Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah - I'd definitely step down from the 1 watt. Going 17+ miles on half watt I've learned that there's really no need for more power than that. If you need more range just go w/ more gain on the ground. I'm looking forward to your progress though.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Liam, You've inspired me too into doing this. So, I have a Trex 450 sport v1 kit that I bought early 2010 that has been stored ever since. It's time I put it to use so decided to build it and do fpv.

I have some questions please

1. What motor do you have and do you still recommend it (I want 4s like you)? 13t pinion?
2. What ESC do you use?
3. Do you still recommend SpinBlades Asymmetrical Rotor Blades? What size?
4. What brand flight lipo do you use and specs?
5. Beastx or should I wait for the Spartan?
6. RJX FBL head - still good or other?

Thanks mate

Last edited by hga77; 03-20-2012 at 02:49 PM..
hga77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll reply in full later but deffiney wait for Spartan, I know Angelos personally and have watched the progress of the flybarless. The mans a genius.
Regards Liam
l14m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hga77 View Post
Hey Liam, You've inspired me too into doing this. So, I have a Trex 450 sport v1 kit that I bought early 2010 that has been stored ever since. It's time I put it to use so decided to build it and do fpv.

I have some questions please

1. What motor do you have and do you still recommend it (I want 4s like you)? 13t pinion?
2. What ESC do you use?
3. Do you still recommend SpinBlades Asymmetrical Rotor Blades? What size?
4. What brand flight lipo do you use and specs?
5. Beastx or should I wait for the Spartan?
6. RJX FBL head - still good or other?

Thanks mate
I'm also interested in these answers.. Your heli looks amazing and you seem like you know what you're doing! I'm also debating on upgrading to 4s on my 450 pro V2. Why when upgrading to 4s do you want a lower kv motor and lower pinion?
Also, are you happy with your eagle tree OSD? If you had to purchase an OSD again, would you choose eagle tree or another?
aForcefulThrust is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

For running on 4s
Scorpion HK 11-2221-12 with 13 tooth although u could run it with a 12 tooth and increase flight times even more.
Esc is a Scorpion 45 amp
Spin blades are great but are costly
Wait for the Spartan it will be the best on the market.
RJX fbl head is great
Regards Liam
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost finished putting together my mark 2 ground station flight case. I've reduced the size of the case to slightly bigger than an A4 piece of paper. It has a Sata 2.5" hdd dvr and a 4 way video / audio splitter with amp to take the incoming signal to the monitor (9") ,dvr and a separate out put for goggles. There's a small LCD for voltage information. Just a couple more bits to do and she's finished.

Regards Liam
Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great job!

That's what i'm looking for too. Can you put a list of the parts you used? The TV seemed to display a no signal screen. Btw your spin blades are they 320mm or 350mm?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers, the tv is set to av mode which means when the dvr isn't on I get the no signal.
List of parts:

1. 9" monitor
2. LCD watt meter
3. Sata 2.5" hdd dvr
4. 4 way audio/ video splitter with built in amp
5. Inline fuse (from lipo to main power switch)
6. Main power switch (vandle proof)
7. 4 X RCA connectors
8. RCA to jacks ( custom made to shorten lengths )
9. Carbon fibre vinyl
10. Maplins small flight case

Oh and the Spinblades are 320's

Regards Liam
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!

I ordered the 350mm for a flybared 450 im working on. Did you consider going with the slightly larger 350mm or are the 325's more suited for your flying? On helicalc, for a 4s system running a scorpion -12, shows more flight time with a 700mm diameter (ie. 350mm blades).
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've got that same monitor - I remem asking you about it over a year ago - sweet!!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you like the monitor Sentry.
Ref the Spinblades size, the only reason I went with 325 blades was simply the digging around to find parts to stretch her.
Liam
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you say stretch her you mean extend the tail boom? I actualy realised that i might need to do this after i ordered them.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeh from what I can gather, to use the 350 blades you need to extend the boom in order for them to miss the tail blades.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a very cheap way to stretch your 450. Don't forget to order the longer tail linkage rod too. Fits 360mm blades and probably 380mm if I could find them anywhere.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=7076

Love your ground station! I hope to be where you are one day, this thread is allot of my inspiration

EDIT:

How are you liking your 4s setup? I just ordered an ice 50 (Now i think i should have got the lite, but oh well haha) and now I'm considering upgrading to 4s or 6s next. My main concern is longer flight times, not really 3d. Why did you decide on 4s over 6s? Do you think there would be an advantage to 6s?

Last edited by aForcefulThrust; 04-26-2012 at 12:30 AM..
aForcefulThrust is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aForcefulThrust View Post
This is a very cheap way to stretch your 450. Don't forget to order the longer tail linkage rod too. Fits 360mm blades and probably 380mm if I could find them anywhere.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=7076

Love your ground station! I hope to be where you are one day, this thread is allot of my inspiration

EDIT:

How are you liking your 4s setup? I just ordered an ice 50 (Now i think i should have got the lite, but oh well haha) and now I'm considering upgrading to 4s or 6s next. My main concern is longer flight times, not really 3d. Why did you decide on 4s over 6s? Do you think there would be an advantage to 6s?
Main reason for turning to 4s was longer flight times. I was only getting around 5 mins on 3s but with the 4s and the Spinblades I'm now getting a good ten mins and if I dial the head speed down a touch I should quite easily start getting 15 mins as long as I keep slow forward speed.
Weather in the UK is shocking at the moment, wettest drought ever lol. Hopefully it will pick up soon and I can post some more vids.
Liam
Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol yeah wettest drought ever! Are we allowed to use our hosepipes now? This government is full of muppets
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still crap weather here in the UK so made some more changes to my gs. I've nOw changed Crome 3d cf vinyl to 2d gloss vinyl and added a proper USB port for linking my dvr to my laptop and also added a 2.5 dc jack for gs charging and a 4 pin din socket for balancing lipo.

Hopefully I will get some flying in if the weather pics up then I wont need to tinker anymore lol.
Liam
Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by l14m View Post
In all fairness the heli is running 500 mw 1.2 at the moment but I'm waiting for funds to swap the osd from Eagletree to ez so as to run the tracking on it. It's my wing that's running 1000mw and has the audio drift problem. I'm going to swap them over tomorrow and test to see if it works better and if the results are better then I will buy another 500 mw lawmate vtx.
Sanders has replied to a 1.3ghz thread over on fpvlab with some soon to be work arounds hopefully or even better he will hopefully add 1.2 to the immersion range.
Cheers Liam
Hi Liam,

Really interesting thread this.

Could you tell me why you prefer EZ over Eagle Tree as I thought ET can doing tracking as well. I was thinking of getting an ET set up but love to get your feedback in the pros and xonsvod each.

Cheers
Roderz
roderz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't really fault Eagletree although there is a lot of setting up to play around with. I like the osd display as you can have it as simple or filled (on screen) as you like but the one thing IMO that I prefer Ezosd over Eagletree is the simplicity to set up and there are very few firmware updates as it works straight out of the box. That said the antenna tracking set up is quite similar on both and I haven't yet had time to get it running on ezantenna tracking. This is due to it not liking the audio sub carriers on Lawmate vtx's, I have just received a new sunsky 800 mw vtx to test out so after the tests I will report back.
Liam
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all I've been away from the FPV seen for several months now but have just purchased a gopro 3 and I'm keen to see how others have attached them to 450 size helis. Any links or suggestions will be welcomed.
Cheers in advance Liam

Tags
trex 450 fpv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in