Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default LED lights

A question for all you night flying guys. Im using a dx6i and ar6200 receiver. Can I just run a led light with a jst connector straight to my RX. Im assuming the RX is using 5 vdc and most leds are 12 vdc. Ive found some strip lights at walmart, hobby king and rclights.com. Im assuming that is the simplest setup. Seen many vids on this but they all use separate power sources or batteries to power the leds. I just want to make a straight connection from the RX to the LED and turn it on or off from my extra open channel on my RX.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The output of your RX is not a switch output, it is a pulse of varying width that controls the servo position so you can't use it to switch a LED without a controller of some sort, regardless of the voltage.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are thinking using these strip:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8942

these can operate at 11.1 or 7.4 (dimmer) but not at 5-6 Volt.
but you can hook this up directly to your 3S lipo. they are very bright at 11.1 v
and add a Rx controlled switch like this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8833

then you can control it with your extra channel or any channel.

You CAN use Rx power if you use light strips that operates at 5-6 Volt. the HK strip is 3 led in series and then parallel chained together. You can do your own soldering/wiring to make 5Volt operated led string. Just a little more work. You do need to figure out what the voltage should be used, or you may burn your leds. different color leds may run off different voltages.
kaos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Those were exactly what I was looking at. I dont think I want the strips though, just something for headlights. Maybe 2 single leds and that turnigy switch.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you just want to place a couple round leds on your heli, this will be much better:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6811

It is much lighter than the Rx controlled switch, and can operate right off the Rx power (takes 3-10 volt power source), it gives output of 3.5 volt. and has 3 output ch, it comes with a green, red and white flashing led. you can pull any one out of there if you don't want 3 led. one of the 3 ch is flashing ch, any led connected to it will flash. Take a look a the manual listed. Has a few different functions. and this can be daisy chained to add more switch controlled leds.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fantastic! Thank you that looks like a winner. Its funny how big these sites are because I searched Hobby king dozens of times and never saw that product. You got to wonder sometimes if they dont tag products with the right keywords. I just wish I could get the red and white, not big on green. Can you swap out the leds on those? I dig it though great find, thank you.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, you can swap out any led and put any led runs on 3.5 volt or so. those 3 leds are plugged into 3 ports. you use any way you want with those 3 ports. but with rx switch function, one of the port will be flashing.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome thanks again for the tip
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are welcome. The only thing I have not found out is what the max load for the switch in the kit. I strung 3 led to one port without burning out the switch. so the max load to each port and the total amperage supported by the switch is unknow to me. If you find out the piece of info some time. let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in