Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Setting up Graupner MZ Radio with 720BE

Well after many frustrating hours, I've got my Graupner MZ-18 connected with a GR-24L receiver with my 720BE. It wasn't easy or fast. If you are contemplating this, read what follows as I wrote it down for posterity, making it easier for others and myself if I ever have to do this again.

Heli is a DT700, Hobbywing 120A esc

For better formatting I've attached a PDF which will make this easier to read (a Word file format isn't allowed, so PM me if you want that) .

What follows is a tutorial about setting up Graupner MZ (18 or 24) (mine is an 18) with an already programmed 720BE.
Flight mode switch on SW5 (top of transmitter left)
Self-Level when SW7 (top of transmitter right) is in the middle position or up
DV1 changes the main cyclic gain on Bank 2 (for temporary tuning) Then lock Cyclic gain at Bank or (un-assign DV1 and the travel adjust will change gain)
DV2 controls the tail gain on both Tail 1 and Tail 2 (DV2 will actually switch the tail bank from 1 to 2, I don’t use two tail banks so I left it this way. I’m only tuning the tail on one bank (whichever has the blue bar over the Tail bank tab. Once tuned, I turn off the selection in Skookum software (which changes to just one bank and either use travel adjust to set gain or lock gain in the Tail tab.
FYI, to check this procedure I set the radio (TX) and receiver (RX) and then reset both and ran all the way through.

I hope it helps prevent frustration.

Scott

1. Charge Radio and RX pack
2. Bind Receiver
a. Power on TX, select “SET” to BIND is not set up window (RF needs to be on)
b. Hold button down (3 seconds and let go) on receiver while powering up
c. In the Base/Tx ctl (which will be open)– touch bind on/off (wait for bind), tap Back
d. Select System icon from main screen (lower left), tap Stick Cali and calibrate transmitter sticks, tap Back to main menu.
Note: if this is a new set up with a 720BE do not connect servos yet.
e. IF connecting with single wire (PPM connection) from receiver to 720be (RX must be powered up), tap Function/Telemetry/Setting & Data View, tap ENT until the RX Servo Test screen (3 taps), tap inc to move curser to CH OUT TYPE, tap Set to change type of output, tap inc/dec until SUMDHD12 displays, tap Set to accept that and go to next setting, tap inc/dec to FS, tap Set, (if needed, tap Set to change the default number – 12L will not give choice, 24L RX should be set to 12, tap Set), tap Back to main menu.
f. Connect receiver to 720be (no servos if it’s a new setup) – At this point the RX will obtain power from the 720be (so disconnect the RX power – and power the 720be. Receiver 12L plug from Port 6 to 720be IO-B. Receiver 24L plug from Port 8 to flb IO-B. If Power Bus is used the IO-B port on the power bus should be used.
g. Monitor outputs of 720be to manage channel assignment (note: I tried to set the channel assignments by number only, that didn’t work for me, what follows did work)
i. Connect 720BE with USB cable to computer and start Skookum Setup utility.
ii. Change Receiver Type in Skookum Setup utility to Graupner. With this change, you should see stick movement in the Skookum Setup utility.
iii. Move one channel/stick on the transmitter at a time and look to see what it moves (collective, rudder, elevator, and aileron) (this is only for gimbal stick positions).Here’s what I found: 1.Pitch – collective; 2.Roll1- aileron; 3.Pitch-axis1- elevator; 4.Tail rotor-rudder) In TX, open Base/Ch Set. Click red box next to the channel name, ignore popup window and move the transmitter stick that should control that function (This is a trial and error – if I did my math right there is only 10 possible combinations). Ignore the fact that the servo may be reversed.
iv. Do this for each of the four directions on the gimbal, press back button to get to base screen. (if a mistake is made or that choice was wrong, just repeat the above)
(note: I mentioned I set up an already programmed 720be, if this is not your scenario I suggest you visit the Skookum wizards to set the servos up now – I don’t know how that will interfere with the rest of this tutorial) to others, continue.
v. Tap next to 9.Aux2 on the red DV1, in the popup window tap Clr (this clears a throttle limit situation in radio)
vi. Tap Back to Base and tap Rev/Slow icon, Select the Norm/Rev for the first four channels until the outputs in the 720be software read the correct directions (My heli is a DT700 your set up may vary (1-stick up is green collective, 2-right is green aileron, 3-down is green elevator, 4-right is green rudder) back out to Base menu, tap Function (button for the Function screen)
vii. Tap Q.Link – tap 3.Idle-up1 to highlight and tap new, tap Null under control. Ignore popup and rock the flight mode switch, tap the middle red OFF (to ON) to assign that function to that part of the switch. tap back
viii. Tap 4.Idle-up2 and repeat above, except to tap the bottom red OFF (to ON) of the flight mode switch setting. Back out to main screen
h. Set Throttle curves next,
i. In Skookum software run Stick Scaling wizard
ii. In Radio, tap Function, tap THR.CRV (note: you should see on this screen, to the right of the Model Name, which flight mode the switch position is in. Rock flight mode switch to check each switch position. If reversed, revisit Q.Link switch assignment by following the above steps and choosing a different position for the assignment.)
iii. Flight mode switch in Normal position (down most position)
iv. Tap the Red ST OFF to turn it on, move the collective stick upward (watch the 720be software (stick output should show 0 -100% or close to it mine showed throttle as -1). At for 35 to 40% stick position, tap ENT. Raise collective stick to fully up position and tap ENT. Tap the red Y-axis icon and tap inc/dec icons to move throttle curve line to same 35-40% level (in Skookum) Radio should show flat lie between the second and third dots).
v. Flight mode switch to Idle-up1, collective stick down – tap ENT – tap Y-axis – tap inc/dec so point is at 60%. Increase collective stick fully up (to see vertical line of stick position in radio graph, tap ST OFF) and tap ENT. Tap Y-axis – tap inc/dec to move throttle curve (flat line) to 60% (in Skookum).
vi. Flight mode switch to Idle-up2 and repeat but this time set throttle curve to 100% flat line. Tap to Function menu.
vii. Tap THR.HOLD, with Flight Mode switch in Normal position, tap the red INH next to ACT to ON, tap the red ON next to CTL, ignore the popup and move your desired Hold switch. In the next window tap OFF to ON for the switch position the Hold should be active (for me that was the middle and bottom selections). Tap Back, with throttle hold in ON position (for me the switch in middle position), (ACT should show ON) tap the red -100% next to SET, and tap inc/dec until the 720be software displays the lowest setting possible from radio (mine was already at the lowest setting of -100%, tap Back.
i. Set switch for bank switching (I use Cyclic 1 for bailout (SL always on) and fly in Cyclic 2)
i. In 720be software click on the Control tab, next to Gear click on the drop down and choose Cyclic Bank/Gain. In the Aux2 select Tail Bank/Gain.
ii. On the radio, tap Base/CHSet-tap the red icon NONE next to 5. Aux1. Rock bank switch you want to use (I used SW7).
iii. Confirm in 720be software that SW7 down is Bank 2, if not, tap to Base screen and Rev/Slow and tap 5.Nor (or Rev) to change the switch direction)
j. Set DV2 for Tail gain
i. Tap 7.Gyro red icon NONE and rotate DV2 (will control the tail gain on that knob) if you don’t want to dynamically change (tune) in flight do not set this channel assignment. ( you can always clear this by redoing these steps and after clicking on the red icon, tap Clr)
k. Set DV1 for main cyclic gain
i. Base menu tap ChSet, tap the red icon next to 8.Governor and rotate DV1 knob. tap to Function menu
ii. Bank switch to Cyclic 2 position
iii. Tap Prog.Mix, with Flight Mode switch in Normal, tap Master (MST) NONE on line 1, in the pop up window, tap the leftmost NONE and select CH8, tap the rightmost NONE and tap CH5, tap back, tap ACT INH on line 1 to ON, tap Set.
iv. In the next window the channels should read CH8 >> CH5
v. Tap CTL ON and flip SW7 to assign and in the next window tap the topmost radio button from OFF to ON (that will be the switch position furthest away), tap Back, tap ACT INH to turn ON, tap the red icon next to A, tap inc to 100%. tap Back
vi. Change Flight Mode to Idle up 1 and repeat most of above, tap Master (MST) NONE on line 1, In the pop up window of the next screen tap the leftmost NONE and select CH8, tap the rightmost NONE and tap CH5, tap back, tap ACT INH on line 1 to ON, tap Set.
vii. In the next window the channels should read CH8 >> CH5
viii. Tap CTL ON and rock SW7 (bank switch), in the pop up window tap OFF in what will be the further away position on the switch (which is the top of the position in that window), tap Back, If ACT show OFF or INH, tap to turn on, tap the red icon next to A, tap inc to 100%. tap Back
ix. Change Flight Mode to Idle up 2 and repeat most of above, tap Master (MST) NONE on line 1, In the pop up window of the next screen tap the leftmost NONE and select CH8, tap the rightmost NONE and tap CH5, tap back, tap ACT INH on line 1 to ON, tap Set.
x. In the next window the channels should read CH8 >> CH5
xi. tap CTL ON and rock SW7 (bank switch), in the pop up window tap OFF in what will be the further away position on the switch (which is the top of the switch in that window), tap Back, if ACT is not ON tap to turn on, tap the red icon next to A, tap inc to 100%. tap Back
xii. To make my life easier (and I couldn’t figure out how to do this otherwise) Click 720be tab Cyclic 1 (bank 1) and check the box Lock Cyclic Gain to - I set 50%
xiii. Check (Cyclic 2 (bank 2) and make sure the Lock Cyclic Gain is not checked
Easy Peasy, right!

Don’t forget to check Live data in Skookum for correct Gyro behavior.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Graupner on Skookum instruction.pdf (84.6 KB, 570 views)

Last edited by sctholson; 08-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Added Heli model and esc
sctholson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

=] Scott! brilliant work! same as Groucho's UDI fantastic work, I have added your setup links to the vid and walk-through sticky, nice n safe in there!

thanks! georgi.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Georgi, I shudder to think what it would be like if I had to set this up with a 720be that had not been previously set up. It would have to be a combination of Transmitter/RX...go to the Skookum wizard. go to the TX and set up... and go to the wizzard... for someone new, I would be really difficult.
Thanks for the compliments.
Btw; 4.0 Nice... I'm really struck that after I make a change to a setting like Cyclic gain.. on the next flight the heli flies better than the first flight. Not sure what secret sauce Art has in that unit, but it works nice.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Just heard back from Art on the receiver type question.

PPM, analog - set the receiver type to Futaba/Jeti PPM
SUMD, digital - set the receiver type to Graupner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in