Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW, Kyle never has used three straps on the battery plate. Only two, and we've yet to have any packs "shift" on the plate.

Remember, as a manufacturer of a product (with all the liability attached), Mikado has to in all cases present, instruct, and display the model as safely as reasonably possible.

(-: Dave
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

thrust bearings.

anyone notice their orientation in the manual. looks like the open end of cage is pointed outwards. I normally point the cage in wards to "hold" the grease. I've often wondered if it made a difference.
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
thrust bearings.

anyone notice their orientation in the manual. looks like the open end of cage is pointed outwards. I normally point the cage in wards to "hold" the grease. I've often wondered if it made a difference.
That is interesting because if you zoom in to the thrusts on the tail they've done the same thing as the mains. Like you, I put mine in the other way for the same reason as you. Perhaps I've been doing wrong?
Jays200 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
thrust bearings.

Good question, I do the same thing, but I would not mind some clarity on the issue.
Bullfrog98 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

It makes sense to keep the grease in the cage, sure that must be wrong but will stand correcting.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm probably going to get some "super bearing expert" on here to say I'm full of B/S...

But, I did read in a thrust bearing spec. once, that the cage of the bearing is there to keep the balls properly oriented, spaced and in position. So...

When (improperly) installed in the way to "keep the grease in", the cage due to rotational forces is thrown away from the balls, and the balls have more opportunity to move around.

When the cage is (properly) installed as in the XXtreme's manual, the cage as it's thrown outwards traps and holds the balls in their exact orientations, the whole purpose for the cage even being there.

For many years I also installed the cage to "trap the grease", and often had the balls fallout of the cages when disassembled, and the balls often looked terrible, and the bearings needed replacing often (sometimes less than a 100 flights on the Logo 600, under hard use).

Once I started installing the cage as in the spec I read, bearing life improved dramatically, they now go for hundreds of flights, and when dissembled, the balls never fall out of the cage. Just re-grease and keep going.

Based on my experiences, I'd recommend installing them as depicted in the manual. We have yet in all of 2011 needed to replace a thrust bearing on any of the XXtremes we have. The fact they are huge (23mm in diameter) to begin with, and with the cages properly installed, they seem to be pretty bullet-proof.

Hope this helps,

Dave
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I, as everyone else, have installed them to "hold in the grease". I also have noticed what Dave has said about the balls falling out when it is taken apart after a while. When my X gets here Ill install it as the manual depicts. What you said makes a lot of sense Dave, but, I am no super duper bearing expert either.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No expertise here. It could be true, but it's counter intuitive. My thinking would be that the bearings keep their relative spacing just fine no matter which way the cage goes.

And the force effect you describe, if significant which it may well be, would seem to press the cage against the rolling balls, instead of tending to "free" them. If I had to guess which effect would be detrimental... less containment versus more friction against the cage, I'd think the latter would be worse.

Now, perhaps by design of the cage when installed "flat side in" the outer portion of the cage rides on the outer race, and prevents the forces from impacting the balls. If true by inspection or by experts in the design, THAT I could believe is significantly good.

I've always wondered whether the effect to "keep the grease in" was meaningful.

I'm going to google around to see if we can find some expertise on the subject.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, that was a fun google. Bearings are amazing.

Anyway, having seen a number of references, diagrams and product description of thrust ball bearings with "cages" or "retainers," there is not one mention of the orientation of the cage in the application.

What's clear is that our application is somewhat unique. Normally, a thrust load would be put onto a bearing that was more or less stationary, such as a shaft for a boat, a "lazy susan" or something like that. I didn't see anything about any applications where the lubricant was under any force like ours.

There's this interesting piece about the orthogonal pattern http://www.rctek.com/technical/beari...rust_race.html

When the shaft is spinning very fast, the bearings themselves are forced outward, and then the construction of the retainer can (apparently) make a difference. In fact, in that application, centrifugal force on the lubricant is outwards from the shaft, not along the shaft in the direction of the thrust force.

I'm to the point of betting that it doesn't matter at all...
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

By the way, among the interesting pages I found on this search, this one has a catalog of many (full scale) rotorhead designs: http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Rotorhead.html

I want this one: http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages...ead/15007.html
Old 01-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickybit View Post
By the way, among the interesting pages I found on this search, this one has a catalog of many (full scale) rotorhead designs: http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Rotorhead.html

I want this one: http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages...ead/15007.html
Man, and we thought the Xxtreme head was beefy. Yeesh!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773 View Post
I, as everyone else, have installed them to "hold in the grease". I also have noticed what Dave has said about the balls falling out when it is taken apart after a while. When my X gets here Ill install it as the manual depicts. What you said makes a lot of sense Dave, but, I am no super duper bearing expert either.

I'm with you on this one too, Twister. I've had the balls fall out and have nothing to lose and everything to gain from trying it cage out as Dave has mentioned. There's next to no grease in my thrusts when I take them out anyway with the cage in.

Mikado should mention "cage out" in the manual the same way they mention "larger hole in" for the thrust bearing sides.

Never stop learning stuff on this forum.

Thanks for that Dave.

Cheers,

Jays

Last edited by Jays200; 01-30-2012 at 05:56 AM..
Jays200 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in