Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters

Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Competitor help

I just bought a restorable Competitor. The only thing missing that I really have to have is the collet that mounts the fan to the engine. I plan on using an HP Goldcup 61 in it, the Goldcup has an 8mm shaft. If anyone that used to fly Competitors has a collet to fit in their collection of old parts that they would be willing to part with, I would really appreciate it.

I also need to duplicate the tail fins as they are missing. If anyone has an original Competitor and could measure the horizontal and vertical fins, that information would also be of great help.

Allen Dye
Dyehard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found this site that might help when I searched for GMP parts. I don't know how old it is.

http://mphelis.com/
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brokedad. while that site doesn't help with my immediate problems, it did help in other ways. They have a downloadable copy of the Competitors manual, which will help greatly, and they have canopies if I should need one. I sure appreciate the help.

Allen
Old 09-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you talking about the brass collet or the entire aluminum clutch mount?
I will get you the measurements for the fins, maybe tomorrow.
gumpstump is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gumpstump, just the tapered brass collet that goes on the engine crankshaft first, before you slide the fan and clutch mount on. According to the Competitor manual, the part number should be 429A.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, so I have a collet but unfortunately it is around 10mm id.

Tail fins measure 9x2.5" for the horizontal and 3x4.5" for the vertical stab portion.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gumpstump, thanks for the measurments. Does the collet fit the Competitor fan? If so, I may be able to shim the ID to fit the 8mm crank.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know if this will exactly help but take a look. I'm glad I could help with the manual at least. I love my old Hirobo and hope you get your project up and flying.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/8mm-collets
Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks the effort Brokedad but the collet in question is a specific part made just for the Competitor and probably for the Hirobo 888, since most of the Competitor parts were just repurposed Hirobo parts. There were two different collets, the 429A and the 429B. The manual states that the 429A was for the OS engines. The manual goes on to state that 429B was for engines with a smaller crankshaft diameter than the OS had, so the 429B may be what I need. If Gumpstump has a 429A, I may be able to shim to fit the 8mm crank on my HP with a piece of brass tubing.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Take a look here......

http://www.vario-helicopter.biz/au/M...egi8hn8f7sbrn2

Maybe this will help.

HW.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle. Robert Anthony.
Heliwhisperer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the collet I have is for the competitor fan. I dont think you would be able to shim successfully, you need to have the run out of the assembly below around .002. Hate to say this but it would probably be better off just trying to pick up an old os 61. Not sure how the HP motors run but lots of people including myself are familiar with the OS engines if you need help. I may even have a spare engine if you are interested.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I know about the runout requirments. I can't count the flywheels and startshafts I've had to dial indicate over the last 43 years of heli flying. .002 is almost too much. Just about a lost art with the new helis. What I had in mind was using a piece of 10 mm od brass tubing as an insert if I can find a piece with the right wall thinkness. If that plan falls through, I have a friend that has a bunch of older OS engines and I can probably talk him out of one of them. I even have a Supertigre carb I can put on an OS to make it run decent.

Back when I was a GMP inner circle flyer we went through about every variation on OS .61 made, along with the Enyas, the HBs and a few others, so tuning is no problem.

Right now I just need the right collet and I would be willing to pay anything reasonable if you would be willing to part with yours.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Out of curiosity I found some pictures, exploded view, etc of what you are restoring here:

http://www.vrhc.co.uk/RC%20Helicopte...Competitor.htm
Old 09-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I keep VRHC in my favorites, not only for the GMPs but also for the Shluters and Kalts I have. Thanks though for mentioning it.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The collet for the Hirobo Falcon Mk I, Mk II, 505, 707, and 808 should fit as well (they all had the same fan).

There may be a collet that will fit for R/C Marine/flywheel use that will fit as well.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Speaking of the exploded view on VRHC site, that is for the very first version of the Competitor Pro. Notice the swash plate with the rubber boot. That is the first version of the Competitor that I had, somewhere around 82. The instructions for the swash said to use silicone rubber on the screws holding the balls to the swash, guess how well that worked out. Got lucky, when a bell links ball came off it was in a hover. That's when really found out what locktite was for. Can't remember about using Loctite on the Shluters berfore that, maybe we just got lucky.

Anyway, I had every version of Competitor and Cobra made until John went under, wish I had all of them back.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah Clem, I have been looking for a collet off the one of the Hirobos to, no luck there either.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM me your address and I will send you the collet.
Like to see some pictures when you get it going. I flew Competitors years ago, just recently started acquiring some GMP birds. So far I have a Cobra, Competitor, Cricket and the first version of the Shuttle. Got them all flying pretty much just working out some bugs.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM on the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in