Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hobbypartz LED sale

I am working on getting stuff together for a night rig. I noticed Hobbypartz has a really good sale on LED's. Anyone have them, how is the quality? It is going to be a removable night rig, something that I can put on and take off quick, think it would stand up to the wear of taking on and off? I was going to go with a 2s lipo also, is 800mah good for say 4, 7 minute flights?
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The size of the lipo depends on how many LEDs you end up with. The LED strips are configured with sets of three LEDs in series. Given that each set is going to pull probably 15mA on 2S, an 800mA pack discharged to 20% would give you 30 minutes of lighting with 256 LEDs (((640mAh / 0.5h) / 15mA) x 3). That's a lot of LEDs, so you're probably safe.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I was thinking, 120 (2m) to wrap up and down the tail boom and fin, and 60 (1m) to put on a canopy. So that should be able to do 4 flights fine. I would go 3s and put a brushed esc on there so I could get it at the exact brightness I wanted but I figure that is more stuff to deal with, I just want a easy to put on and get off setup nothing fancy.

Still would like to know if anyone has anything to say about the quality? Also what do you think is a cool light combo? I was going to go with yellow on the tail boom, green on the canopy.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

At 3S, these leds are very bright. I think they will overwhelm the cool light. But if you tone it down like you said. You can get it to balance with the cool light. at 2S these leds are fairly dim (to my eyes). They are designed for 11V when they put 3 in series with a resistor.
As for 'wrap' around and take them off frequently. I am a little concerned with the solder joints with these strips. the led are soldered to the flexible pcb strip, if twisted and unwind repeatedly. I am concerned the joint may break.
I don't know how you are going to fix these strip to your heli. These strips have adhesive backing. The adhesive is quite good when fixing to a flat surface. But after you pull them off, the adhesive starts to loose their stickiness.
I am saying these based on the HK leds strip. Never have a Hobbypartz led strip in my hand. They look very much alike though. Even the Hk strips has different batches of strips that vary in their component. The older one I had has thicker PCB strip , stiffer and the new ones has thinner pcb strip and more flexible.

I would put these strip on 'something' and try to make 'something' is removable.
I think part of my set up can be considered removable.
The led on the skid is glued to a stick and the stick is attached to the skid with 2 self tapping screw which can be removed / put back on easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110322-6.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	262744   Click image for larger version

Name:	110313-10.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	262745  
kaos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

2S is plenty bright. For the canopy, I took one I crashed, patched it up, and stuck the LEDs to it. I'm actually running all my strips with 6S across sets of three strips in series, which effectively gives me 2S across each set. I have the same number of the same color LEDs in each set of series connected strips. The sets themselves are then connected in parallel, of course.

For the tail, I did the wrap thing with a dedicated fin, only I left the backing on the strips. I've converted and unconverted the heli several times and haven't seen any issues with the components on the strips. The only place the strip is anchored is at the front with a single zip tie; the spiral supports itself quite well. Since my tail strip is a single 3-strip series set, I have to run a wire the entire length of the boom to connect to the tail end of the strip; I run it under the strips to keep it against the boom. I had to use a small bullet connector in the wire to keep it from getting all twisted up during installation and removal. I connect it only after the lights have been anchored.

Make sure you put something on the struts. I initially omitted strut lighting and had problems determining exact attitude of the heli, particularly in the roll axis. I was able to build the strut lighting into a single assembly of strips and wires, again with the backing still on, which I can easily strap onto the heli and then remove even more easily.

I also have a landing light in the canopy that I switch using a Dimension Engineering PicoSwitch.

I used Deans Micros to connect everything up. I have a harness that connects to the balance lead on my flight pack and has three connectors on the other end: one for canopy, one for struts, and one for tail.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I was only going to use the adhesive backing for the canopy, which will be permanent. For the boom I was going to leave it on and zip tie it.

When I tried glow wire, I put 2 of those glow sticks on the skids, it worked fine. I was going to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in