Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great points Don. Just my lay persons opinion, I don't thinktheOWB is beefy enough for the shaft size swinging 800mm blades. Isn't the logo 800 's OWB more robust than this? I think this OWB was just enough on the 700. I think the 800 is going to be a challenge. Hopefully KDE will come upwithsomething.......keep me posted as its winter here and your weather is better right now for testing : )
hidaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have about a dozen flights with the KDE OWB mount and the new black CNC main gear and all is good so far. I did notice the mesh tighten up after the new main gear was installed. The stock gear was slowly wearing as I had white dust after about every flight.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the new gear as well...........My other concern is your dampner problems. is there a trueblood or equivilent to upgrade to????? I hope the idea of stretching a 700 to an 800 was the right idea here as the increased blade mass is not playing well with 700 sized components........
hidaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I replaced the all of the parts that fit on the spindle as well as the spindle. It seems to have become a little tighter after many flights. There could have been a bad run of any of these parts. I really don't know. Iv''e seen some of the TrueBlood dampers and they don't seem as rigid as the DFC dampers. All I know is they were so loose that they fell out of the main rotor housing on their own when I pulled the grips off. (both sets)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu66ie View Post
When you pull a cork from a wine bottle, you cannot just pull it straight out, it must be twisted and pulled at the same time. That minuscule amount of movement where the OWB slides up and down on the OWB shaft is enough to allow slippage. This probably is happening more than you hear and eventually the OWB shaft and or OWB will fail.
I think, that is a beautiful and vary valid explanation of the issue here! And we have to keep one more thing in mind - slant (helical) gears produce substantial diagonal loads on all bearings - motor, main shaft, OWB. That slanting force will tilt the bearing case against the sprague. If the bearing case doesn't hold the sprague firmly in place, the bearing will slip.

Rgds
Peter
PetJumper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OWB Failure

my 700e did this ... im surprised they didn't update the part for the 800E ... i had to heat up my OWB and the steel case popped out there was virtually no green loctite on it.. i drilled 4 holes in the alloy and counter sunk the steel sleeve at each point.. green loctite the sleeve back in and green loctite the grub screws into the collar... never ever slipped again.. looks like i will need to do same on this ..grrr...

My 800MX motor just arrived so im def going to have to mod the OWB with 11KW on tap :-D

cheers
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let us know how that 800MX performs, many of us here are curious.

The OWB slipping issues on the 800e were coming from the top of the case being pulled off. The six button heads that hold the top of the case together were being pulled out of their threads. And once this happened, they would no longer hold and once the case top pulled out just a tiny bit, the bearing would slip.

If you ever see tiny drops of lube around the seam between the two case halves, an autorotation is in the making.

The steel KDE case has fixed those issues. Steel bolts into steel threads was needed to keep it together under the loads the 800mm blades put on it. I have over 100 flights with the KDE OWB case and no slippage yet.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Swash Cam Video : 800e Trekker One Way Bearing Failure

Sounds like I will need to go the kde then....IM not putting the 800mx motor on it until I have a good owb IM using 5200 45 c batteries so that's plenty of juice for my sport and not so wild 3d just have to see how it goes.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
800e, one way bearing, owb, trekkker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in