Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Atom with Scorpion HKIII 4020-1100 - Questions

I feel like my HKIII-4020-1100kv on my atom 550 (6s 4000Ah, Castle talon 90) is running hot and not putting out as much power as it should. Could the timing be wrong? I am only flying it at 85%. Any more and it sounds bad. Is the timing different on it from the stock motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is that THE samcassidy posting?? I can't believe it
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Is that THE samcassidy posting?? I can't believe it
says you!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I got my 4020-1100 today and got 1 flight in. After 4 minutes it did seem quite hot. Any ideas on timing? My 4025 always came down very cool. I need to do more testing but this motor only bought me 30 more seconds of flight time with noticeably less power.

Edit: I'm using the HW 100A V3 ESC

Scorpion website says
Timing = 5 deg
Drive f = 8 kHz

Last edited by aburkhardt; 05-08-2015 at 10:00 AM..
aburkhardt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburkhardt View Post
So I got my 4020-1100 today and got 1 flight in. After 4 minutes it did seem quite hot. Any ideas on timing? My 4025 always came down very cool. I need to do more testing but this motor only bought me 30 more seconds of flight time with noticeably less power.

Edit: I'm using the HW 100A V3 ESC

Scorpion website says
Timing = 5 deg
Drive f = 8 kHz

Whats up man. I looked into it and found a thread, ill see if I can re-find it for you.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I cant find the thread unfortunately. I used a IR temp gun after a normal flight and checked all my temps, motor was at 140f and ESC was cool too so I just left what I had, I actually never even checked in the software. Its hard to say, as it is different for different ESC. I think most people start with 8 on timing and Normal PWM (thats what it is in CC anyway). I *think* with 12 you get slightly more power but sacrifice time and temps (could be wrong).

Not sure, or sure how to find out unfortunately. Hopefully somebody comes along that can help us. I feel like I'm in the desert out here on the compass forms now though. Id like to know what mine should be as well with the Talon.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Remember, CC uses a proprietary timing structure where the HW uses a physical measurement based on the pole count of the motor. 5 degrees will likely translate out to 12° to 15° of timing on the HW, but that's just a guess off the top of my head. I've never found a 1:1 ratio between the two controllers so you just end up picking the best one for your flying style and temperature preferences.

Scorpion motors tend to run a little on the hotter side, but even then 140°F isn't bad considering a max temperature of about 180°F on the bearings. At 140°F you won't be able to touch the motor for long (just like the backplate of a nitro, 2-3 seconds at most) but that doesn't mean impending doom for it. If it started edging up a lot more towards that 180° mark then I would be worried.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
Remember, CC uses a proprietary timing structure where the HW uses a physical measurement based on the pole count of the motor. 5 degrees will likely translate out to 12° to 15° of timing on the HW, but that's just a guess off the top of my head. I've never found a 1:1 ratio between the two controllers so you just end up picking the best one for your flying style and temperature preferences.

Scorpion motors tend to run a little on the hotter side, but even then 140°F isn't bad considering a max temperature of about 180°F on the bearings. At 140°F you won't be able to touch the motor for long (just like the backplate of a nitro, 2-3 seconds at most) but that doesn't mean impending doom for it. If it started edging up a lot more towards that 180° mark then I would be worried.
Agreed, I have always heard if it is under 180-200 its fine.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The bearing grease is usually ok up to 200 in most cases (although 185 is a maximum I've seen posted a few times over the years) but the cooler the better with any electronic equipment. Normally once it gets that hot it's hard to get rid of the heat and it can start to avalanche.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in