Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Radikal G30 tail wag

I am a lost as to what to do to get the tail on this heli to stay locked in.

I have tried both an iKon and a beastx and the problem is a little less with the beastx but it never completely goes away.

I have replace all of the rotating parts main shaft, feathering shaft, main blades, tail rotor shaft, TT and tail blades. Problem still is present. Main blades are balanced and the blade tracking good.

The run out on the clutch to clutch housing is almost perfect, within a couple thousands.

If i set the gain high enough for the tail to start holding I can not do any kind of piro. Tail will rotate 60 - 90 degrees, pause and then repeat even with full input. I have tried the gain set at 15% all the way up to 88%. At 88% the tail starts holding but piro is not possible.

I am using an Align DS650 on the tail. This same servo works on my Velocity 50 with both the iKon and the beastx flawlessly.

At this point I am willing to try just about anything, anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check your tail blade grip bearings. They could be going bad and binding.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

This a new heli. Only have 5 or 6 hover flights on it while adjusting the gains on it.

All the bearings work perfectly smooth,no binding, no slop

No binding in the tail slider either.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you try the grey 3m exterior tape to mount your gyro. Gassers create a lot more vibes. If you read the skookum and other forums people are pretty much hard mounting their gyro's with 1-2 layers of the grey 3M exterior tape to overcome vibes and poor tail performance.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I see that you mentioned TT so I assume this is a newer kit or did you put the TT conversion on it? There where some wrong outer diameter thrust bearings some time back .You cannot feel them by hand but when installing both the inner and outer race of the thrust fit slightly snug into the tailblade grip.It is something to check as it had me going once and I tried 2 different gyros,tapes ect .Soon as I wound it up it would start to wag.The outer race should just drop in the grip.Hope you find it soon.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have problems with your thrust bearings in tail grips. They are too tight in blade grips. Grind outside down to 8,7mm.

Tine
Tine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since the tail bearing/grips are the last variable in this tail wag issue I am going to replace it with an aluminum tail assembly.

CNC TRIPLE BALL BEARING TAIL ASSEMBLY (CN2236)

If this does not fix the issue then it is in all likelihood engine vibration causing my problems.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
I see that you mentioned TT so I assume this is a newer kit or did you put the TT conversion on it? There where some wrong outer diameter thrust bearings some time back .You cannot feel them by hand but when installing both the inner and outer race of the thrust fit slightly snug into the tailblade grip.It is something to check as it had me going once and I tried 2 different gyros,tapes ect .Soon as I wound it up it would start to wag.The outer race should just drop in the grip.Hope you find it soon.
Dennis,

I did not convert this heli, it came as TT converted kit already.

I purchased the G30, FBL, TT + HWC G231 kit.

This is a very good kit but I did have one problem with it.
I could not install the clutch shoe all the way on to the fan assembly.

It would not go on far enough (bottom out) and the clutch shoe would drag on the top of the clutch housing after assembly.

I modified the the leading thread of the clutch shoe and was able to install it with the correct clearances after the mod.

Other that that no issues with the build.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Phil,
I forgot to tell you on RR that the washer that transfers the load from the thrust bearing to the inter race on the Radial bearing is part of the problem as well..
What happens is the o.d. of the washer is to small, and the I.D. is to big, so it allows the washers to get to one side..This puts uneven load on the bearings making it act weird..
The struts on the bottom frame also help in a steady tail...
You can put the TT tail assembly on, no problem, just saying...
Billme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billme View Post
Phil,
I forgot to tell you on RR that the washer that transfers the load from the thrust bearing to the inter race on the Radial bearing is part of the problem as well..
What happens is the o.d. of the washer is to small, and the I.D. is to big, so it allows the washers to get to one side..This puts uneven load on the bearings making it act weird..
The struts on the bottom frame also help in a steady tail...
You can put the TT tail assembly on, no problem, just saying...
Billme,

When I put the tail grips on I used the race with the larger ID as the inner race and the smaller ID as the outer race. This is the method I have always used when assembling tail ends and it has always worked.

Does this particular model require the tighter race ID on the inner race?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think your problem may be more what Dennis P and others have described. Some of the kits, awhile ago, came with thrust bearings that had plates that had too large an OD. 8.97mm or so rather then 8.87mm. This resulted in them not seating properly inside the blade grips. It only takes a few minutes to grind these OD's down a fraction, or contact Paul P. at Century and have him send you some with the proper OD.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with the Thrust bearing issue also Make sure your ball links on the controll rod and the pitch slider are free. My G20 had the exact issue and I found the pitch slider ball links so tight it was very hard to move.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Something to check, pop the tail push rod off at the the servo and make sure it has no catches or drags. If you have anything sticky or catching pop both tail links off, check it again and if gone then your tail balls are too tight or binding on tail links. If not then check your rod supports. I fought that one problem for a long time. Also you may need to chamfer the tail slider inside tube a little bit.

OK I did not see the post above.
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have checked all of the ball links and moving parts of the tail assembly.
They operate very smooth with zero binding and almost zero force needed to actuate it.

I have an aluminum tail blade assembly coming in a few days and I will put that on as soon as I can find a source for the TAIL PITCH LINK SPECIAL SCREW (CN2236A-1).

Can't believe that Century sells this thing but they don't have the screw for it. In fact I can't find anyone that has it.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on them?

Hopefully changing out the tail grips along with the bearings and the tail hub will fix things for me.

Edit:::
I found that Century Heli in France has them. It's about $30 to buy 2 of them and get them shipped here.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pliggett View Post
I have checked all of the ball links and moving parts of the tail assembly.
They operate very smooth with zero binding and almost zero force needed to actuate it.

I have an aluminum tail blade assembly coming in a few days and I will put that on as soon as I can find a source for the TAIL PITCH LINK SPECIAL SCREW (CN2236A-1).

Can't believe that Century sells this thing but they don't have the screw for it. In fact I can't find anyone that has it.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on them?

Hopefully changing out the tail grips along with the bearings and the tail hub will fix things for me.

Edit:::
I found that Century Heli in France has them. It's about $30 to buy 2 of them and get them shipped here.
Try someone in Canada - I am sure there are people there that have them and can probably ship them in an envelop. PM me if you want some contacts.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check leisure tech, and thehelifarm. One of them normally have anything I need.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM sent
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

After replacing every single part of the tail box I finally have managed to get rid of the tail wag.

I now have a very solid tail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in