Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ec3 and ec5 plugs

Does anyone have any easy tricks how to solder wire to ec3 or ec5 plugs seem to have trouble locking the gold connectors in the plugs thanks ken
firhwk2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just stand them up on the table and use a small flat head screwdriver to get on top of the actual connector..then a light tap on the handle of the screwdriver to pop it in place. Just be sure the tip is right up against the wire and on top of the solder.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The solder has to be perfectly clean on the outside so nothing but gold showing.

The easiest way to solder EC3 and EC5's is to use a butane torch. I got a Butane Torch soldering iron from Home Depot for 10 bucks and it makes it a breeze.

Just secure the bullet connector, heat the connector, melt some solder in there then insert the wire. Hold it in there for a few seconds to ensure the solder heats up the wire and gets a good connection so you don't get a cold solder joint.

Then just push it into the plsatic with a flathead. As long as the outside has no solder on it, it should go right in.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

There are a lot of YT videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=soldering+ec5
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took a piece of red oak trim and used my drill index to make nice, snug holes for each size connector. I just drilled them deep enough to reach the locking barb on the connector, then I can rest the iron against the side of the connector and it frees my other hand to insert the wire and hold. I also drilled and inserted an alligator clip to hold wires so I can tin them.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann841 View Post
The solder has to be perfectly clean on the outside so nothing but gold showing.

The easiest way to solder EC3 and EC5's is to use a butane torch. I got a Butane Torch soldering iron from Home Depot for 10 bucks and it makes it a breeze.

Just secure the bullet connector, heat the connector, melt some solder in there then insert the wire. Hold it in there for a few seconds to ensure the solder heats up the wire and gets a good connection so you don't get a cold solder joint.

Then just push it into the plsatic with a flathead. As long as the outside has no solder on it, it should go right in.
+1 . . . Word for word. . Same here
Dejavu*Xion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's my tried and true method

SO easy and so secure

Soldering EC5 connectors with a torch lighter. (3 min 16 sec)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

65 watt soldering iron with a good wide chisel tip does it for me. These things are so easy to solder and install. Be happy you are not dealing with deans connectors that we had to use for years LOL! Now they really suck!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the Weller 8200 with the wide chisel tip at the 100w setting, makes EC3 and EC5 soldering a snap. Just like above, a small flat blade screwdriver to snap them into place.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plug a mating plastic housing into the one you're going to be pushing the bullets into. It will keep you from mangling the thin plastic around the bullets. Also, if it hasn't already been mentioned, do it right after soldering while the bullets are still warm. Not hot enough to melt the plastic, but still plenty warm. They'll go in easier. If you still have difficulty, see if you have "backwards" connectors. There are some out there where you feed the wire through the plastic housing first, solder the bullet and then pull the wire back through the housing to snap the bullet in place.
jadewarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

What they're saying....is that you have to fabricate a soldering jig.

The two most common soldering mistakes, are:

1) Too little heat on the connector.

2) If one allows the slightest movement, when the iron is removed, a cold joint is almost always the result.

As was mentioned, a simple block of wood.....even balsa obtained from your LHS...

can be drilled...or whatever....holding the connector in place.....allowing one to feed solder with one hand, while keeping iron heat on the connector with the other hand....fill up the connector "solder cup".....look for a solder "fillet"....

And #3) is...

Trying to rush the process....take your time...it takes 3x the time to "setup" the jig....as it does to ensure a proper solder connection.....this process is critical to ensure the results that you expect.....if one cuts corners, well...

FWIW
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post

Trying to rush the process....take your time...it takes 3x the time to "setup" the jig....as it does to ensure a proper solder connection.....this process is critical to ensure the results that you expect.....if one cuts corners, well...
Absolutely. Great advice. Do not rush soldering jobs. Unfortunately, sometimes people do this because it generally comes towards the end of a build and they're antsy to fly. They very often get impatient. I've been guilty of it myself in the past. And, it bit me.
jadewarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is probably the best video.
Soldering EC5 Connectors (9 min 44 sec)
cyjonz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Here's my tried and true method

SO easy and so secure

Soldering EC5 connectors with a torch lighter. - YouTube
Very close to what I do
you do need to keep applying heat after you insert the wire into the bullet for at least 10 seconds to bring the wire up to temp to prevent any chance of a cold solder joint.

Other than that and I let mine cool at room temp. Fast cooling can contribute to a cold joint also

Always make sure you heat is not directed toward your battery pack

I used a iron for years but a small butane torch is much quicker and easer with all bullet connectors
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My little contribution is that if you get a bit of solder on the outside of the bullet, take a nail file to it, so the connector slides in.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some of the knock-off plugs don't "lock" the bullets in well at all.

If you're having a hard time getting them to lock into the blue connector, try heating the bullets up a little.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in