Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-Rex 500e flybar to fbl

I plan in the near future to upgrade my T-Rex 500e flybarred heli to flybarless.

I've identified the appropriate Align fbl main rotor housing, main rotor holders, washout control arms, and longer linkages that I need to replace the flybarred bits, but I have a couple of questions:-

Can I reuse my existing feathering shaft, dampers, and bearings in the fbl gear, subject to condition of course?
Can I use my existing main shaft, which has a grub-screwed collet instead of a welded-on ring?
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just recently converted my Align 500esp with an after market flybarless head.......however I know with mine I can use the same feathering shaft, main shaft, and blade grip bearings if that helps ? I assume you've decided what flybarless unit your going to buy I did try the Align 3gx v4 which you can pick up new for around £50 or the spektrum ar7200bx which I've settled on but costs three times more ?
I did find my Align 510 cyclic had to be replaced as they were getting old and didn't seem to like being used on a flybarless unit.
aburn09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks aburn09.

I'm guessing with Align the shaft etc. are the same for flybar or fbl, for my vendor doesn't list them with the fbl head items; I have to go to his regular flybarred 500e page to find feathering shaft, bearings, dampers etc. I suppose at the worst I'll not order them, try the ones I've got at the moment, and if they don't fit I'll just have to find and buy fbl-specific items.

As for controller, I'll not be using 3Gx. I didn't get on with the one that came with my 550, so I swapped it for a MicroBeast and sold it. I'm very happy with the MicroBeast, but asking around, I know it's now perhaps old technology, so I'll be looking at Mini Vbar or one of the other newer ones. One thing I value is the ability to lift off and land slowly, which people keep telling me confuses many fbl units, though I've never had any problem with my MicroBeast.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the Align DFC flybarless head requires a smaller height shaft although I think it's the blade links that determine what shaft you may need......admittedly I did shave a little off the thread both ends to get the right pitch as they seemed too long for what I needed ?
My 500 is in an Airwolf fuselage I haven't had time to field tested it yet but hovering in the back garden it seems ok for slow take off and landing using the spektrum ar7200bx flybarless
aburn09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburn09 View Post
I think the Align DFC flybarless head requires a smaller height shaft although I think it's the blade links that determine what shaft you may need......admittedly I did shave a little off the thread both ends to get the right pitch as they seemed too long for what I needed ?
My 500 is in an Airwolf fuselage I haven't had time to field tested it yet but hovering in the back garden it seems ok for slow take off and landing using the spektrum ar7200bx flybarless
There is a DFC-specific shaft. There's an EFL (std. flybarless) specific shaft.

The DFC shaft is shorter and has a permanently attached "collar" (EFL shaft collar is removable with grub screw).
rob78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. I don't want DFC, just the regular flybarless, so it looks like my current main shaft is fine. I'll just have to make sure I get appropriately sized links -- maybe I'll get some of those new turnbuckle ones to make adjustment easier.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenn View Post
Thanks guys. I don't want DFC, just the regular flybarless, so it looks like my current main shaft is fine. I'll just have to make sure I get appropriately sized links -- maybe I'll get some of those new turnbuckle ones to make adjustment easier.
The EFL shaft is only slightly shorter than the FB'd mainshaft (within several mm).

You're going to have to program the FBL controller for pitch curves/zero pitch anyway so it's no big deal.

BUT, if you're like me and flying a Compass tracx head that works on both the FB'd and FBL shafts, you'll have to make some changes to pitch curves to compensate for slightly shorter shaft.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
There is a DFC-specific shaft. There's an EFL (std. flybarless) specific shaft.

The DFC shaft is shorter and has a permanently attached "collar" (EFL shaft collar is removable with grub screw).
You are correct about the two specific shafts for DFC and EFL.
However, the EFL shaft has the same type of "permanent collar" as the DFC shaft. The only difference is the length of the shaft above the collar. The DFC shaft is shorter than the EFL shaft.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I upgraded my 500e to FBL in the fall of 2012, I did use the newer fixed color shaft and shimming which is required with this shaft, but I believe you can get away with the original shaft since the lock collar would eliminate the need for the shim. I still have the original shafts I could use, but since going with the BD3SX FBL unit I haven't crashed needing a new main shaft.
The feather shaft is the same, yes the pitch links need to be longer. I like the belt tail and want to keep that.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR450ZS View Post
You are correct about the two specific shafts for DFC and EFL.
However, the EFL shaft has the same type of "permanent collar" as the DFC shaft. The only difference is the length of the shaft above the collar. The DFC shaft is shorter than the EFL shaft.
I just ordered two new efl shafts that don't have fixed collars. I'm getting ready to install one in about an hour.

In align fashion, it's possible there are two versions of efl shafts. The fixed collar version wouldn't work for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just ordered two new efl shafts that don't have fixed collars. I'm getting ready to install one in about an hour.

In align fashion, it's possible there are two versions of efl shafts. The fixed collar version wouldn't work for me.
I hope you ordered the shims, you'll need one or two.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

That is interesting. My 500 is an original EFL PRO and used part # H50156T as the main shaft. The shims are sold separately. But obviously with the locking collar you will not need shims.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenn View Post

for the EFL head you need 50130 - 500 FLYBARLESS LINKAGE ROD SET (A)

Last edited by Windmanquebec; 06-18-2014 at 02:04 AM..
Windmanquebec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all those replies, some real good info there. Wouldn't it be nice if Align would show the part numbers in their manuals, so we can find them quicker on the vendors' web sites?

I haven't needed a new main shaft in all the time I've owned my heli, so I've got a couple spare, which I bought because everyone told me I would need one sometime So I'll go with the original shaft for the time-being.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in