Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Massive tail vibrations!! Help!?!

Ok, i recently upgraded my whole tail to a thrusted assembly. I followed the instructions according to MSH's site.

http://www.msheli.com/Manual/MSH51330_Tech_Data.pdf

I also purchased 2 sets of different MSH Tail blades. Standard and the 3K one's all of which are perfectly balanced.

If i spin up the heli without blades it's vibration free. Once i install either of the tail blades the vibrations are present causing my beastx to roll violently. I slapped on the old Fusuno helidirect tail blades i had left over from a crash and the helicopter has much less vibrations but more importantly it doesn't bother the beastx resulting in me being able to fly the helicopter.

Im stumped fellas.... any ideas? help will be much appreciated.
blueprint is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to balance the tail blades along with the rotor.

Best method is:

- Take off main blades and tail control rod
- Spool up the heli and put your hand over the gyro, check vibration level
- Put a small piece of tape in the midde of one of the blades and spool up the heli
- Put your hand over the gyro, check vibration level - if it is lower, tape is in the correct blade, if higher, put the tape in the other blade and repeat
- The position and amount of tape does matter, so this is basically a trial and error method.
Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
whisperdancer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

very tedious job and i found it worked but the tape kept coming off.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd check the tail hub. Although new, it may be bent or out of specs.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently picked up a dubro try spin balancer. Completely cured my Trex 500 of all main and tail rotor vibrations. I will be using it on my Protos if it ever gets here.

Trex 500 Vbar
Nipels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure your tail grips are pulled out all the way. The MSH thrusted tail with MSH tail blades should be good with low vibes. I get more vibes from the belt vibrating at 2800 rpms.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
Make sure your tail grips are pulled out all the way. The MSH thrusted tail with MSH tail blades should be good with low vibes. I get more vibes from the belt vibrating at 2800 rpms.
I re-did the bearings and used more grease... after it's screwed in there is zero slop or play and the grips are seated in the shaft properly.

I've been playing with the tape and balancing the blades and the vibrations are more manageable but the fact that there is tape on my tail blades concerns me... if it comes off in flight the helicopter will definitely crash.

I've resorted to the fact that MSH 3K and Standard tail blades are absolute crap. I purchased 3 sets of KBDD Blades with the 4mm root. Hopefully that solves my problem.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

the kbdd blades dont fit very well on the thrustred tail. the root is too long and rubs the srew in the grip.

Check that the belt is tightened equally on both sides of the main gear. If one side is tighter then the other or you’re off a tooth then the whole heli will wobble. Watch the vibes when it spools are they slow with the main shaft or fast with the tail?…
mattmezz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the tape, the best way I found to prevent coming off is to use tape along the border (in the lenght of the blade) instead across the blade. I have mine for some months now, and it's still going strong.
I use electrical black tape.
Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
whisperdancer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There's nothing wrong with the stock MSH blades or 3K blades. I find the 3K blades to be more stiff than the KBDD blades. You'll be surprised when you get the KBDD blades as they rarely weigh the same. I have bought many sets and were given some free ones after the ones I received differed in weight significantly. The MSH blades still provided the smoothest running tail rotor. If you have vibe issues then the problem is most likely elsewhere. When you put on the blades, the cg of the entire tail moves further out (blade + grip + bearings + tail hub), thus making any cg difference between sides more noticeable in the form of vibes.

If you can get a good small digital scale, you can weigh out the blades, grips, bearings individually and match them up to get equal weight on each side. You'll have a better chance of a balanced tail rotor.

If you need to add tape, use some transparent tape (not the magic dull looking tape). Place it across the leading edge of the blade.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I went to my LHS and purchased a set of Edge tail blades and i had to sand/dremel the root a LOT to finally get them to fit onto the grips. Blades were balanced and weight identical.

Helicopter is now Vibration free and tail locks on like it's on rails.

Complete nightmare with the 3K blades.... no matter what i did the damn things wouldn't balance. I got the stock MSH blades to balance out but there is still some vibrations.

Talked to a few of my buddies who have protos as well and they reported similar problems with the 3K. Sanded down KBDD, Standard MSH Tail blades and Edge blades seem to work best.

Just glad to finally get this thing back into the air... been tinkering with it entirely to much after a small crash a few weeks back. Never had these type of tail issues with my TREX 500.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you check the MSH tail blades against each other to make sure they one of them wasn't bent or slightly off?

The grips should be pulled all the way out so as to make sure the bearings are seated all the way in. The way you worded your post, it almost sounds as if you pushed your tail grips in.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
Did you check the MSH tail blades against each other to make sure they one of them wasn't bent or slightly off?

The grips should be pulled all the way out so as to make sure the bearings are seated all the way in. The way you worded your post, it almost sounds as if you pushed your tail grips in.
I had them both ways in and out but the force when the blades spin eventually makes there way out. It's such a huge bummer that MSH didn't make 5mm tail root blade grips.... the hell were they thinking.

Has anybody ever used the Infinity cnc tail/grips?
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=4184

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in