Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OS 105 on 30% Nitro - extra shims necessary ?

I realize that the manual says to include an extra .1mm or .2mm.
However, I live at 4000' MSL and it feels like I'm taking away a lot of power with the extra shims (I have .2mm extra installed right now for a .4mm total), eventhough it might make for easier tuning. The engine runs great but it doens't produce as much power as I expected.
I'm wondering if I will hurt the motor by trying to run it with only the default 0.2mm head gasket on 30% nitro ? Anyone have any experience with the OS105 on 30% and only the default .2mm shim/head gasket installed ?
Goblin 700

chosen69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does anyone know the answer to this as I'm trying to figure out what shim to put in mine also

????
automagp68 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you comparing the power output too?
Did you run a test comparing 15% against 30% at 4000'?
I would expect at least 30% lower power than at sea-level. And an even bigger loss on hotter days.

Adding more nitro isn't going to help too much - and it will definitely make the engine run hotter.
Most everyone is running the 1.05 & the 1.20 with 15% nitro with great results. They have shown that running these engines with 30% nitro makes them run much hotter with little usable increase in power.
Adding the shims will reduce the heat build up due to the higher nitro, but the higher nitro isn't going to make up for the altitude.
Adding more shims isn't going to hurt anything - it lowers the compression and lower compression results in lower combustion pressures with less chance of preignition (ping).
Unless you try to lean it too much in the expectation of gaining some power due to the 30% + the shims. You will burn up the engine and think it was due to the shims.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

It seems that people are more prone to run 30% at our altitude

Almost everyone i know that flys here in colorado or Nm is running 30%

The questions is not a justification of which is better 15 or 30. The question is for the people who are running 30% in a 105 what head shim configuration are they finding to works the best?

does the 4mm shim lower the compression by to much making it feeling like a 91?

Is the 3mm total shim setup still to high and causing pinging?

I think that is the two questions here not a debate on which fuel is better or what percent nitro is better
Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here is what I came up with after trying most possible combinations and a lot of expereince with the OS 91 HZ (and its respective power output):

If you're at 4000'+ MSL like me:
  • use 30% instead of 15%, just like automagp mentioned. 15% will give you noticeably less power at this altitude.
  • the total of .4mm of shims that was recommended makes for a smooth running engine, but it takes away quite some power at this altitude. I went in steps down to the default .2mm, which did neither hurt the engine but finally produced the power that I expected in comparison to the 91HZ. It did make tuning a little harder in terms of you having to be pretty precise with your adjustments. I would recommed to use a temperature telemtry setup like I did for the tuning phase, so you know at any time whats going on temp-wise.
  • for this engine (HZR) it is imperative to make sure that there are NO air leaks anywhere that would deplete the pressure built up in the system. Especially the Trex700N tank with it's blind plug is prone for that ! I JB-welded the blind plug into the tank after finding that I lost some pressure through it. You should be looking for airleaks if you find the engine running inconsistent i.e. great in the beginning and significantly leaning out towards the end. I even dropped the header tank and went to a fuel magnet, to eliminate possible airleaks and was rewarded with a very powerful performance.
sorry for the long write up - just my experience.
Goblin 700

Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a 105 but have run 91's since they came out and have played with head shims for years on numerous engines. The shims are .1mm and .2mm. I believe the engine comes with the .1mm shim installed from the factory. When you want to use 30% nitro you would REMOVE that shim and install the .2mm instead. Having both installed would lower the compression ratio alot at sea level, nevermind 4000 ft. Now, that would be the starting point at sea level. At 4000 ft the air is thinner so you may be able to run 30% with the thin shim. You can always try it and see if you can get it tuned or not. I would start decreasing the total amount of shim, see if the power increases without signs of too much compression, and go from there.
marc8090 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The OS105 has a single .2mm shim installed by default.
Goblin 700

Old 12-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just loaded mine with the 4mm total shim

Going to see what happens. Im going to let my buddy fly it who has extensive expereince with the 91 and see if he thinks its flying like a 91 or if he thinks it feels like a 105 and go from there.
If i can get it to the 3mm shim with out blowing something up that is where i would like to be
Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any news about OS105 on 30 % ?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run both of my 105s on 30% Rotor Rage at 2700ft elevation with the stock shims. I occasionally go to fun fly's at sea level and have never had a problem, just richen it up 2 or 3 clicks.
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

guys flying at higher altitudes should remove shims not add them , the higher you are the thinner the air is , this results in less air being compressed in the chamber lowering compression
30% nitro will only probably require a few clicks richer to get tuning in check , if motor starts pinging id go with a slightly colder plug before dropping compression
cabeng is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running .4mm shims with 3O% VP Powermaster on mine at approximately 500' above sea level. Gobs of power!!
scssniper74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds about right... !!

@ 500' MSL that should make for easy tuning but still give tons of power on 30% fuel...
Goblin 700

Old 03-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scssniper74 View Post
I'm running .4mm shims with 3O% VP Powermaster on mine at approximately 500' above sea level. Gobs of power!!
Same here except I use Cool Power
Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in Iowa and I run 30% Coolpower no issues she comes down warm to the touch but not hot.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. What would be the better option - 15% or 30% and how many shims?
DaweMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran both of mine all of last season on Byron 30%. Tried .008, .016, and .020 worth of shim. Never got them to run as smooth as I would like. Rebuilt over the winter and switched to 22.5%. Have 30 flights so far and they have never run so smooth. I vote for NOT using 30% in this engine.
marc8090 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8090 View Post
I ran both of mine all of last season on Byron 30%. Tried .008, .016, and .020 worth of shim. Never got them to run as smooth as I would like. Rebuilt over the winter and switched to 22.5%. Have 30 flights so far and they have never run so smooth. I vote for NOT using 30% in this engine.
I've run 30%, 22.5%, and 15%. Mine runs the smoothest on 15% and I really couldn't tell any difference in power output.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in