Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Airtronics Radios

Airtronics Radios Airtronics Radios Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Paint coming off...

Guys...Anyone else with this problem? I have my radio for about... 3~4 years and a few time ago... well, pic's will say "everything". I couldn't speak with my dealer here in Brazil, is there any way to spek to the Airtronics team or such? I bought this radio from a Airtronics Dealer and... well... I expected more for a high-end radio... I love the radio, the "grip" but this really bugs me...

Any ideas?
rafakrav is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is really bad for a radio in that price range. I also have one, and have one tiny spot that looks like the plating is failing.

The problem is made in China for real cheap, then sell at a huge profit. The Chinese have trouble with quality.
slickporsche is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 25 year old Futaba(2), and a JR 388, which is nearly as old, and no problems like that at all. If it were me, the pics would be sent to Sanwa, if you can even find them. They seem to be like a ghost.

My response would be to the effect of this being an expensive radio, and this should not happen, and use other brands as an example. Even other Airtronics/Sanwa . They should also be told that people that see it are turned away from the brand, and it will be the last you buy from that brand.
slickporsche is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I love the radio, the ergonomics and the way to setup my models, everything about the radio except by this boring paint problem.

I have a cheap Dx6i before this guy and it still looks brand-new. And this can't be good for a high-end, way more expensive airtronics radio.

Let's say that... I'm always in meetings and such and i'm always with this radio. I believe its not a good "propaganda" for Airtronics, don't you guys think the same?

And i'm not gonna stop using the radio for its look. Someone always ask me about the paint and well, I just tell the truth and show my other radio... I'm a very careful person and they can see it by the look of the Dx6i... Once again, bad thing for Airtronics.

Anyway... I'm trying to speak with someone from Sanwa/Airtronics but nothing yet... I have a friend with similar problems, but on the "inicial stage" on his SD10G.

If someone knows anyone who works in Sanwa/Airtronics and could show it for them... I would be apreciated
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Others have had the same problem with the paint finish coming off: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=246598.

I would email the pictures to service@airtronics.net. Your radio is out of warranty being that it's 4 years old, but maybe they can still do something for you since you are not the first with this kind of problem. Perhaps you should also include in the email the links to this thread and to the thread I mentioned above.
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welll lets see their response. I've send the email
Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a certain reaction that has occurred with specific skin types/oil grease. I'm not in the loop as far as what can be done. This is way above my limited scope of influence. I will certainly ask.

TM
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Terry

This is exactly what my radio is doing. I tried to contact Mike with no luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Airtronics answered me and they are sending a new case soon. Lets see if it's hard to disassemble the radio
Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafakrav View Post
Airtronics answered me and they are sending a new case soon. Lets see if it's hard to disassemble the radio
Its not.
Switching it over will be a walk in the park. Ive heard of peoples finish rubbing off in certain spots from constant use but never seen one like that.
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, i'll see soon, lol. I believe that a heli build is worse... at least I hope so
Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just keep track of your screws and wires and youll be just fine. I actually need to tear into mine to replace some switches soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcincy View Post
Just keep track of your screws and wires and youll be just fine. I actually need to tear into mine to replace some switches soon.
You drop that TX again Dan, and Meli will permanently attach a neckstrap to you!

A Main Hobbies/ProTekRC Field Rep
Spartan RC Field Rep
Todd Moriarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LOL
This thing is built like a tank, it can take it.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The case can, but those poor switches

A Main Hobbies/ProTekRC Field Rep
Spartan RC Field Rep
Todd Moriarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4rg0 View Post
The case can, but those poor switches
Well.....
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can replace the switches later... But they are not "that" thing.. What "bugs" me its the case, it looks terrible, lol
Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Same problem still.

I had, have the same issue. I returned mine for an update and a case replacement they must have changed something in the case my radio was one of the first ones I believe.

When it came back from repair the seams were not as tight, there was plastic In between the LCD. I opened it to see why the larger gap and I could see where someone cut it to fit but they did not cut enough on either side. There was plastic shavings in the bottom of the case.

When I posted about the finish rubbing off it was like I was out of my mind. No reports of this!
It's been long enough I can't find the thread.

The best thing is its doing it again. I still like the radio but not a fan of the finish my next radio will be a different finish or brand.

The hard thing about it is pride of ownership. I don't like owning substandard equipment. It's like a high performance vehicle with a spray can paint job. Still runs good looks like poo.
Rustynail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

"The hard thing about it is pride of ownership. I don't like owning substandard equipment. It's like a high performance vehicle with a spray can paint job. Still runs good looks like poo."

I feel the same thing... The radio is perfect... except for the finish.

Lets see if Airtronics is coming with something new... maybe a 14ch with telemetry?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynail View Post
I had, have the same issue. I returned mine for an update and a case replacement they must have changed something in the case my radio was one of the first ones I believe.

When it came back from repair the seams were not as tight, there was plastic In between the LCD. I opened it to see why the larger gap and I could see where someone cut it to fit but they did not cut enough on either side. There was plastic shavings in the bottom of the case.

When I posted about the finish rubbing off it was like I was out of my mind. No reports of this!
It's been long enough I can't find the thread.

The best thing is its doing it again. I still like the radio but not a fan of the finish my next radio will be a different finish or brand.

The hard thing about it is pride of ownership. I don't like owning substandard equipment. It's like a high performance vehicle with a spray can paint job. Still runs good looks like poo.
I linked the thread that you started a while back on this problem in a previous post of mine in this thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...30&postcount=5

I hear you on the pride of ownership... Many proudly own a USB cable that allows them to update the firmware on their SD-10G, yet no firmware has ever been released.
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in