Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Gas

MA Gas Miniature Aircraft Gas Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Installing the MA Air Filter

When installing the Miniature Aircraft #125-120 (-120,-122, -124), make sure that the bolts that mount the assemblies are not too long.

The stock Zenoah supplied bolts may need to be trimmed off a bit to be able to be tightened down fully without an air leak occurring. These bolts pass through the filter back plate, the carb, the primer bulb heat shield and into the insulator mounting block.

The reason is that the stock filter box is much thicker than the base plate for the Miniature Aircraft air filter. I had mounted my filter unit without giving any thought about having to shorten the bolts. Several pilots have indicated a possible problem with surging at idle and operational problems as well. If these bolts are too long, they will bottom out against the motor lugs and push the carb and plate off of the insulator. This will lead to an air leak causing surging and poor motor operation.

Later,

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
bigrcr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was just checking the seal around where the insulator mounting block connects to the engine. I was noticing some oil residue under the insulator. Sure enough the screw where pushing the insulator off of the engine. Thanks for the heads up. I love this forum
Dash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm guess its time for me to put another pair of washers under the bolts

That surging at idle sound terrible familiar
Old 04-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oops, did put 2 washers under the filter, but I just took a look at the stock plastic air cleaner and realized that 2 washers wont be enough.

Tried it today, runs ok at start of the flight, but after a while (when the engine gets up to its work temp) it starts to surge at idle.

More washers, will let you know how this ends.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

If you have a Dremmel with a cut off wheel you can mark the bolts then cut them off shorter and dress up the ends. This what I did to mine (I forgot to tell folks about it though ).

Later,

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
Old 04-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well I cut the bolts and added an extra washer. Started it up and am getting the surging at idle once the engine has warmed up I just want to clarify that the problem occurs if the bolts protrude out past the back of the insulator and start pushing against where the insulater mates to the engine? I don't think my screws are hitting anymore. I hope I didn't tighten the screws to much and possibly cracked the insulator. Would this cause surging at idle?
Dash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

What pushes the carb out from the motor is the bolts hitting the ears on the intake flange of the cylinder. If the bolts are short enough so they are back within the insulator, this cannot happen. If the bolts in the insulator or mounting the carb are too tight, then the insulator can crack and this will cause surging as well.

Later,

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

2more washers will give a try tomorrow, if it still surging tomorrow IŽll borrow a insulator plate from my friends TRM. :?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Another thing... if you still have a surge and still think it's to do with the isolator, check that the isolator isn't warped...check it with a straight edge and or lightly sand it with some 220 grit on a piece of glass, wife's favorite mirror works well for this, lol.

Cheers
Freakinflyin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just installed my air filter and measured the bolts ,they are app. thousand's too long. They can be cut off 2mm to 2.5mm and will definitely clear. I was using Vario air filters and velocity stacks on my Graphite gasser and frond out about the bottoming of the bolts and warping the insulator. I you have the carb go ahead and remove the insulator and as mentioned before sand it on a frat surface to make sure it is true, don't over tighten the bolts. Thanks John for the reminder.
ddavison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spell check did not work to good.
ddavison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 08:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm maybe mine is warped as well :?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as the insulator is not cracked, you can use the Zenoah(Walbro) gaskets between sections. I have even used a bit of FormAgasket in the past on the gaskets. Just a thought :wink:

Later,

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
Old 04-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did remove the insulatorplate and sanded it on a flat surface, before sanding it felt like I could wiggle it slighty when having it on a flat desk, and after the sanding it feels more stable.
No cracks or anything so I guess it sucked air there once the engine got heated up.

Will try it tomorrow, thanks for all the good ideas! :cool:
Old 07-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

is there any reason why my air cleaner rotates while i am flying around...lol...the bolts are all tight and the filter element seams tight..but it turn slightly in between the to carbon plates?

AKA( Wild Man )
r/c_outlaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

rc outlaw mine is spinning too, anyone got a fix for this? or does it matter? it looks sorta cool!
bevoduz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 05:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can add a small bead or drop of Zap Goo, Shoe Goo, silicone, etc. to the element against the carbon. You can also take a wee bit off of each stand off inside of the filter if you wish.

I would think that if the filter element is spinning, it is not sealing as good as it could. Does this matter, probably not a bunch... :wink:

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
Old 02-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have just installed my airfilter and it fits fine. I belive MA have reconized this and added a thicker spacer to the kit.

Cheers Jeff
rchelinut01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in