Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Tuning my new OS 91 HZ-PS (Floating vs Hovering)

I have 4 electric birds and I know what I am doing there. A few months ago I got a raptor 60 that had all of the 90 conversion done but he kept his CSPEC and gave me the old OS 61.I feel like I am in a new world. I just upgraded to the new OS 91 HZ-PS (3.5 hp of fun) last week with an Outrage pipe.

I am now try to tune the motor and when setting the idle mixture the book says "open the throttle sufficiently to 'float' the model above the ground" the when setting the high-speed needle it says to hover the model. What's the difference in floating and hovering?

The web site specs says it runs on 15%, the book says it can run on 10% - 30% I am running Cool Power 30%. Should I add any shims? It didn't come with any

Also and good videos or pics of what would be the correct amount of smoke for the motor to produce? I am using http://www.jupiter-venlo.nl/Algemeen...0EN%20v3.1.pdfand the book that came with the motor as a guide for tuning. Any better resources out there?
Rodney Wimberly - AMA #908559
Blade 130X, TREX 450 Pro, TREX 500, Swift 550, TREX/KDE 550E, TREX 700N, Goblin 700
RodneyWimberly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Rodney: Welcome to the nitro world . The difference between floating and hovering are as follows. "Foating": is when the skids are just barely off the ground and you stay in one place. "Hovering": is when the heli is about 3 feet or higher above the ground and your moving left/right, forward/backward. I know there isn't much difference, but there is more demand put on the engine with hovering. As far as your engine goes, I don't have the new HZ version, but I can't imagine that it's much diffwerent than the old version. I came accross this thread that may help you out. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=123295. If you have further engine questions, the "Engines and Muffler" section of the forum is a great place to look for answers. Good luck to ya, and I hope you get everything figured out.

"Depression is nothing more than anger, without enthusiasm"
Badger50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyWimberly View Post
I have 4 electric birds and I know what I am doing there. A few months ago I got a raptor 60 that had all of the 90 conversion done but he kept his CSPEC and gave me the old OS 61.I feel like I am in a new world. I just upgraded to the new OS 91 HZ-PS (3.5 hp of fun) last week with an Outrage pipe.

I am now try to tune the motor and when setting the idle mixture the book says "open the throttle sufficiently to 'float' the model above the ground" the when setting the high-speed needle it says to hover the model. What's the difference in floating and hovering?

The web site specs says it runs on 15%, the book says it can run on 10% - 30% I am running Cool Power 30%. Should I add any shims? It didn't come with any

Also and good videos or pics of what would be the correct amount of smoke for the motor to produce? I am using http://www.jupiter-venlo.nl/Algemeen...0EN%20v3.1.pdfand the book that came with the motor as a guide for tuning. Any better resources out there?
I have a Trex 700 with a new Max-91HZ-PS the only way I can get close to getting this thing in tune is to have both mid and high speed needles both closed, even with this still have heaps of smoke and excess fule from exhaust?
Have changed plugs from os 8 to 3 have removed pressure line from the muffler to tank and still the same? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated apart from throwing this thing in the closest river
apayne is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by apayne View Post
I have a Trex 700 with a new Max-91HZ-PS the only way I can get close to getting this thing in tune is to have both mid and high speed needles both closed, even with this still have heaps of smoke and excess fule from exhaust?
Have changed plugs from os 8 to 3 have removed pressure line from the muffler to tank and still the same? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated apart from throwing this thing in the closest river
try the site smacktalkrc.com this is a great site by Bert K and Bobby Watts that has videos that you can purchase through paypal for 2.99 to 3.49 . There is a specific video on engine tuning set ups etc. These videos have taken me to the next level on flying to building and overall understanding . Im not sure which video but Bert K goes over the 0S 91 HZR engine tuning . I have three of these motors as well as the HZ version and it helped me understand . The factory manual on the HZ is pretty straight forward on tuning . I highly recommend 30% coolpower or Rotorrage fuel as they run like shit on 15%. Watch your temps and use a infrared temp gun as a guide. Good luck
RAPTOR 90 3D OS91HZ 1ST HELICOPTER
TTRAPTOR903D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in