Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Oh by the way... 4.0 is ...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!

That's right. Amazing.

I've had time to fully test and tune it now on my ENV. I've put a gallon of nitro thru it, about 4 mins a flight.(I still like to keep flights shorter, only about 1/2 tank at a time.)

I've always loved my sk540. I've had it since 2012, since FW 3.10. It's been really good since then. However, I've always had a few issues I could never get rid of.
I could never completely lock in the cyclic. It always had a slight bob on hard collective stops, and "slight" porpoise on FFF. No matter what I did, they were still present. Not bad, but... "there." Like a headache that doesn't hurt, isn't even annoying. Just there.

And the tail was always good, but never locked in like I wanted it. Better than a Vbar tail, (beastx can't even sniff) but I had to play with left and right stop accel's differently, to get it where I wanted it. And it still had wobbles here and there.

So with 4.0, the tuning is SO easy. The cyclic bobbles are gone. The tail problems, gone. And the nitro governor... holy crap.

It literally FLIES LIKE A SIM HELI.

No kidding, it's exactly like the ENV on Realflight. Boot up yours or a neighbor's Realflight, and fly the Nitro ENV. That's how my live ENV flies now, to a T.
It's scary how solid my heli is with SK 4.0. Tic Tocs hit hard, and hold hard. No movement, no drifting, no wobbles, just hit and hold. Piro's are RIDICULOUS. I can piro right on the deck, and I know the machine will do EXACTLY what I want it to. Hurricanes, funnels, even piro'ing funnels, just rock and roll, so solid.

I will go as far as to say the tail is now QUARK LEVEL SOLID. And for those of you who flew Quarks back in the day, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

All I had to do was a few points of gain, drop the bell gain a few, and a few less points of collective mix. SHAZAM! Freakin' perfect.

Can't say enough praise for the update. Art and the gang pulled a Mark McGuire and destroyed it out of the park.
My flying group is going to be droooooooooling over the way my ENV flies now.

For the people still on the fence, I can understand your point. There's nothing worse than trying to make something better and making more problems. However... just do it. 4.0 will blow your mind.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

=] you are actually worse than me!! I love V4!!!!!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Posted my findings already. All I can say is OMG.

Art, you guys totally hit the mother load with this upgrade. I am simply blown away right now.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah i have to agree aswell.After talking to georgi about a few problems i had i spent another 6 hrs fine tuning the 540 and 720 on the 600&800.I wish i had just redone the whole set up after i installed instead of mucking around and so on.It probably would have saved me a few hrs.

There is only 2 problems i can see after installing 4.01.The tail needs fixing,the program saying reverse the servo in setr up and the issue on 540 with the factory default reset which needs to be done after the install otherwise the skookum wont initialise.

Great work on all the efforts of skookum and the guys on this forum that help us out.Thankyou
pazza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
omerco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerco View Post
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That about sums everybodys' feelings up well.

And this might be one of the best lines I've ever seen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
I have no words that make sense in my own language to even try and describe the total transformation of how insanely well my Gob 800 flew today with 4.01. So I will try this..... HOLEEEFreakingMutherOFgod

Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think Randy is happy to actually have a heli in the air again

Still this firmware release was the most impressive upgrade I've seen in the last 3 years I've been using Skookum products.

This is the most substantial improvement to how any of my helis fly than any other upgrade or change I've ever made.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have always had trouble achieving above 300 degrees per second roll and flip rate on any 700. I have always set 12 or more degrees of cyclic pitch but yet my heli still will max out around 270 or so degrees per second.

Has this issue ever been raised on pre 4.0 releases? Can you get some fast rates on 700s with 4.0?

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, mine will flip to the bejeezus and back. I have my cyclic set at 320/sec, and although I don't really have a good way of measuring it... it's fast.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Right u are!!!

I think the previous remark was dead on when saying "feels like a sim heli". That was the first thought. Feels so locked in with zero drift and zero glitches. I couldn't believe the locked in feel. We'll done! Hands down the bat flybarless out for quality, features, price, and ease of setup!
Inkslinginmofo77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHolland View Post
I have always had trouble achieving above 300 degrees per second roll and flip rate on any 700. I have always set 12 or more degrees of cyclic pitch but yet my heli still will max out around 270 or so degrees per second.

Has this issue ever been raised on pre 4.0 releases? Can you get some fast rates on 700s with 4.0?
Which heli and what headspeed?
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My raptor e700 was set to 320 degrees per second at 1750 RPM and with 10 degrees cyclic, but I don't think it was able to achieve that with the blue. My BE has no problem doing 320 on both 3.43 and 4.0. I had to turn it down to 280. My blue 720 with 4.0 still can't seem to do 320. 280 sends to work fine though.

The biggest performance gain I saw with 4.0 was with the governer. The tail also performs better. The biggest performance gain I saw was moving from the blue 720 to the BE. I'm still amazed how much better it flies.

I agree, the 720BE with 4.0 does feel like a Sim.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerco View Post
Which heli and what headspeed?
Align 700 HV and Rush 700 swinging 695s. I run 2150 on both and set 10 cyclic on the Align and 12 cyclic on the Rush. The problem for me is I turn up the degrees per second but it all feels the same as 270 to me. Even if I am up above 300 there was no change in real world rates.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which Skookum do you have?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All SK540 red.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHolland View Post
Align 700 HV and Rush 700 swinging 695s. I run 2150 on both and set 10 cyclic on the Align and 12 cyclic on the Rush. The problem for me is I turn up the degrees per second but it all feels the same as 270 to me. Even if I am up above 300 there was no change in real world rates.
If you decrees the cyclic pitch to 10 - will you see the max rate go down?

if so than you are on the mechanical/aerodynamic limits of the ship and you might need more headspeed to increase the rates. or maybe longer blades.

I don't think a BE will do any diff from a sk540 red as hinted here...but i might be surprised?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It shouldn't have any change. There's gotta be something simple missing. Both of those helis, ESPECIALLY at 2150, should easily be able to do 320/sec. Despite the crazy head speeds going now for 700's... 2150 is still a lot.
When you are plugged into a PC, does it actually give 12 degrees cyclic? Like omerco said, I would test the throws first. You can change the control rates all you want, but if the mixes an end points won't allow the throw, you're not going to get it.
Post up a pic of your swashplate tab, so we can see where your servo endpoints and awash mixes are set at. That's step number one.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will when I get home. Right now I am over seas on business and havent even updated to 4.0 yet. When I get home, which might be another month or so, I will get cracking on it.

FrSky Taranis
Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned User

As previously stated all 9 of my 540s fly like sim helis.
frankie sed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in