Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ordered my first 4 channel heli today!

Just entered the Heli money pit, will be getting a UflyS RTF kit, with various extra replacement parts including a extra Battery rated at 1200. I am so new had to order a 15pc tool kit and trainer, locktite etc. course I don't plan on crashing ...haha

they had a superprice for this kit on Xheli, so I pulled the trigger. sould be way more interesting than the Co-axial I have...zzz

Happy thanksgiving!

Ed
Mesa_Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

First of all, welcome to Helifreak and the wonderful hobby of helis!
Now... about those rumors... who said heli flying is an expensive money pit? Who said you're ever going to crash?
My opinion, the biggest waste of money... that 15pc tool kit and trainer you bought!!
Chill and enjoy, no stress, flying helis is push-button easy!!
Cheers!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah boy, all the threads I read on this site about 10 second first flights, I did like the videos I saw on utube showing how to skitter around a floor with the trainer, I will be doin that for awhile first till I figure everything
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

take it slow!!!!

get a simulator!!!!!

im almost 4 months in and im ripping it!!!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

A month or less with your 4 channel and you will be good enough to hover a CP heli. A month or so of practice with that and you will be flying circuits. Just take it one step at a time and don't give up! Its really hard in the beginning.
krobinson103 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

sounds about right to me, we will see about that month
Old 12-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If just learning I would suggest fitting some Airy blades from Helipal, and replace the flybar with a steel one from a 450 heli. This will may your Ufly much more durable during the nasty part of the learning curve. I would also suggest turning off the balance mode dip switch until your comfortable with lift off. If your setup is good(level swash) then lift of is simpler with balance mode off.

Good Luck
Old 12-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the tips, I coul not resist...today I stuck the battery in and set it on the floor in my garage Just spun it up a few times without the training bars on, sounded smooth and I already have leveled out the flybar which was packed with one paddle off 90 degrees!
I am putting on the training struts before I lift her off, all I will do is try hovering to start, no hurry
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't want to dissuade you....but, hovering is the hardest part!!! I have a UflyS myself and just past the hovering in tail in and nose in orientations. Working on left and right now.

Sim has been KEY for me!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

no sim for me....Hovering is good training, precise stick control and learning what does what......would like to upgrade charger this one takes forever

I took it outside today (driveway) and skitter around with the training balls did a couple very brief hovers... scary how the BATTERY DIES VERY QUICK...how do you deal with that?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set a timer - if you don't have one on the tx get a kitchen timer and velcro it to the tx. Then find out just how long you can fly and still retain about 20% charge in the battery. Generally that ends up to be about 4-5 minutes, but it could be longer. Don't fly the battery until it dies or your batteries won't last 2 weeks...
krobinson103 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How ya holding up OP?????

i just got a thunder ac6 charger that charges my 7.4 1200mah batteries for my v200d01 4 channel in 20 minutes!!! and thats only at 1C or 1.2amps charging rate. It's selectable on the voltage and i can charge 2200mah 11.1 batteries at 2C in less than a half hour!!!!

as stated you should not run these batteries down past 20% as it drastically shortens the life of then if not totally make them useless.

i made this mistake in the beginning. But i have learned so much from this site it's crazy
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah, I spend most of my time on here yesterday searching all about chargers then I read about the %20 left crap...THAT sucks....I did not know the battery's would be such a PITA, thinking that area would be like charging for my digital cameras .
I may get that charger you got, seems to be a popular one, also saw an adapter you can use to plug in multiple battery's at once. when I ordered the Heli, I also bought an extra battery from WOW website, It is a 1200 30 battery rather than the stock 800 15, should last longer?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa_Guy View Post
yeah, I spend most of my time on here yesterday searching all about chargers then I read about the %20 left crap...THAT sucks....I did not know the battery's would be such a PITA, thinking that area would be like charging for my digital cameras .
I may get that charger you got, seems to be a popular one, also saw an adapter you can use to plug in multiple battery's at once. when I ordered the Heli, I also bought an extra battery from WOW website, It is a 1200 30 battery rather than the stock 800 15, should last longer?
higher C rating doesnt mean more flight time.....it means more power.

but the higher mah should increase your time by 3 minutes i would imagine.

love my charger alot.

i was charging 2650 on regular charger taking over 3 hours!!! now it's 40 minutes!!!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

had a decent workout with the UFLYS today, managed to soft crash a few times with no breakage, trying to fix the trim and keep it steady, ordered a 4#3B micro for only $100 today, that will be my 4 channel indoor trainer
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa_Guy View Post
had a decent workout with the UFLYS today, managed to soft crash a few times with no breakage, trying to fix the trim and keep it steady, ordered a 4#3B micro for only $100 today, that will be my 4 channel indoor trainer
cool man keep it up!!!

practice practice practice!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in