Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JookSing View Post
I bought 2 sets (6) of these Solar D654's to use on the cyclics on my 4503D and 300X when the time comes for replacement. They have decent reviews and the price was right for my budget.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d654.html

Since the 300X and 4503D uses the same stock servos, thought I'd post this link to the 4503D thread in regards to metal gear servo replacements:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=430052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixfisto View Post
Thanks!
Have you used the Solar's yet?
I was using the D650 Solar servos on my cyclics on my EXI 450. They've been through a few crashes, a couple pretty bad ones, and they are still going strong. I've taken them off the EXI and will now be using them on my new Tarot 450 FBL. No flights yet so I'll find out how good they work with this new setup.
kbohip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Solars look very tempting!!!
Radio: Spektrum DX8 Gen 1
SHYguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
Don't forget that the 65MG is an analog servo, so you will need to make sure the AR7200BX is set to 50Hz for cyclic servos if you decide to use them.
Ah, that's right! I was thinking of the HS5056MGs for some reason. I updated my earlier post to reflect that they're analog. Thx.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Guys... before going nuts on the Solars, please see my post above!!!

The Solar servo WILL NOT FIT in the front slot without cutting out part of the frame!!!

I'm not saying don't get these, just saying don't expect them to just fit without modding frame...
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

The Solar servo WILL NOT FIT in the front slot without cutting out part of the frame!!!

I'm not saying don't get these, just saying don't expect them to just fit without modding frame...
In the spirit of having good information out there, you may want to consider removing them from the list on your OP or perhaps make a note next to them that the frame needs to be modded for that particular servo.

Just a thought.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post
In the spirit of having good information out there, you may want to consider removing them from the list on your OP or perhaps make a note next to them that the frame needs to be modded for that particular servo.

Just a thought.
good call, will do!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

...sorry guys for even mentioning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post

Just a thought.
Great idea! Perhaps you can even in your original post indicate next to each one which are direct drop in replacements without any modifications to the frame or servos.

Last edited by JookSing; 08-10-2012 at 01:09 PM..
JookSing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Great idea! Perhaps you can even in your original post indicate next to each one which are direct drop in replacements without any modifications to the frame or servos.
Will do so as people try different servos and report on their findings.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Setting up cyclic servos

Chaps

I've never set up a FBL heli before - only FB'd.

If I wanted to try out my Henge MD922 on the cyclics, is it imperative that I use the exact same ball distance on the arms in order to get 6 degrees, blue at step J?

The arms have different hole positions on the Henge.

Thanks in advance
Steve
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaker View Post
Chaps

I've never set up a FBL heli before - only FB'd.

If I wanted to try out my Henge MD922 on the cyclics, is it imperative that I use the exact same ball distance on the arms in order to get 6 degrees, blue at step J?

The arms have different hole positions on the Henge.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Yes and no---

If the new servos have the same rotation as the stock servos (e.g. both move 60 degrees for 100% endpoint), then yes you would choose the same hole location.

However if the new servos move 70 degrees (for example), then you would want to move the hole in closer to the center, and if they moved less (50 degrees), then move the hole out. Basically you want the same servo resolution.

I wouldn't go too extreme on this, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I believe, for example, that Hitec servos do have a smaller angular range than Align/Savox. No idea about these stock servos tho'.

On a practical matter, just put the link in a hole close to where the stock hole is, and see if you hit 6 degrees while in the blue. Obviously there is some degree of fuzzyness here-the blue light isn't on only for an infinitesimal range.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK that's great.
Like you say, I'll just choose the closest hole and do the setup and see what I get.

Thanks
Steve
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Report on the Solars:

First off, as I have mentioned earlier, you will need to cut a tiny bit of the frame to make the front servo fit. As I have stiffened my frame, it seems that this has not affected the movement of the main shaft, etc. and so far, so good. You will also need to cut off the unused outer part of the servo horn to have clearance from the motor. Also, as the top gear where the horn fits is a little bigger than stock, the link has a slight angle to it. I was a little concerned with this, but didn't see a difference in flight.

The rear servos are a tight fit, but actually I think they are a better fit than the stocks, as they fill up the square hole nicely. The servo casings are thicker and studier than stock as well (which is a bonus considering the frame was designed to have the rear servos serve as part of the frame strength).

One more note: I had read this in the 450x forum, but the little motors in these can 'slip' downward and disengage from the first gear. I went ahead and opened each servo, put a tiny bit of foam under each motor (making sure it was tight, but not too tight). In total this took about 5 mins.

I flew 6 packs yesterday and had no problems. In fact, They might feel slightly more solid than stock. I had one crash that would have def stripped at least one servo, the Solars were fine! There was also no rubbing of the front link (probably meaning that my stiffened frame was not affected by the plastic I had cut out).

My diagnosis is:
If you have a stiffened frame and don't mind doing a bit of cutting, futzing, etc...these servos are a great, cheap alternative to the stockers! I actually feel more confident in the air with these. Even turning them by hand feels 'better' than the stockers.

Time will tell how sturdy they are, but after one day out, I really like them...great bang for the buck!

On a different note, I think I actually like the stock tail servo (knock on wood). But am still looking for a good 'bang-for-buck' replacement.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Report on the Solars:

First off, as I have mentioned earlier, you will need to cut a tiny bit of the frame to make the front servo fit. As I have stiffened my frame, it seems that this has not affected the movement of the main shaft, etc. and so far, so good. You will also need to cut off the unused outer part of the servo horn to have clearance from the motor. Also, as the top gear where the horn fits is a little bigger than stock, the link has a slight angle to it. I was a little concerned with this, but didn't see a difference in flight.

The rear servos are a tight fit, but actually I think they are a better fit than the stocks, as they fill up the square hole nicely. The servo casings are thicker and studier than stock as well (which is a bonus considering the frame was designed to have the rear servos serve as part of the frame strength).

One more note: I had read this in the 450x forum, but the little motors in these can 'slip' downward and disengage from the first gear. I went ahead and opened each servo, put a tiny bit of foam under each motor (making sure it was tight, but not too tight). In total this took about 5 mins.

I flew 6 packs yesterday and had no problems. In fact, They might feel slightly more solid than stock. I had one crash that would have def stripped at least one servo, the Solars were fine! There was also no rubbing of the front link (probably meaning that my stiffened frame was not affected by the plastic I had cut out).

My diagnosis is:
If you have a stiffened frame and don't mind doing a bit of cutting, futzing, etc...these servos are a great, cheap alternative to the stockers! I actually feel more confident in the air with these. Even turning them by hand feels 'better' than the stockers.

Time will tell how sturdy they are, but after one day out, I really like them...great bang for the buck!

On a different note, I think I actually like the stock tail servo (knock on wood). But am still looking for a good 'bang-for-buck' replacement.
Thanks for the update on the Solars...is it possible for you to post some pics of them installed, especially where you had to cut the frame to fit the front servo?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the update on the Solars...is it possible for you to post some pics of them installed, especially where you had to cut the frame to fit the front servo?
Hey Jook,
Here are a couple pics of the front servo/frame cut out. The second pic is with Dylan's frame brace.

Note: the first pic shows a messy frame, mostly because I had cracked it from an earlier crash and had hot glued it. I had to remove most of it to fit the new frame brace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front servo cut.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	339741   Click image for larger version

Name:	front servo w:brace.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	339742  
Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great...thanks for the pics!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmmmm... I'm kinda wondering if maybe it's just best to leave the stockers on and live with all those gear changes... (or don't crash )

The power to weight ratio for the 300X and 450X I think is what make them so great to fly... cannot see any servos out there with a comparable spec that can compete with the E-Flite servos weight wise...

How about in stead making some kind of a servo saver? I've seen Align servo horns that are designed to break easily, in order to save the servos/gears. Anything that might fit these E-Flite servos out there? (weak plastic)

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/spe...0m-p-7382.html
Radio: Spektrum DX8 Gen 1
SHYguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default alternative cyclic servos

Hi I just killed all my stock cyclic servos after a crash. Question is what are good alternatives that fit without mods and that I won't have to adjust the beast unit before I use them. Basically I just want to put them in connect them up and go. Can't get any stock servos here in england no one has them in stock.
helicol1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any thing other than stock will require you to possibly change the servo frequency and any new servo, stock or otherwise will require you to re-center it via menu G
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default gear change

Hi shrededpaper, thanks for the reply. If I change the gears in my old servos, will I have to re center them? I guess I am a bit nervous of messing with beast unit!
Colin.
helicol1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default replacement servos for 300

Spektrum DSP35 fits very nicely, but I don't know the frquency of it.
LocoMartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in