Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How much controller do I need and a few other??

So I have an Ares Optim 80cp and eventually want a larger bird. First I need a good transmitter that will let me practice with a sim. But how many channels do I really need? Other than a camera, bubble machine and little gadgets like that why would I want more than 6 channels?
I want to be able to fly planes and helis with the same controller without having to swap a receiver around. I would love to keep cost under $200 but could do a little more if it justified.
What about range? What can I expect there in the lower cost range vs spending some $$$?
Can I get stability control from a transmitter or is that a whole different critter?
Not related to my controller questions there are a few acronyms I am not sure about. Am I correct to assume fbl refers to flybarless? Actually I guess that is the only one I can think of it haven't figured out yet. I learned what Electronic Speed Control was on the last thread I read.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin
ckrobin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try here for some info http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Take a good look at a Spectrum DX6 Collin. It will fly about anything electric that you can hang a Spectrum transmitter on. Any of the Horizon hobbies/ Blade bind and fly helicopters.

Should you want a scale helicopter with retracts or a nitro helicopter with a governor you will need another channel. In this case a DX7 or 8 may be better for you.

You can use what ever brand you like but I'd suggest Futaba, JR or *Spectrum* as they are well known. I also fly an Aurora 9 touch screen transmitter. It's a little more money but it's very nice. I don't have the Spectrum module for it so I cannot speak to that. But it's a very nice transmitter for anything 450 size and up you can hang an optima 7 receiver on.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DX6

Hope this helps you.
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default How much controller do I need and a few other??

Awesome link too cool. It has already answered many questions and I am sure it will answer many more over the next few days as I get a chance to read over it all.
Thanks to Ron as well I'll check that link out when I get a chance. Your post cleared things up a hair too.
At this point I am leaning towards the DX8. Just to have room to grow.

Thanks again,
Colin
Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally I like the Taranis, it's a somewhat complex radio, but with that comes insane configurability. It also can fit modules in the back, to fly with planes/helis that have inbuilt receivers that can't be changed. (I use mine to fly a v911, HCP100S and a 450L).
CoolBear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get away with a 6 channel radio, but I would suggest at least 7. A lot of newer FBL (flybarless) controllers have banks that need that extra channel to switch between them. A lot of people start with an inexpensive 6 channel to figure out what they like and then switch to something else. The main issue with that is that you need to switch receivers as well as the radio and the more models you have, that can get expensive pretty fast.

I also like the Taranis and there is a ton of support online, but you may not be able to get local help at your field unless there is a FPV (First person view) quad racing group. The value and features for the price is unbeatable.

To answer a couple of your other questions.
1 - There is a good glossary on HF. https://www.helifreak.com/faq.php?fa...faq_hfglossary
2 - Stabilization and self level are on the heli in the flight controller.
3 - In The Finless Bob Helifreak forum, there is a really good basic skill sticky that can help you a lot.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Would I be able to get a module to fly my Optima with a Taranis? The x9d sure seems reasonably priced.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want a highly customizable radio that requires a lot of programming, the Taranis is a good buy. If you want a radio that has plenty of features that is easy to program, go with the Spektrum. If you get a Taranis solely because you like the price, you will likely be very disappointed and might end up buying another radio. If you purchase the Spektrum because you think you can customize it 1,000 different ways, you might end up buying a Taranis in the end. Pretty simple... if you like researching and programming and want an extremely customizable radio for a great price, go with the Taranis. If you really just want to fly and desire a radio that can handle everything you really need, go with the Spektrum.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know the answer to the Optima question. You may want to post that on the Open-TX forum. I've never heard of one, but that does not mean that it doesn't exist.

And I partially agree with CrashJack. Taranis is very configurable and can do more than you'll ever need for a heli. If you're a tinkerer or a programmer it will be great. It's also a great price point. You can however download other's models and just modify those which can get you up and running very quickly. If you have trouble, ArchmageAU has been helping people modify their configurations and working through issues with them. If you just want to fly, buy what other's in your club fly. They can help you out. Most likely Spektrum or Futaba will be what you find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in