Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default The Notchy GAUI Swashplates!!!!!!!!!

O.K Freaks
How many of you, have replaced your swash's????
And of you, how many have noticed your swash was NOTCHY. Notchy like from the bearing being compressed from the pressing of the mating surface of the swashblock.
This is the third swash, I have installed into my two birds. And all three of them have been this way, and the new one I'am holding in my hand is this way.
After replacing my mainshaft bearings with some ceramic ones, in this rebuild. I realize now there is no reason for this notchy bearing. Now here is the crux of the question.

Has anyone removed this bearing and replaced it?
Has anyone tried to remove it with out distroying the swash??
Has anyone used a another manufacturers swash as a replacement???

I hope this is not an isolated icident as this is the third I have seen like this. I have notcied, that as the bearing wears, it is not as pronouced. But it should not be this way.
FlyawayClyde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

my swash has been fine since day 1... others have used the Trex500 ESP swash as a replacement.. CNCHeli also makes one..
mysticmead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I never checked mine out like that when they were new (because they were new and the range was good so i just assembled and flew em).

Still using my two originals swash setups on the 550 hurri's and now have a combination of 937 flights on them. Still using the same two stock tail cases without any issues at 2150hs.

To date these are my copy/pasted totals of some major items that have been replaced:

Main shaft bearings replaced = 12 total
Bearings below the owb replaced = 4
Bearings above the owb = 1
Tail bearings replaced = 3
Feathering shafts = 6
Main shafts = 5
Belts = 2
Tail pulley = 1
OWB's 20t = 6 , 19t = 1
42t Gears = 6
61t Gears = 2
68t Gears = 2
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

You must keep compleate maintance and flightlogs. For that is darn thorugh.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes this swash wil not spin freely.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some one is ANAL (Steve)....must be an Engineer>>>(lol)

don't forget the two "Cutting Boards"....

I have my origianl two swashes....no problems....

Two retired Gaui 550 hurricanes (Sold)
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ya gotta keep track of the things ya replace... and things like how many flights it had before replacing. if replacement was due to wear or was it due to crash. how else ya gonna get an idea of when it's close to a replacement time on a certain part like a bearing.

of course everyone will have different results. bobbybe seems to get 6-8 flights per set of bearings above and below his OWB.. yet I haven't had to replace a bearing yet... and I have 148 flights on mine. once I get a HH frame, I'll be transferring everything over to that and will be able to check the condition of all the bearings at that time. until then, it it doesn't make me think otherwise, and I keep them lubed, they should be good to go.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post

don't forget the two "Cutting Boards"....

I have my origianl two swashes....no problems....
I may be ANAL but I want no friction.(Am I the anal one, or is Xodarap?)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problems with the swash on either of my 550's, only replaced the main and OWB bearings on the "new" (only 200 flights) 550, the original (only about 160 flights) is still on original bearings (though there is some noise) and it's elevator servo just died.

Mike.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmead View Post
ya gotta keep track of the things ya replace... and things like how many flights it had before replacing. if replacement was due to wear or was it due to crash. how else ya gonna get an idea of when it's close to a replacement time on a certain part like a bearing.

of course everyone will have different results. bobbybe seems to get 6-8 flights per set of bearings above and below his OWB.. yet I haven't had to replace a bearing yet... and I have 148 flights on mine. once I get a HH frame, I'll be transferring everything over to that and will be able to check the condition of all the bearings at that time. until then, it it doesn't make me think otherwise, and I keep them lubed, they should be good to go.
I understand keeping track of ones maintance. And the importance of a good regime. I just find I dont need to keep track like that.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyawayClyde View Post
I understand keeping track of ones maintance. And the importance of a good regime. I just find I dont need to keep track like that.

that's because you're not anal... like Steve (Xodarap)
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I found the GAUI swashes to be pretty good. Only reason I got a Trex 500 swash on my bird is that it's so much easier to come by and performs about the same. The real problem I've noticed that causes my slop is the A-arm for the elevator where it meets the elevator lever at the frame. I bought one new and it still had slop. I wanna get a metal one but no one makes one that allows for the straight linkages at the servo, i.e. the HDX 550 from HeliDirect that has the offset requirement at the servo. Ben! You think you can design a CNC A-arm?!?!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyawayClyde View Post
.(Am I the anal one, or is Xodarap?)
That was for Steve.....(but only kidding)...

I have never had the patience to keep records like that.....I have no idea how many times I have charged my lipos (I tried the dot on the tape thing but gave up)...

I like to inspect the heli every once in a while......and have replaced a couple of OWB's and the bearings above and below....and a couple of main shaft bearings for notchyness. I have a squeal once in a while but the bearings will have to fail before Ican find it...

Any info like Steves....is good because the rest of us will look a little closer at parts that have failed on others.

Now I thing Steve flies a heck of a lot.....and any anyone that thinks the hurry is a POS....should rethink that.....we have thousands of flights on hurrys....

If we could just lick the tail kicks...!!...

Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS819 View Post
I found the GAUI swashes to be pretty good. Only reason I got a Trex 500 swash on my bird is that it's so much easier to come by and performs about the same. The real problem I've noticed that causes my slop is the A-arm for the elevator where it meets the elevator lever at the frame. I bought one new and it still had slop. I wanna get a metal one but no one makes one that allows for the straight linkages at the servo, i.e. the HDX 550 from HeliDirect that has the offset requirement at the servo. Ben! You think you can design a CNC A-arm?!?!
This http://www.helidirect.com/cnc-alumin...550-p-5903.hdx should fit, with this http://www.helidirect.com/cnc-alumin...550-p-5902.hdx but you will get offset levers. Or I have these on both of mine http://www.helidirect.com/cnc-swashp...550-p-3792.hdx in stock here http://www.readyheli.com/204677_CNC_...0_p/204677.htm
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm cool with being called anal in regards to some of my practices in some ares of my Hobbies. So much so I was called anal this morning by my Wife when I made this loud sighing sound when assemlbing my rotorhead. And not being able to live with this notchy swashplate, I ask my fellow hurri freaks.
Is this something anyone else has noticed. I mean with a new swash.
I did go to my LHS today and I picked up an 'T-REX 500 ULTRALIGHT EXTREME 3D EDITION SWASHPLATE' .
So I will see how it does.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup, i keep detailed flight logs (online and offline of course, in case something should happen heheheh) on another website (don't know if i can even mention that site here so won't risk it ) since the day i started flyin and i guess it could be considered to be a bit anal to some :o. For the few seconds it takes to write that stuff down, it's been well worth it.

Clyde, i wish i knew how much notchiness (is that even a word?) you mean.. if it's minor, i would put a few hard flights on it to see if that problem remains. Wish i could be of some help. And.. Mjdee14 was kiddin with me.. not you about being anal so no worries. Most of us take all of that stuff as intended as good fun.. so no worries bro. ;-)

But as was mentioned, i do know what failed, when and why with the hurris i have. Doing that has helped me to make adjustments, test through trial and error, and keep them flying everyday i wanna fly and i've never had any mystery problems out of either one of them yet to worry about, so i'm gonna keep on keepin on.

Quote:
uhmm.. yup. 61st engineer and 529th engineer det's with with 101st abn and 10th mountain divisions.. so i guess i'm doomed for life

..And Hey,.. i don't even own an eagle tree, scale, tach, sundial or any other high speed measuring stuff.. so it could be worse, right?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Thanks for the info! I really don't want to have to deal with the offset though. I already have the CNC swashplate guide on my Hurri. The slop in my system is a vertical slop, not horizontal. I guess I'll just wait until the 550's redesign that's supposed to happen this year or next.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodarap1 View Post

uhmm.. yup. 61st engineer and 529th engineer det's with with 101st abn and 10th mountain divisions.. so i guess i'm doomed for life

I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT !!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodarap1 View Post

Clyde, i wish i knew how much notchiness (is that even a word?) you mean.. if it's minor, i would put a few hard flights on it to see if that problem remains. Wish i could be of some help. And.. Mjdee14 was kiddin with me.. not you about being anal so no worries. Most of us take all of that stuff as intended as good fun.. so no worries bro. ;-)

No I have not been offended by this anal stuff, as I said I was called that by the spouse. And I can take a ribbing as well as anybody else so no worries......
I will send it to you, if you like. to see what I mean??
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd be happy to take a look at it for ya. PM sent.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in