Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just wanted to report back since I have been flying the Koby 55 with the CC BEC installed 50 plus flights no issues at all to report other than smooth sailing. CC BEC has been working great plus it's easy on the wallet too. Guess if you have the YEP ESC try running a small external BEC its just good insurance.
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am becoming very tempted to try a different setup on my Warp. I''ve not flown yet, as I am not seeing encouraging test results with my Koby 40 and a motor I picked up to try. No bench issues with the BEC, but it's not playing nice with my motor. Am thinking I will wait for the new Compass can before I maiden it, as well as the roller brace.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
I just wanted to report back since I have been flying the Koby 55 with the CC BEC installed 50 plus flights no issues at all to report other than smooth sailing. CC BEC has been working great plus it's easy on the wallet too. Guess if you have the YEP ESC try running a small external BEC its just good insurance.
the 10a or 20a?
HeliDoc25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

i cant get the yep to brown out on the bench or in flight ,i did aileron tictoks the whole flight and nothing happen ,for the sake of loosing all my electronics ill take a drive down the road to western robotics and pick up a mini bec ,although i do have a cc 10a here i can use .I had 2 of them crap out on me last year and i trust the yep bec more
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDoc25 View Post
the 10a or 20a?
Its the Castle Creations 10 Amp Adjustable BEC small one that sells for $21 bucks and it works like a charm..
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #166 (permalink)

The 10a cc bec on 6s is only 5amp continuos, the same as my yep45 that has done several brown outs now on me, I don't think 5a is enough.
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemech View Post
The 10a cc bec on 6s is only 5amp continuos, the same as my yep45 that has done several brown outs now on me, I don't think 5a is enough.
Steve
Well if the yep is anything like the ice series it may have a hard limit where it goes into a soft shutdown when it exceeds 5.2 amps and does not come back on until voltage stabilizes.
Or maybe the 5 amp rating is peak not continuous on the yep.
I use a gryphon polaris seperate bec that is rated for 7 series lipos and on 6 series it also is 5 amp continuous and 10 amp peak and it cured my brownout problems on my mini protos running the power hungry mks servos. Just because the yep says 5 amp continuous it may not handle high peaks and on 6 series lipo it is probably worse.

Here is some info on the why the ice series internal bec has difficulty and the yep may be similar. This is from cc owner himself.

Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo
I think this is just a misunderstanding -- the BEC can output 5A continuously. However, the current limit for the BEC is set at just over 5A, about 5.2A.

Because the current limit is set at 5.2A, and is a hard limit, it's a good rule of thumb not to use it to supply more than about 3A AVERAGE continuous -- otherwise you risk hitting the current limit a lot during peak current draw.

When the current limit is exceeded, the BEC enters a soft-shutdown. So the output voltage drops until the current goes back under the 5.2A limit. If the current limit is exceede by a lot, then the voltage can drop low enough to reset the processor on the ICE, and possibly reset the receiver as well -- not really a good condition. If the speed controller processor resets, it may drop power for a tenth of a second or so in governor mode (not really a good thing...) and if it is programmed for normal throttle (airplane modes) the controller will shutdown, requiring a throttle-down, throttle-up sequence. If the receiver shuts down, it may take a half second or longer to reconnect to the transmitter (for spread spectrum --) which is also a bad thing...

So the 3A limit is more a guideline than a hard limit.
Patrick, thank you for the detailed explanation. As a suggestion, maybe the 3A AVERAGE continuous ''guideline'' should be mentioned in the User Guide. Even if the BEC circuit can provide 5A continuous, it is not very useful if it causes the ESC to reset.
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachur779 View Post
i cant get the yep to brown out on the bench or in flight ,i did aileron tictoks the whole flight and nothing happen ,for the sake of loosing all my electronics ill take a drive down the road to western robotics and pick up a mini bec ,although i do have a cc 10a here i can use .I had 2 of them crap out on me last year and i trust the yep bec more
This is so part of the problem. Most onboard bec's do not respond exactly the same from esc to esc. So lots of guys will post up it is working for them. I used to swear by my onboard Ice50 bec for almost 2 years. But the minute I started doing identical builds with another ice esc I ran into issues, even using the exact same servos. And a few other guys commented they had similar experiences. Not only with this, but with phasing ability. One esc would signal phase at insane levels, and its identical twin couldn't handle half of this. Dan at GoBrushless even began building his motors and testing them with the worst esc he could find. This way he found out that when he sent them out, guys could use them with just about anything. Previously he precision built motors with his favorite Castle esc and got huge power from his motors. But the guys receiving them couldn't get them to run.

No two esc's may perform the same. Nor their bec's. So the best and safest way to control this is to buy a separate committed bec with more capacity than you will use.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes thats true ,me and sean both have the same esc and settings same throttle curve,and his soft start kicks the heli around while mine is perfect,but his seems to have more power than mine
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Koby 40 has been tested on the bench with the Compass motor and an MSH 1300 kV motor. The first Koby fried on a bench test with the MSH 1300. The replacement will not run it past 50%. It will run the Compass motor to 100% without any symptoms. No issues on the bench with the Koby BEC and the MKS servos. I can't say I am confident in the Koby at this point. It just doesn't leave the robust impression of the Jives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in