Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cheapest possible lipo setup for the rex600

$204 for the align 4400mah 6s2p.

ok, now, whats the CHEAPEST way to charge/balance that beast?
RiXst3r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

cheapest way would be to buy a blade cx......, Why buy a quality heli, and be so concerned about being cheap. Now, If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, go with the tp1010 charger, and 210 balancer, it might save your battery for extended cycles, and save you some money. The cheapest is usually not the best way to go...............have a nice day..
gordohigh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

THATS AWESOME!!! I DIDNT KNOW A BLADE CX CAN CHARGE THE NEW 4400mah 6s2p align lipos... thats just AMAZING!...

I want something OTHER than the tp1010 and 210v that EVERYONE already suggests...

I already spent a small fortune on my current r/c heli stuff, I just am trying not to break the bank charging a friggin lipo...

edit: deflamed
Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

the astro 109 charger is like 120 bucks.. it will charge the align battery. I personally use the thunder power 1010, but if u want an alternative.. then the astro will work.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Now, now boys......

This is a flame-war free zone.
H0ndaJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Actually while I can afford it the $300 neede for the TP charger and balancer just ticks me off! I know darn well there will be better and cheaper alternatives around the corner.

I am looking at the astro with blinky balancer but I am still not happy with that either! Lipo charging is NOT rocket science and in fact is less compicated than properly charging nicads or MiMH batts! Chargers should not be this expensive. BUT the TP sharger and balancer does appear to be the best right now. I know I will be ticked off when I buy it and another company comes out with something better and cheaper!

I may use OPC (Other peoples chargers) for now as I am just not happy with the choices.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flightpower have a charge through balancer being advertised in the UK which will allow packs to be charged at up to 2C and its cheaper than the 2 - 6S passive balancer sold now. I'm intending to use one with my Astro 109 and the new Robbe Pro Peak Fun charger which charges up to 6S packs and is cheaper than the 109 in the UK plus it charges nicads & nimhs and uses small memory chips which you connect to the pack permanently and programme with the batteries cell count, charge rate etc., just plug in the chip & battery & hit go.
stevehonn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Your right Finless, it's not rocketscience anymore. When no-one used devices to charge each cell separately I agree some more advanced chargers could be justified however with a tap for each cell this could be as simple as cell phone chargers. But they are coming, Align have had one for a good while, others are showing up at fairly reasonable prices. ($40-50 up to 4S)
I'm pretty sure there will be more coming soon that takes 6S as soon as the 600 has been out for a little while.
Tintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, Robbe Pro Peak Fun charger with new Flightpower balancer seems to be a good combination and costs about 100€. Can charge 6s with maximum of 6.5A. Don't know if they are available in the states yet?
Heli_Freak_de is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehonn
you connect to the pack permanently and programme with the batteries cell count, charge rate etc., just plug in the chip & battery & hit go.
THAT'S what I am talking about!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the astro 109 and it gives/gave a wrong cell count error quite often.

Also, If you ever plan on getting into a heli that will require 10 cells, the 109 will not work.

The thing that worries me about lipos and cheaper chargers,(not necessaraly the astro), is if some idiot tries to charge a full pack and the charger thinks there are more cells than there are, someone's house could go up in smoke......not worth saving a few bucks. Besides, the batteries cost almost as much as one charger balancer setup, (a good one)..

As far as buying and then later upgrading, Isn't that what we all do anyhow....I agree though, I hope I never have to upgrade after buying the TP1010 and 210 balancer.....
gordohigh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Me Too! I love my 1010C and 210V combo, but it definitely wasn't cheap. Upgrading any time soon, definitely will not be on the cards.

Of course I don't see myself needing any more than the standard 6S for my 600 within the foreseeable future either.
H0ndaJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli_Freak_de
Yes, Robbe Pro Peak Fun charger with new Flightpower balancer seems to be a good combination and costs about 100€. Can charge 6s with maximum of 6.5A. Don't know if they are available in the states yet?
It will actually only charge at a maximum of 120W, thats around 4.8A on a 6S pack but good enough for the Trex 600 packs! The UK importer has sold out of the BID chips for the charger at the moment, big demand apparently!
stevehonn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not buy the FMA BalancePro Charger with the TP/PQ adapter. That will charge anything from 2 to 6 series batteries through the balance connector at up to 3C (if the Lipo can handle it). I just bought one to try out at $150. I also bought a PolyCharge 4 (4 seperate outputs for 1 ~ 4 lipos @ 3 amps) for $99.

My primary charger is an Orbit Pro with LipoChecker Pro balancer. But it costs over $400. I like it a lot as it can charge 12S, but I need to charge multiple packs simutaneously, so need more than one charger.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

I heard from a reliable source that heard directly from align that a charger specifically made to charge their 6s2p batteries is coming on in the next month or so... so I guess thats my answer!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r
I heard from a reliable source that heard directly from align that a charger specifically made to charge their 6s2p batteries is coming on in the next month or so... so I guess thats my answer!
I heard the same thing
But I also heard it will be SLOW.... kind of like the 3S charger for the Trex 450. Not sure I am interested in that based on "what I heard".

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

the whole slow thing doesnt bother me, I always spend 2 hours charging my batts now, and its never been a problem... I only ussually fly on the weekends though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in