Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Multiplex DS IPD 9 Channel receiver

I currently have a futaba 9C and am considering trying one of the muliplex ds IPD 9 channel receivers. I would like to know if anyone out there has tried one. I like the features and their price is very nice. It is interesting that you can set the failsafes even though this is not considered full pcm. I believe they refer to it is the next evolution in PPM.

Thanks

Charles
charles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The Micro dual conversion IPD receiver offers incredible performance in a small size. What does IPD do? The receiver analyses the signal, and adjusts it automatically in accordance with the current reception quality, or field strength. Powerful signals are passed on to the servos directly, but weaker signals are “post-processed”. This means that the IPD receiver calculates the nominal servo position from the last “good” signals which it picks up. This greatly reduces the effect of any interference, but - in contrast to PCM - the pilot is made aware that there is a problem. In this way the pilot receives a warning that all is not well, and he can respond appropriately.

The above is from the Mulitplex site.
Processing the last good signal and calculating the nominal servo position from that. Seems that is the same as PCM going into hold mode to me.

the pilot is made aware that there is a problem. In this way the pilot receives a warning that all is not well, and he can respond appropriately.

Ok if all is not well, how can the pilot respond appropiately? I am not knocking the IPD system. Just a couple of questions I had.
I believe Futaba is using this same type of setup in one there new 3 channel ground receivers. Not too much worry about using it on the ground.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2004, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

IPD....

Dave I BELIEVE it is like a cross between FM and PCM.
The servo would respond to an input in a delayed fashion and would not make uncommanded movements like an FM does when it gets hit.
So the failsafe on an IPD is kind of Lockout, but with the ability to "fight it down" so to speak.
Did any of that make sense.

This is just what I got from the Hitec rep at this years Hobby Visions show where I questioned them for awhile on the Multiplex EVO radios and IPD receivers.

I am also pretty sure from talking to them that the IPD functions will not work with PCM Tx's and is not fully functional on FM tx's.
Not 100% about that but pretty sure you had to use a Multiplex TX to get the IPD function.
Now you can use an FM Rx with a Multiplex TX in non IPD mode.
IPD is their PCM and has the same rules as far as mixing gear from what I recall.
fitenfyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2004, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mongo,
You mean there is something you DON'T know...
Old 04-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ha!
She must say the same as mine....
Old 04-11-2004, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Jason,
Yes I thought the IPD only worked properly when using the Mulitplex tranny also. But that may be totally wrong.

I was just referring to this statement in the ad for the IPD rx

the pilot is made aware that there is a problem. In this way the pilot receives a warning that all is not well, and he can respond appropriately.

I understand that the IPD will slow down the controls with missed signals. But if the signals are being missed continous, the pilot has already received the warning. His next responce is going to be walking to the crash site to estimate the damage. I just don't see how he would respond any other way if the signals were being missed. I understand the receiver to set the controls to the last good command they received till they start receiving a good stream again. I do understand it may process any good signals it receives during that period no matter how long they are. From my experience usually when something starts causing interference, it usually doesn't stop before the model crashes.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2004, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It definitely looks like there is enough of a question to stay with the trusty futaba receivers.... I may give hitec/multiplex a call to see if I can find out if the ipd features can be used with tx other than futaba.

Thanks

Charles
charles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2004, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Someone of my club uses it on a Robbe Moskito, but he hasn't flew his heli yet. He got it second hand and it wasn't built right.

Greetings Laurens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in