Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best flight stabilizer for a beginner???

I'm new to the hobby and looking into these stabilizers for a yet to be purchased Trex 500. I have a simulator (RF 4.5) and will be working on that long before 1st flight. With price, ease of installation, and reliability all being important considerations...what are your recommendations? Yes, I have read many of these threads...hoping for an updated and consolidated view of where to start. Thanks!
232323 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232323 View Post
I'm new to the hobby and looking into these stabilizers for a yet to be purchased Trex 500. I have a simulator (RF 4.5) and will be working on that long before 1st flight. With price, ease of installation, and reliability all being important considerations...what are your recommendations? Yes, I have read many of these threads...hoping for an updated and consolidated view of where to start. Thanks!
In a nut shell...

FMA Direct CPII..@ $209.00...
Thermopile based system (IR)

Extremely easy install and setup, very reliable GREAT customer support and extensive forum help available.
Capable of inverted stabilization

Draw backs.... weather and surrounding can affect its flight performance,

Captrons Helicommand @ $ 500.00 - $650.00
Gyro based system.

Install and setup is a bit more involved, but setup video is available to assist you.
Adjustments to the HC unit are done through a PC and software.

HC is not affected by it surroundings, and has a position mode to assist with hovering side and nose in.

Depending on how your planning to fly there are different versions available. 3A , 3D, RIGID.

KDS Flymentor..$108.00 @ Hobby King.

Cloned version of the Captrons Helicommand

This unit, though being the least expensive has a shaky track record to date, some owners have had good luck with them while others have had major issues with setup and operation.

Customer support... none , though there are some on the forums that are trying to assist other owners in helping them setup the flymentor

These are the 3 big Stabilization units that arebeing used, there are others ..Gyrobot, 2000i, etc but all depending on what your looking for.

nightflyr

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
In a nut shell...

FMA Direct CPII..@ $209.00...
Thermopile based system (IR)

Extremely easy install and setup, very reliable GREAT customer support and extensive forum help available.
Capable of inverted stabilization

Draw backs.... weather and surrounding can affect its flight performance,

Captrons Helicommand @ $ 500.00 - $650.00
Gyro based system.

Install and setup is a bit more involved, but setup video is available to assist you.
Adjustments to the HC unit are done through a PC and software.

HC is not affected by it surroundings, and has a position mode to assist with hovering side and nose in.

Depending on how your planning to fly there are different versions available. 3A , 3D, RIGID.

KDS Flymentor..$108.00 @ Hobby King.

Cloned version of the Captrons Helicommand

This unit, though being the least expensive has a shaky track record to date, some owners have had good luck with them while others have had major issues with setup and operation.

Customer support... none , though there are some on the forums that are trying to assist other owners in helping them setup the flymentor

These are the 3 big Stabilization units that arebeing used, there are others ..Gyrobot, 2000i, etc but all depending on what your looking for.

nightflyr
Thanks, lots of good information. Kinda looks like CPII is the way to go. Would you recommend a stabilizer for a beginner?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks, lots of good information. Kinda looks like CPII is the way to go. Would you recommend a stabilizer for a beginner?
I'm flying CPII on both my big birds, and a Helicommand 3A on my scale AirWolf....

nightflyr

Old 12-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks good. Is there any reason you can't just leave the CPII on your heli all the time whether your a beginner or not? It seems like they might even save an experience pilot once in awhile from a crash.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Looks good. Is there any reason you can't just leave the CPII on your heli all the time whether your a beginner or not? It seems like they might even save an experience pilot once in awhile from a crash.
Of course you can leave it mounted, not going to effect the heli and you'll always have it on hand.

nightflyr

Old 12-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
Of course you can leave it mounted, not going to effect the heli and you'll always have it on hand.

nightflyr
If a person does leave the CPII on the heli, as I understand it , there are settings on the CPII that allow you to have less and less dependence on the system...is this correct? So an experience flyer could use the system only in an emergency, without interfering with regular flight???
Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
If a person does leave the CPII on the heli, as I understand it , there are settings on the CPII that allow you to have less and less dependence on the system...is this correct? So an experience flyer could use the system only in an emergency, without interfering with regular flight???
Yes it does, as you become more experienced, you can "dial down" the CPII, or if you like set it up as a "bail out" function.

nightflyr

Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi I am a big fan of flight stabilization systems,I have 2 helicommands and 3 flymentors soon to be 4. However I took this hobby up 2 years ago at the age of 61. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never be able to fly without them.
But for the younger man you will need a lot of discipline or I believe it will inhibit your learning. You will have fewer or no crashes so you will not learn how to rebuilt and set up, I had countless crashes during my first year so with the help of finless bob and reading this forum I became very good at repair and set up. only one crash during my second year with stablization fitted and that was down to a failed servo.
When you go to the field you will have 2 choices, turn it of and learn to fly without it or turn it on and have fun flying and for the beginner the flight time are very limited because you will only have one or two batteries. So unless you are very disciplined you will turn it on and have fun. You can turn it down but again you will need discipline.
I dont want to put you off because I love them but I do believe that it will take you longer to learn and a lot of discipline will be required. On the plus side leaning will be more fun. Another plus is that because you will fly fairly quickly you will become addicted to this hobby, a lot of guys fail at the hover stage and either bin or sell there heli.If and when you learn to fly without it you can use it as a bailout device. But remember no flight stablization system will help unless the heli is set up correctly and trimmed . My advice go for it. Hope this helps you decide.
Have fun Ivor
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in