Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New full VGA resolution eyeglasses from Sharper Image...

I picked up a pair of these the other day from Sharper Image:

Here's a link to more info: http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...uct/sku__II510

They are a bit on the pricey side but they work fantastic. The are very low profile, so it is quite easy to see over them to fly, but still be able to glance down to get a quick look at what the camera is seeing. These are perfect for quick real estate shoots, where you basically just need to verify the down angle. This can eliminate the need for a separate camera operator for many shots, which reduces costs.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I tried a pair of glasses and I did not like them I am going to try a screen next.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've thought about a pair of these. I mostly shoot video solo and don't need to see the feed, but occasionaly I shoot stills and I hate having to round up a helper to operate the camera.

but at $549... sheeesh... that's spendy
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I wish they'd come up with an easy way to use these devices for those of us who want/need prescription glasses or even sunglasses.

I hacked an old pair of prescription glasses and fitted them to the old eyetops but man what a pain that was, and it's still not ideal.

Can they add tinting to the laser eye surgery ? :glasses2: :glasses:
lakespinner2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was looking at getting a pair of the MicroOptical MYVU glasses listed for $269. They just went on sale this week at www.myvu.com.

I'd like to check it out first hand before buying them. The Icuiti glasses have better specs, 640x480 vs. 320x240 but is it worth $300 more if you're only using them for framing shots?

Phil
phil007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks nice, I am using the CV1's and they are awesome. Full visibility of the heli and downlink at the same time. Pricey for sure but they work really well.

These look like a nice lightweight portable solution for the camera operator though

Tabb
Old 06-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespinner2
I wish they'd come up with an easy way to use these devices for those of us who want/need prescription glasses or even sunglasses.

I hacked an old pair of prescription glasses and fitted them to the old eyetops but man what a pain that was, and it's still not ideal.

Can they add tinting to the laser eye surgery ? :glasses2: :glasses:
These have adjustable diopters, so I don't have to wear reading glasses with these.

I definitely think the high resolution is the key. Makes a difference between being able to steal a quick glance, and having to stare at the display a bit for your brain to figure out what you are looking at, at least for my aging eyes... Seriously, you can see a big difference.

Granted, for hobby stuff, this is overkill, but if you are into paying jobs, and don't have a "free" camera operator (wife, kid, etc...), these could pay for themselves pretty quick, by eliminating the camera operator's "cut".

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbytabb
Looks nice, I am using the CV1's and they are awesome. Full visibility of the heli and downlink at the same time. Pricey for sure but they work really well.

These look like a nice lightweight portable solution for the camera operator though

Tabb
I also have the EyeTops unit, that is similar in concept to the CV-1, but I found I had to really focus on it pretty hard to see the downlink. With these, the picture is bigger, and a lot clearer, so with my limited flying skills, I can actually just take quick glances, and not get in any more trouble than normal.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 06-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gary, I have some eyetops also and they are terrible. Gave me headaches and made it impossible to fly well. The CV1s are a totally different ball game. I am going to take a look at a set of these today for my camera operator when we hike with the heli and dont want to haul the LCD screen

Tabb
Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

They also have the best models!

(See if you can find the ICUITI DV920 glasses)

Phil
phil007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

G
Quote:
(See if you can find the ICUITI DV920 glasses)

Glasses...I don't see any glasses!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see them, and what a lovely pair they are!

www.tppacks.com
Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

How about these eyewear sets from Icuiti or MicroOptical that go for around $2500?! I like the MicroOptical (third image) the best because of it's versatility with different frames but their customer service is terrible!! Especially for that kind of cost.

www.icuiti.com

www.microoptical.net/Products/HomePage.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microoptical.jpg (25.2 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg icuiti2.jpg (8.2 KB, 1035 views)
File Type: jpg icuiti1.jpg (9.9 KB, 1154 views)
sky high is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't tried the CV-1s that Tabb is talking about, but I have tried a couple of different "monocle" designs, and they don't do it for me, for a couple of reasons. First the image is smaller, and in the case of the Eyetops unit, there is a movable lens that you have to look through that always seems to need positioning. The second reason is the resolution. Most are 320x240, and require a bit of "staring" at in order to figure out what you are looking at. These Icuiti DV920 glasses have a full VGA 640x480 resolution and they have large images for both eyes. These are the first ones that I've found that really let you take a quick glance and be able to instantly comprehend what the camera is seeing, without having to stare at it.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Gary how do these work for you out in the bright california sun. This looks like a good option for a single pilot ground station
bat1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespinner2
Ditto!

Not that mine have to be prescription, but I can't fly without sunglasses, so I can't seem to find something to work with them.

About the myvu, Dakine (Tony) over on RR picked some up and posted a review of them a while back. He said he like them and they were good.
dreslism is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used cv-3's for a handful of flights, and even in bright sun, I could see a decent image. I chose not to go with them as I decided I could shoot better photos with a copilot, but they definetly work.

rhett
rroback is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in