Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Replacing a defective T4 trim switch in my 14mz...

Here are some pics in various stages of dissassembly:

Removing printed circuit boards without using adequate static discharge protection can permanently destroy sensitive electronic components and render you 14mz useless. Do not attempt dissassembly unless you are qualified to do so!!!

RF Module printed circuit board removed:

RF Module plastic pcb holder removed:

Main printed circuit board removed showing black plastic LCD holder still intact:

Top of main printed circuit board. Two ball grid array IC's (the main processor's) can be seen.

Bottom of main printed circuit board:

LCD Display in plastic holder is removed but the touch panel, two upper metal brackets, and associated potentiometer assemblies still have to be carefully removed. Then their are a bunch of screws (2 extra long ones) that have to be removed before the board can be pulled out. My transmitter happened to have at least one screw (you can see it) missing from production! It just happened to be where the faulty switch was.

Finally after removing the black LCD Display holder, glass touch panel, and some upper frame parts you are able to get to the trim switch assembly. The black plastic rocker trim switches are also different depending on the position they are installed in and will fall out easily! The trim switches are very small smd switches and care needs to be taken when removing them....

Michael
hpilotrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
pqr
Registered Users

Default Good Timing

My T4 is also playing up - sometimes it goes left, sometimes it doesn't. Looks very interesting, but I have a basic question please - how o you get the back off? I can't see any screws heads at the back even after taking the rubber strips off

Regards, Phil
Blade MSR
pqr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default How to remove the back cover......

Phil,

Sorry for taking so long to answer you.

First you have to use a metric allen wrench to remove the bottom 4 cap screws. Then use the same wrench to remove the 4 screws around the black plastic antenna mount - and one each (silver color) left and right for the top switch clusters. You should now have 10 screws removed.

The switch clusters can gently be pulled up from the end of each corner and allow just to rest as is (don't disturb the multiple sets of wires). Remove the black antenna mount.

Now at the top you will see 6 more small screws. Two small small Phillips at each end, 2 small silver Phillips about 1/3 in, and 2 larger black phillips near the middle where the antenna mount piece is.

Once you remove these 6 (total of 16) you will be able to carefully lift the back cover off. The back cover has 3 sets of wiring harnesses connected to it. These need to be gently removed using your nail or a small screwdriver to gently pry apart. You may be also able to remove by gently tugging and rocking the harness using your fingers...but be carefull not to break anything!

There is a lot more to do before you are able to get to those hidden trim switches though!

Hope this helps!

Michael
Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
pqr
Registered Users

Default Easier to use a tin opener on the front!!!

Hi Michael, Thanks for full explanation. A lot of work but I guess you end up knowing the insides of the Tx by the end :-|

Thanks again
Blade MSR
pqr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
Good job! I have the same problem with my Futaba T10C . As per your pics, my dead trim switches are exactly the same of yours 14MZ.
Could you please tell where you found the spare switch? I searched all around the web but I could not find them... :o(
Many thanks!!
mineiro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Futaba parts....

You can get any of the parts including the spare switches from Hobby Services in Illinious.

Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in