Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Move the link ball to outer holes?

Need more aileron and elevator through and I'm wondering if I can move the link balls on the blue round servo arms to the outer holes? I have the 700E DFC V2.
Moving to the outer holes will not make the two rods parallel anymore, would that be a problem?
mgorgis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's you pitch range been, The Align manual specifically denotes which holes to use and I haven't seen anyone deviate from that. I would check your flight control setting and make sure you are getting +- 14 to 15 degrees pitch equally around your swash and make sure your servo travel is not limited if it is you need to adjust your servo travel settings.

Chase
B400
TREX500ESP FBL DFC
TREX 700E V2 DFC
thielecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, which FBL unit are you using? #GX, Vbar, CG, etc?

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

More throw? You should be able to get plenty of throw out of the stock setup....What FBL unit are you running? If you need better Geometry in the head for Vbar or BeastX then this is a different issue....

Let me know....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeastX with DFC head, I have only -+11 because the cyclic pitch is not enough. The servos don't reach the travel end but the ball links are binding the servo case so I thought if I move the balls out then they won't bind as much
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What kind of servos? Outrage or MKS by any chance?

I had the same problem with Outrage servos. I tried several fixes but in the end I wound up putting the linkage balls on the outside of the servo wheels and getting longer linkage ball for the linkage arms. I didn't change the FBL geometry, have no binding, and have a ton of cyclic throw now.
rctazz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stock DS610 servos, but on the outside of the wheel the arms won't be vertical, they will lean a bit, is that not a problem?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't follow what you mean by not vertical. When I put the linkage balls on the outside of the servo wheel, I had to use a longer linkage ball on the Aileron Levers to keep the linkage rods parallel to the frame.

As a side note, I never had binding with the DS610 servos, I could get around 14 degrees of Cyclic with those using the Servo wheels that came with the kit.

If you need me to, I can take a picture.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the same issue that you see on the 550 and the 600 heads when running the Vbar or the BeastX. On these platforms the best way to solve the problem is to shorten the FBL link balls on the swash or buy the KDE grip arms which bring the arms out farther then the stock setup (both of these machines are direct swash connections so it makes the choices to fix this limited). In theory you could do what you are talking about but I think the more correct way to fix this issue would be to do it through the head geometry. I'm curious as to what others have done for this setup since many run the Vbar and the BeastX.....
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctazz View Post
I don't follow what you mean by not vertical. When I put the linkage balls on the outside of the servo wheel, I had to use a longer linkage ball on the Aileron Levers to keep the linkage rods parallel to the frame.

As a side note, I never had binding with the DS610 servos, I could get around 14 degrees of Cyclic with those using the Servo wheels that came with the kit.

If you need me to, I can take a picture.
By vertical I meant parallel to the frame. Yes, longer linkage ball on the aileron lever would cure this. I can get 14 degree but with max eileron or elevator input, 14 is not possible anymore. I'm talking about menu L in beastx setup. Please a pic would help alot

mtuccio: I don't see how shortening linkage balls on the swash give more throw? gives less doesn't it?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuccio View Post
This is the same issue that you see on the 550 and the 600 heads when running the Vbar or the BeastX. On these platforms the best way to solve the problem is to shorten the FBL link balls on the swash or buy the KDE grip arms which bring the arms out farther then the stock setup (both of these machines are direct swash connections so it makes the choices to fix this limited). In theory you could do what you are talking about but I think the more correct way to fix this issue would be to do it through the head geometry. I'm curious as to what others have done for this setup since many run the Vbar and the BeastX.....
Putting the balls on the outside of the wheels was the only way to fix the issue with Outrage servos. The 700 FBL kit comes set up for the head to be the correct geometry for FBL. I'm not sure why you would want to change the Head geometry to fix an issue with binding at the servos. For information, I run the BeastX on my 700 and have way more than enough cyclic and collective deflection to get the BeastX maximum roll and Flip rate. IMO, if the aileron/elevator levers could not provide enough movement, then I would consider changing the head geometry.

Just out of curiosity mgorgis, what servo wheels are you using and are your ball links all aligned correctly?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorgis View Post
By vertical I meant parallel to the frame. Yes, longer linkage ball on the aileron lever would cure this. I can get 14 degree but with max eileron or elevator input, 14 is not possible anymore. I'm talking about menu L in beastx setup. Please a pic would help alot

mtuccio: I don't see how shortening linkage balls on the swash give more throw? gives less doesn't it?
No it would give you more. The same vertical travel closer to the pivot point gives a larger angle of deflection. Give a me minute to go take a picture.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Does that help at all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ServoWheels1.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	315516   Click image for larger version

Name:	ServoWheels.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	315517  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That DOES help, thanks! I understand now how shortening the ball on the swash gives more throw (I thought first it was the inner swash and in that case it gives less throw). I'll move the balls to the outer side, make linkage balls longer and if still not enough, I'll shorten the balls on the swash (have you done it too? the ball on your swash (connected to the elevator arm is the long one right?

Where can I buy those long and short linkage balls?
Here's my setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230028.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	315527   Click image for larger version

Name:	230137.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	315528   Click image for larger version

Name:	230151.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	315529   Click image for larger version

Name:	230206.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	315530  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
That DOES help, thanks! I understand now how shortening the ball on the swash gives more throw (I thought first it was the inner swash and in that case it gives less throw). I'll move the balls to the outer side, make linkage balls longer and if still not enough, I'll shorten the balls on the swash (have you done it too? the ball on your swash (connected to the elevator arm is the long one right?

Here's my setup

I bought the linkage ball pack for the 700 and it had a bunch of the longer linkage balls in it.

I did not change the geometry of the head from stock.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found this HN7065 and it seems to be the one you're refering to. I too think that eliminating binding to servo case would be enough and there wouldn't be a need to change swash link balls :-)

Thanks all for your help
Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Start by drawing a line at 6 degrees to a point that simulates a link location on a swashplate and then extend this line to the CL of the main shaft. Now without changing the starting point of the line (this simulates the grip link location) create a new swash link point that is 4 mm shorter to the first line and draw a line up to the original link point on the grip. You will see the angle is actually bigger when you do this. Up until the KDE arms were released for the 550 / 600 most guys were removing the stock FBL linkage balls (long ones) and replacing them with the Nitro ones which are very short. This wasn't a perfect solution but it did get you pretty close using the BeastX unit.

Hope this helps....
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Start by drawing a line at 6 degrees to a point that simulates a link location on a swashplate and then extend this line to the CL of the main shaft. Now without changing the starting point of the line (this simulates the grip link location) create a new swash link point that is 4 mm shorter to the first line and draw a line up to the original link point on the grip. You will see the angle is actually bigger when you do this. Up until the KDE arms were released for the 550 / 600 most guys were removing the stock FBL linkage balls (long ones) and replacing them with the Nitro ones which are very short. This wasn't a perfect solution but it did get you pretty close using the BeastX unit.

Hope this helps....
Didn't anderstand a thing...nada! but see my earlier post where I wrote that you're right and it does give more throw without going through the description above

Quote:

Here's my setup
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Didn't anderstand a thing...nada! but see my earlier post where I wrote that you're right and it does give more throw without going through the description above
It's all good...Thanks for not understanding my post.....
Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's all good...Thanks for not understanding my post.....
Thanks for not being so helpful no just kidding, it was too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in