Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do you mix in your progression?

I've made a mistake in my sim progression

I know in the from tail in to all 8s says to mix in ir flying and sim flying with your progression. But I've lost my weekends over the winter and have been simming each morning for almost a year now.

My ir flying consists of tail down funnels, tail first inverted hurricanes, half Piro flips and ail / elevator tic tocs as an example.

Well here's my issue, on the sim I'm doing funnels and hurricanes 8s in all orientations, pirouetting funnels/circles (whatever you call them lol) and recently been able to do sloopy full piro-flips.

So I've been out about 4 times this year and I end up only flying the moves I was flying last year I just can't seem to focus and be at the field and start flying as I do on the sim. So have I made a huge mistake getting to far ahead of myself? Or am I just over thinking all this and once summer hits and I'm flying more will my flying mimic my sim? I can see that being possible, I just joined a new club so maybe I'm sticking to moves I've done just to keep it safe. Maybe I need to go to a farm field by myself and step back and practice on my own and take a leap backwards and start over, as in go back to learning ir like I did in the sim?

It's a weird feeling knowing I fly totally different and more technical on the sim over real life
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you'll be allright. Once you fly IRL a couple of times after each other, you'll be getting better and more comfortable.
Then you can start trying the moves from the SIM at a safe height.

I personally have the same thing, if I SIM too much while not flying IRL, i need a couple of flights to get comfortable again because it still is different.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhelipilot View Post
I've made a mistake in my sim progression

I know in the from tail in to all 8s says to mix in ir flying and sim flying with your progression. But I've lost my weekends over the winter and have been simming each morning for almost a year now.

My ir flying consists of tail down funnels, tail first inverted hurricanes, half Piro flips and ail / elevator tic tocs as an example.

Well here's my issue, on the sim I'm doing funnels and hurricanes 8s in all orientations, pirouetting funnels/circles (whatever you call them lol) and recently been able to do sloopy full piro-flips.

So I've been out about 4 times this year and I end up only flying the moves I was flying last year I just can't seem to focus and be at the field and start flying as I do on the sim. So have I made a huge mistake getting to far ahead of myself? Or am I just over thinking all this and once summer hits and I'm flying more will my flying mimic my sim? I can see that being possible, I just joined a new club so maybe I'm sticking to moves I've done just to keep it safe. Maybe I need to go to a farm field by myself and step back and practice on my own and take a leap backwards and start over, as in go back to learning ir like I did in the sim?

It's a weird feeling knowing I fly totally different and more technical on the sim over real life
No mistake. Just get out and fly IRL more. You will catch up the difference pretty quick once you are confident of the handling of you IRL heli. When you consciously push yourself IRL, IRL progress happens.

IRL, crashes have consequence. Takes some time to build confidence in your IRL flying and do whatever your sim training has been.

Alternatively (if you are a complete adrenalin junkie) you can try fly IRL like you are at current level in the sim. Really gets the heart rate going. 90%+ chance it will come out OK. However the <10% chance of oops gives the rush (even at height).
Old 02-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

the only thing holding you back is yourself, if you can nail it the sim you can nail at the field. Just because it feels a little different doesn't mean its more difficult you just have to readjust
MotorG525 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also get way more SIM time than real flying time (consider that an immovable constraint). So this is something I have thought about a lot. For a while I was afraid to try stuff IRL that I was doing in the SIM, even stuff I had mastered. I found that I had to really force myself at the field or else I would just stay in the comfort zone. I made a new rule which was if I had a move mastered in the SIM, I would try it at the field. By mastered I mean:

1.) Can do the move pretty much indefinitely in the SIM with a 450-class heli
2.) Can do the move controlled within a constrained area (e.g. for 3d stuff, within a 20’ box)

I like practicing with a 450 because it requires so much more control. I am starting to ease off of that rule a bit because some things I think are excessively hard to learn on a 450 (e.g. piro tic-tocs).

When I force myself at the field, I just clinch up, get the heli nice and high and try the move just a little. E.g. when learning 4-point tic-tocs, I would just do the first ¼ rotation then recover to a hover. Then once I was comfortable, I would try a couple ¼ rotations, etc.

After a couple months of forcing myself to try things at the field I no longer have the fear that I used to have with trying out new things. It has really accelerated my progression with learning and significantly reduced the difference between what I have mastered on the SIM and what I have mastered at the field.

Another thing that helped me is to make the SIM as close to real life as possible. E.g. I have a stand-up config where my screen is at eye level and I use my real radio with neck strap. I also try to dial in the heli in the SIM to be as close to my real one as possible.
ryanha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do moves you are comphortable in the SIM at a higher altitude in real life so you have time to recover in case something goes wrong. After some time you will feel confident to lower the altitude.
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in