Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500 or 550?

I am thinking of moving up from a 450 but I dont know anyone with a 500 or550 to compare. is there a really big price difference and is it worth going550? any suggestions appreciated.
jeffl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a Trex 450 PRO, but it's currently in pieces in a box, after a crash. A trex 500 is somewhat more expensive to crash, but it's also a lot easier to fix. The difference in flight performance is considerable.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started to learn to fly with a Blade SR, then a Blade 400, then a T-rex 450, before I got my Outrage 550 for Christmas. Took me about 6 weeks to buy all the electronics and get it put together... OMG what a difference. This bird is inbelievably easier and more forgiving in the air. I think if I had it to do over again I might have started out with the 550. Crashes are more expensive, primarily because of the cost of blades, but I crash way way less with the 550. I've also been able to progress to forward and backward flips and airelon rolls with the 550, which I was never able to do with the 450 or other birds.

Personally, I'd say go with a 550 and you won't be sorry.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have the money (a Rex 550 crash can cost $100+ each time and batteries are $70 a piece), the space of at least full sized soccer field to fly, and the experience (can already do figure eights under full control) I would go 550 in a heartbeat. Huge difference.

Otherwise 500.

Or both. (See my sig)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

i think a 500 is actually a good step up from a 450. i personally don't really care for the 550. i say 500 or just go 600. no need for an in-between.

500's are cheap and run great on very cheap 6s packs ($30 to $40 range) I've owned my 500 for 2 and a half years and still actively fly it. It's the only heli I've kept that long
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd say 550. And it doesn't have to be an align heli. The swift is a great option also. I flew one for a while and it flew great. Parts are really cheap too. You can fly it on 5s without a problem so batts are inexpensive. Don't limit yourself to the align line of ships, not saying they they aren't good there are just a bunch of helis out there. You may also consider going flybarless, well worth the little extra money in my opinion.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

maybe its just me but i miss my 450 like crazy just to scard to crach my 550 because of $ of repaire. for under 100 i have enouf parts to crachit 3 time in a day in half hours later i whas back in they air

my 450 i could flip rool go inverted stall turn and my 550 its jsut if i am able to do hover the sound of the blade cuting air is jsut so scary for me but its true thats its more stable and you see it betther i would say 450 pro 3gx or a 500 i cannot comment on 500 but i heard alot of good thing about it

remember that if you do a nose crach good chance that your 100$ pack gone a be done
the frame blade shaft featering shaft gone a be capoute to so you knows your wallet
beats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in