you have file in a years time. I will get it done in the next few weeks. Will let you know about the experience. Hate to even use it, but it that is part of our membership, and who would not wont help with thousands of dollars in Medical cost.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Flyer View Post
Has anyone ever had to use the AMA insurance they offer with regard to a heli accident? I am wondering if the policy is solid or if it is typical "Weasel not to pay" type stuff.

The only reason I would join is for the insurance. AMA where I live does not have a large presence.
There was a thread either here or over on RCG some time back asking pretty much the same thing, and the usual debate over whether being a member and paying the dues has any real value.

Someone who was directly involved with the AMA, sorry but I cant remember the name or if they were involved with the publication of the magazine or worked in the AMA offices themselves chimed in and said that it is quite the opposite, and it is rare that a claim is ever turned down. There was even someone in the thread that had collected when his model accidentally hit someone else car at the field costing him the deductible to get it repaired for him.

Yes it is secondary, after your personal property or auto insurance pays, and they will also pay even if not flying at a sanctioned club field. Sorry, no personal experience from me thank goodness, but just passing on what I remember reading in detail straight from the horses mouth some time back.

Dont forget that your membership goes well beyond the insurance only. The AMA is heavily involved in Washington trying to lobby for our rights and prevent heavy handed nonsense rules that could take away or limit our ability to fly. Where would we end up with the FAA and all these new drone and flying rules being tossed around if we had no one there talking for our side? That is worth more to me than the insurance which I consider just a bonus.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been a member for decades. Well worth it!

Thankfully I've never had to use the insurance coverage, but IIRC, the insurance only covers injuries that happen at an AMA sanctioned field, correct?
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's been discussed before that the insurance covers you everywhere.. not only at AMA fields.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As long as you are flying within the Safety Code rules and/or not flying where you do not have permission, you are covered.

I can't answer specific questions about insurance, as I am not a part of that department (and no, it wasn't me that Xrayted spoke about), but there are quite a few documents available about insurance on the AMA website at http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx#SMB. You can also get in touch with Ilona Maine, who is the AMA Safety & Member Benefits director. She is always willing to answer member questions or concerns.
Co-owner, JAG RC, LLC
fmrsdtr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

AMA is worth every penny. Get it. you'll be happy. Also, the benifits are great. And you get a yearly subscription to a magazine. All worth it. The insurance coverage is great.
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like any insurance company, they will pay as long as the claim falls with in the policy limits and you complete the required paperwork,

For thief of your RC gear they cover max of $1,000.00 with $100 deductible. To pay there must be signs of forced entery, broken lock or windows.

If your RC craft damages someone else property, crashed in to a car, home or person. The insurance cover up to 2.5 million, and you have a $250 deductible.

Note this insurance is what's called a 2nd insurance policy. That means it only comes in to effect AFTER ALL other insurance pays out. So if you have homeowers insurance that pays out first and if that does not cover everything then the AMA insurance kicks in.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since I started flying I've never considered not being an AMA member. In fact, I've been seriously considering becoming a lifetime member. The insurance benefits alone are well worth the cost of membership, not to mention your dues also go to support model aviation.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's the AMA PDF which explains the AMA insurance coverage. The coverage applies as long as you fly in accordance with the AMA safety code. If you fly multirotors, there is a separate AMA document available on the AMA website which covers safety rules for flying those types of air vehicles.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/I...aryMembers.pdf

Mike
MKMAERO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information. My question was specifically if someone has crashed a heli into property or a person.

With all the talk about the AMA policy being a secondary coverage it leads me to wonder if my homeowners has any RC clause. In other words, If I am at a school (Legally flying) and I lose radio contact, and the heli slams into something or someone.

1. Not sure if my homeowners would cover it?
  2. Wondering if anyone ever had to use the AMA insurance?
I understand that if I do something dumb the negligence clause would kick in.

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Turtle_Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am directly familiar with several cases including property damage (brand new auto at a nearby dealership hit by a large fly-away) and personal injury (week in the hospital from being hit by large plane) and, according to my understanding, the AMA insurance coverage was prompt and complete in both cases.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Of all the posts that I've read here and on RR, when this subject comes up every once in a while, I do not remember any posts saying the insurance did not come through. As a matter of fact, as other posters above have said, I've always read that it DOES come through, if the incident falls within the guidelines.
R/C junkie for the past 25 years and counting...
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had an accident at home last September during the build of a 450l. After seeing this topic I decided to look into putting in a claim. After my personal insurance I have $550 left in medical bills left to pay. I emailed back and forth with AMA to get information. They were very nice and fast to respond. The problem that I ran into is there is a $750 deductible which makes it useless in my case. I also noticed a maximum of $25k as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in