Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Synergy Model Helicopters

Synergy Model Helicopters Synergy Model Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default N5 build troubles!! Help!

Hey fellas,

I'm getting a little frustrated over here with this N5. Just wondering if anyone else went through the headaches Im running into.

1) the links are ridiculously tight so now I'm waiting on a hypersizer that seems to be must have with these synergy kits.

2) After installing the servos, I was trial fitting a set of brandnew CY stick bangers and no spacers or shims were in the kit or with the blades, damn.

3) If that wasnt bad enough, the main blade holder bolts are too big and wont go through the blades?? HUH? They'll go through the grips fine but too big for the blades! What a design flaw or someone was napping when they threw my kit together.

I know Matt did a great job, so I hear, but this is crazy. little help??
kvnm27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. The links are very tight. That's normal. Either use a Hypersizer or take a spare ball and use a dremel tool to cut a notch in it, which will act as a sharp edge to remove material from the plastic link when rotated inside. NOTE: Do NOT go crazy with the Hypersizer! It will loosen the links quicker than you think, so just try two or three twists at most to start out and go from there. I'm finding that the links are actually breaking themselves in as the bird accumulates more flights, so I started off with them a bit tight even after sizing them.

2. Usually Curtis gives you spacers with the blades...did you check in the little rectangular compartment that is attached to the underside of the box flap? You can cut yourself some shims out of sheet plastic that can be purchased from a typical hobby shop in various thicknesses. I think I'm using two shims of 1mm thickness...one on either side of the blade so that it's centered in the grip.

3. This one is odd... I hate to ask the question, but did you purchase the correct blade size? I've personally seen Matt fly the N5 with CYE blades in person with the stock head, so I know that they fit. Unfortunately, I can't speak from personal experience because I'm running FBL with the RJX head and a set of SAB's.

If you've got any other issues with the build, please feel free to PM me or take a look at my build thread:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=234153

There are a few frustrating bits about the build, but all in all it's easily the best and simplest build that I've done so far...plus NO heli is perfect! When you get it done and in the air, you'll feel much better!
Justin Pucci is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks JP!!

I took a drill with an extra ball link in the kit and snap the link on it and spun the drill/ball. It helped but they are still snug! I'll check with a fellow RC'r here and see what he says. This isnt my first build, I've built 3 Trex's. I guess I just got use to that brand, haha.

As for the blades, no shims came with CY blades. Maybe Helidirect and I should have a talk.

The blade grip bolt--What i found is that the threads ( from a side view) is thicker than the smooth part of the shaft of the bolt. So I used force( I'm a glutten for punishment and impatient, lol!) It now works fine and threads are also fine. I guess in manufacturing that screw got a little out of alignment. Anyway it will work and the other is fine also.

Thanks for your quick response!! I'll repost to this when she's airborne and tell ya what I think and what I think of jumping off the taiwanese bandwagon!!
Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL, glad to hear that it worked out for you, Kv! The N5 was my first non-Align build and I'm not looking back! The non-Align world is pretty darn cool!

I can't wait to hear about the maiden! Good luck with it and welcome to the N5 family!
Justin Pucci is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea the curtis blades fit and fly great, i dont fly them on mine but i know that Matt flys them on all his machines , i use the align d blades and they use the spacer also, hope it all works out for ya, the N5 is a wicked heli, youll love it
Old 11-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well she's been maiden'd! It flew pretty well, but post flight inspection, not so good. The bell crank shaft isnt holding up. The elevator arm on the bell crank shaft (inside frame halves) has play. About 3mm worth of play.

...Nice! This is a first...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

did you make sure and use a grub screw for the bellcrank to elevator shaft that is flat nosed. You either need to file the existing one down or buy one that is flat on the end to hold the shaft better, I believe the stock one is tipped.
flyboy907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in