Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Objective Comparison?

Does anyone have a heli designed to FBL that was flying good on another FBL System that they have converted to the Total G?

Very Interested to see SK-720 or even VBar > Total G. By Designed for I mean a FBL Kit os head specifically know to work well with FBL systems.
Example: Any Align 600 or greater 3G Kit, or Align 600 or greater with Mikado Conversion.

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am converting my 700 Nitro 3G from Align-3G over to Total-G. I am 90% complete with the conversion and will be testing in the next day or so. I have also had the V-Bar on this unit as well.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was flying a Rave 3D with CYE FBL head on an SK360 & GY520 w/ S9257. I now have 6 flights on the Total-G still running the S9257. I am not a 3D guy, but fly airplane style aerobatics. So far, I find them very similar other than piro performance which is crazy fast w/ the Total-G and also a much softer stop than the GY520. I like the 520 which I use on all of my other helis and always find the stop to be very sharp. I realize there are parameters on the Total-G that I haven't had time to explore yet which may affect this. On cyclic, they fly very similar except I would describe the Total-G as having a more expo effect, even a bit non-linear in pitch and roll. The Total-G is, of course, hugely easier to install with no recevier & gyro and assorted wires. Set up was also very easy.

Sorry I can't give you any data on larger helis or 3D manuevers, but so far I like it a lot as compared the the others I have tried including the V-bar (which was not mine) and the SK360 which I have set up on almost 12 helis.
rablett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegodsey View Post
I am converting my 700 Nitro 3G from Align-3G over to Total-G. I am 90% complete with the conversion and will be testing in the next day or so. I have also had the V-Bar on this unit as well.
Looking forward to your opinion.
Felt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will let you guys know soon. I have been now going through the software setup on the unit through the external USB adaptor. Once I feel everything has been double checked, I will be giving a flying update. Two specific things I am looking for on this unit NOT to have are these:

Any tail issues, i.e., wagging, swing, random kicks, etc.. Very common in the Align 3G

Not feeling connected as much as you would with a flybar. Common issue with most other FBL systems. Most people would describe this as a delay in the helicopters response in relationship to their stick inputs.

Will keep you all posted..
Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Account Closed

The original plan was to build this purpose built FBL700 and do testing first with the TOTAL G, however the delays forced me to go with a SK720. So far it is flying fantastic with the SK. I still very much want to test it with a TOTAL G when $$$ allow. I spent alot of time figuring out how to eliminate the high ratio bellcranks and get the geometry better with different size servo arms and changing the lenght of the inner and outer swashring balls....basically maximize the servo resolution and eliminate un-needed servo throw in the collective range all while still maintaining appropriate cyclic range...it wasn't an easy task but it was worth it so far as the SK720 proves.

After reading posts by helivig himself regarding the what the TOTAL G likes to see as far as resolution goes, I cant wait to get my mitts on one and do a comparison. I've already done vbar 4.0 for awhile and the SK wins by an ever so slim margin at the moment(sk better feel ..vbar hands down best tail ever..basically a toss up). Would like to try v5.0 at some point in the future but I think the TG will without a doubt be next up to test.

inverted cnc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i ran the full size vbar 4.0 on my 700N with the mikado FBL conversion head for the last 6 months or so and loved it. it was my best flying heli. recently i ran into some vibration problem and the heli always wanted to roll hard right in stunt modes. the vbar was flying great until the vibe problem. vbar setup isnt difficult but if i wanted to make changes to the setup at the field i had to have my laptop with me to do it. the vbar cyclic is really crisp and the heli flies straight as an arrow. the vbar tail is the best i've ever flown. no drift whatsoever and always feels solid. the downside to the vbar is the amount of electronics i had installed. when they update with the gov it will give a cleaner setup.

i flew my 700N with the total-g for the first time today. the setup wasn't difficult but the instructions could be better. my 700N is using the 3G servo wheels with the balls on the inside holes. tail servo has the ball out at 17mm. straight from takeoff the heli felt great. played around with the gains a bit. increasing in small increments from default. the tail feels nice like the soild-g. downside is i had bounce on the stops and didnt see anywhere in the software to change the stops like on the solid-g with g-view. waiting for the g-view 2. cyclic speed is easily adjustable from the radio as well is overall pitch range. the cyclics didnt feel quite as locked in as on the vbar but i havent maxed out my main rotor gain yet either (something the manual says to do first). tomorrow i'll be taking it out again and upping the main rotor gain until i get some oscillation, then back it down a touch. tic-tocs can be done really hard and fast with the total-g. continuous pirouettes were a little shaky. the heli wanted to wobble around while doing them. too windy to do the auto-trim flight for better pirouette performance.

the gov was dead on, 1750, 1880, and 1950 in the flight modes. no unloading or bogging from the engine. This was with an Align 91 and spektrum backplate sensor.

overall i'd pick the total-g over the vbar for its simplicity, ease of use, tx adjustability, and great flying characteristics. this would be an awesome unit to purchase if you're buying a new heli.

Last edited by chuckk; 08-29-2010 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: engine info
chuckk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FYI on Tail programming

You can access the simulated G-View programming from the TotalG software and adjust all the same gyro settings, click on 'programming' and choose 'Gview' on the drop down.

Ned
ncarbon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for that menu when I get back home.

Awesome. Found the menu. plug the USB cable into the gyro side and under the programming tab i found the g-view option. Added a bit more coast to the left and right piro stops. I never would've found that menu if you didn't mention it. I would've had no clue what the menu's were for if I didn't already have a Solid-G instruction manual. Big downfall IMO for the Total-G is the lack of in-depth instructions.

Last edited by chuckk; 08-29-2010 at 05:59 PM..
chuckk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

We are working on very detailed instructions for the Total-G. Stay tuned, they should be available online soon.

Brian
Buzzin Brian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in