Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #541 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie1 View Post
totally agree what about a new thread about how we are going to assign switchs etc and leave navissa here to expound on his theories
I believe it was Heraclitus who said:" Thinking makes lonely." I know its true, which means all of you must have a lot of friends.

I do all of you a favor and won't be seen here again. How is that?! (thats a rhetorical question).

G
neavissa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #542 (permalink)
Registered Users

In that case I haven't got a scooby Doo what your trying to say.

So far I've read you want a 720 to level the Heli at the flick of a switch. But return to a given height / deck.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #543 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
totally agree what about a new thread about how we are going to assign switchs etc and leave navissa here to expound on his theories
Yes, time for a clean start config thread now that we have a manual and some basic information on how the unit works. Don't need to go through 500+ post here just to get to the start of anything useful.
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #544 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #545 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
The 720 alone has no idea where the deck is! It needs the GPS for this to happen.
But that's not what neavissa is saying. What he wants is for the unit to apply pitch to the bird when SL is activated, just like the HC. A hard deck and GPS would have nothing to do with this. It could be done with a simple firmware upgrade to the existing units. However, for whatever reason Skookum either has chosen not to do this or hasn't gotten to it yet.

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #546 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgi UK View Post
=] indeed!
Can you clarify something for me Georgi?

I was studying the manual and the screen shot of the config software, and it appears that we can only choose two of the 6 options available for us at a time. The three position switch will use one position for manual flight mode and then the other two positions for whatever choices we make, correct?

If this is correct, then this means if I choose "rescue now" for one position and then "go home" for the other, then I have no way to use the other hard deck or hold functions listed in the manual unless I were to re program the unit and swap out features?

Thanks Georgi
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #547 (permalink)
Registered Users

IF on a 3 position switch
1. is manual
2. is return to home
3. is?????

if you are a 3D flyer?
if you are a sport or scale flyer?

what sequence of these on the switch up, centre, down.

Can return to home be "down" meaning you have to go through "bail out" to get to it and when you "return home" do you have to go back to "manual" to land?
oldie1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #548 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
=] defo! there seems to some confusion setting in hence your question maybe?

we can fly with a full-time hard deck and play above this happily, or, we can play below the hard deck and turn it on when needed for a rescue.

either side is concerned with altitude as a priority, never flown buddy box but that is what it is!
You placed a good question, but I see no one answered, it would be good to know.
flydoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #549 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
But that's not what neavissa is saying. What he wants is for the unit to apply pitch to the bird when SL is activated, just like the HC. A hard deck and GPS would have nothing to do with this. It could be done with a simple firmware upgrade to the existing units. However, for whatever reason Skookum either has chosen not to do this or hasn't gotten to it yet.
I see! In that case he would be better off with a HC then. Problem solved.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #550 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
IF on a 3 position switch
1. is manual
2. is return to home
3. is?????

if you are a 3D flyer?
if you are a sport or scale flyer?

what sequence of these on the switch up, centre, down.

Can return to home be "down" meaning you have to go through "bail out" to get to it and when you "return home" do you have to go back to "manual" to land?
This is described in detail in page nine of the manual. You set what function is the middle and one side of the switch will be, and then the remaining side of the switch is manual flight. Which side depends on your servo setup for the channel you are using.

The manual suggest putting your bail out as one of the end positions as you don't want to fiddle with trying to find middle switch in a panic situation. For me, I'm thinking manual flight, Go Home as the middle position beause it would be rarely used and then Rescue Now as the other end of the switch. Easy to then flip quickly between manual and rescue.

The heli will not land itself in the go home function. You must take back over and do this.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #551 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I will go with Manual - Rescue (hard or soft) floor - Rescue now for my switch positions. I will play with the other modes but I can't see I will use Altitude hold or Return to home and the Rescue modes give me access to Position hold after it gets to the hard deck level anyway.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #552 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICNU View Post
This is described in detail in page nine of the manual. You set what function is the middle and one side of the switch will be, and then the remaining side of the switch is manual flight. Which side depends on your servo setup for the channel you are using.

The manual suggest putting your bail out as one of the end positions as you don't want to fiddle with trying to find middle switch in a panic situation. For me, I'm thinking manual flight, Go Home as the middle position beause it would be rarely used and then Rescue Now as the other end of the switch. Easy to then flip quickly between manual and rescue.

The heli will not land itself in the go home function. You must take back over and do this.

I was thinking.

1 Manual
2 Soft Deck
3 Go Home

What I'm unclear about it how this works in operation.

I would really like the Soft Deck to gently push back if the heli is getting to close to the deck, but let me keep flying. So that if I'm flying inverted and it gets close it just pushes the heli up a bit rather than flipping the heli upright.

One of the key things I want to work on next is burning in my inverted flying.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #553 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I was thinking.

1 Manual
2 Soft Deck
3 Go Home

What I'm unclear about it how this works in operation.

I would really like the Soft Deck to gently push back if the heli is getting to close to the deck, but let me keep flying. So that if I'm flying inverted and it gets close it just pushes the heli up a bit rather than flipping the heli upright.

One of the key things I want to work on next is burning in my inverted flying.
Yes I was wondering about this too. The manual states that the soft floor gives less control to the pilot, so it appears that this is not the behavior you will get using it.

The best I can tell, both hard decks will end in the exact same result, which is triggering the rescue mode (uprighting your heli tail in and holding position until you take back over)

The only difference is the soft deck will do this more aggressively and not let you pass the line, or even possibly stop you before you reach it. This sounds like a function you would want when using the lowest deck setting, especially if they eventually allow us to go lower.

The hard deck sounds like the heli must actually cross the line before this happens, so its just a matter of how sensitive the system is to the line drawn in the sand, but the end result is the same for both. This is of course if my reading comprehension is up to task and I'm getting what the manual is trying to tell me. There are few things that are confusing in the way it is written. For example, it says: "The SK-GPS has three different rescue modes. Both will stop the heli’s motion, level it out, and orient it tail-in (tail towards you). The difference between the two modes lies in when the SK-GPS bails the heli out"

It says three modes, but then continues to talk about "both" or "two" so I have to assume the third is the rescue now manual flip of a switch and not the automatic hard deck activation.

What you are describing sounds nice.......like a bounce feature
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #554 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What you are describing sounds nice.......like a bounce feature
There you go. Ideally, I would want to fly my heli inside a force field that nudges me back, but lets me keep flying. This would be much less aggressive on the heli, generate smaller BEC current spikes, and be easier to work with.

However, I'll DEFINITELY take a system that bails me out upright before allowing my heli to hit dirt!

The time it saves me in rebuilds would be substantially more time than the time to pick up where I left off and continue flying.

So I'm not complaining, and I'm sure they are already plastered with more suggestions than they can handle.

I typically fly from the top of a hill, so I figure I will need to take off from a point about 10' down from the top of the hill to put the heli's deck where I would like it to be to offer me the protection I need when I am doing all of my flying.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #555 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you clarify something for me Georgi?

I was studying the manual and the screen shot of the config software, and it appears that we can only choose two of the 6 options available for us at a time. The three position switch will use one position for manual flight mode and then the other two positions for whatever choices we make, correct?

If this is correct, then this means if I choose "rescue now" for one position and then "go home" for the other, then I have no way to use the other hard deck or hold functions listed in the manual unless I were to re program the unit and swap out features?
=] yes, 2 gps modes on a 3 way switch, I only used a 2 way which meant hooking up to the software each time I wanted a different mode.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #556 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I guess the thing most will be doing as reassigning the switch the controls the current banks/SL to another switch and using your current bail out switch as the GPS mode selector/bail out?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #557 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
=] yes, 2 gps modes on a 3 way switch, I only used a 2 way which meant hooking up to the software each time I wanted a different mode.
Thanks Georgi. I guess its easy enough to use the field terminal to change the selection assigned to the switch if you wanted to. It appears that no more than two bail out choices would really be needed at a time anyway. More than that, and it would be difficult to remember what switch did what in a panic
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #558 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I'm doing:

1 - Off
2 - Hard Deck
3 - Return to Home.

What I really want: (When using a two position switch mixing with a three position switch)

1-1 Off (Manual)
1-2 Altitude Only Hold
1-3 All Positions Hold

2-1 Rescue Now
2-2 Return to Home
2-3 Hard Deck

With this hypothetically future functionality, one could switch from Off to Rescue Now with the two-position switch (as one does now to self-level), while having almost all other modes available on the TX.

TX values on the 3-position switch would be 100, 80, 60, which when mixed with the 2-position switch at -50% would give 50, 40, 30.

So in all 100, 80, 60, 50, 40, 30. Each assignable to a GPS mode.

Once Art gets back from his long-deserved post-GPS development-induced-trauma holiday (I'm assuming he's taking one) I suppose he may be gently convinced to include this in a future version of the SK-Setup software...

Art?
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #559 (permalink)

=] ideally I would want =

1, GPS option one.
2, manual.
3, GPS option two.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #560 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
=] ideally I would want =

1, GPS option one.
2, manual.
3, GPS option two.
It does seem like this would make more sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in