Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

View Poll Results: What is causing Lockout/Brownout?
Static in belt/boom only 10 34.48%
Rx/electronic placement only 1 3.45%
BEC/ESC noise or slight drop in BEC voltage only 5 17.24%
ESC not grounded to motor mount only 0 0%
2 of the above 4 13.79%
3 of the above 1 3.45%
All of the above 5 17.24%
None of the above 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Default True cause of Lockout/Brownout

Starting another poll to see what you think the source of these problems with lockouts are.

Please read all options before voting!

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may want to try a poll for what servos people are using too. I have heard that the 3400gs are lockout prone with spektrum rxs. An Align pilot had no issues when running 9257s, when he switched to 3400gs he started getting brown outs. I may not have been the servos but it sure looks suspect.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIM View Post
You may want to try a poll for what servos people are using too. I have heard that the 3400gs are lockout prone with spektrum rxs. An Align pilot had no issues when running 9257s, when he switched to 3400gs he started getting brown outs. I may not have been the servos but it sure looks suspect.
I can't see how it can be servo related, if it's servo current draw related, then it will fall under the BEC not supplying enough voltage under load.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

These observations were with the stock electronics and the jr servos are amp hogs compared to some others supposedly. So yes I guess it would fall under failing or low volt BEC.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm just wondering if all the lockouts happened to those helis using the internal BEC of the ESC or there were also cases that effecient external BECs were used?

Trex SE v2 -- HS65MG, GY401+9257, CC35, 430XL, GG, G Paddles, K&B Tail Blades
Trex 500 CF -- HS82MG, GY401+9257, stock ESC and motor, Align metal upgrades, K&B Tail Blades
heliboy88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

im just curious... if the problem does have to do with bec/esc noise, i wonder if a ferrite ring between the esc and receiver might help?
Prophet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I question is....Is it possible that running 4 digital servos plus gyro and receiver might be over taxing the 3amp internal BEC to the point where it shuts down or drops/reduces supplied power? Then if you add in a few rod ends/linkage balls that are possibly too tight, adding more resistance to a system that is already short on power. Not sure what else it could be, but I know that most people with the 450 size heli's are using stock setups usually didnt have any issues. Of course most are using Hitec hs65mg's which arent digital. If I remember correctly the 600 came with a 3 amp BEC but most ended up going to the updated 6 amp unit because of digital servos.

I personnally havent had any issues yet, But I sure have been reading a lot about them.

I hope this gets figured out soon, It does make me wonder when or if it will happen to me.
M Carr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm curious too.......are any of these brownouts occurring with an external BEC's and/or aftermarket ESC's?
foofighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK I voted 2 of the above! It has to be MORE than one issue or we would not be having these convo's and people would have resolved it by now if it was a single issue.

Based on ONLY user submissions here and that I CANT relate since I am not having an issue I think it is a noise problem AND a static ARC that is resetting the DX RX.

My .00002 cents.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Could you change the vote to a multiple choice vote, so we can check every option we think - not only "two of the above"?

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
OK I voted 2 of the above! It has to be MORE than one issue or we would not be having these convo's and people would have resolved it by now if it was a single issue.
100% sure

Quote:
Based on ONLY user submissions here and that I CANT relate since I am not having an issue I think it is a noise problem AND a static ARC that is resetting the DX RX.
And perhaps ESC placement?

Quote:
My .00002 cents.

That wasn't much!

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psindrup View Post
Could you change the vote to a multiple choice vote, so we can check every option we think - not only "two of the above"?

Peter
I can't change the poll once it's started, so you should state which 2 or which 3 the problems are if you voted for those.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

It seems to me that the Spectrum receivers are not tolerant to low voltage and static. If you are going to use one, you better be very careful with component placement (good for any receiver), lube your belt with silicon containing no petrolium distilates, and use a quality external BEC. Otherwise, hope you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't see this problem.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Spectrum needs to upgrade their design.

Rick

Note: I'm not a big fan of grounding schemes. That's why I said lube the belt. Thats not to say you can't be successful grounding if done right.

Last edited by rdlohr; 02-12-2008 at 11:15 AM..
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in