Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > NextD - Rave 450 and 90

NextD - Rave 450 and 90 CJY Rave 450 and 90 Helicopter Kit - ND-YR-K001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Suggest me a Nitro engine for my ENV

So I want to go nitro on my ENV. Which motor should I put in? The ENV ends up weighing about 9.5lbs flight ready with nitro.

The YS 91SRX Tareq edition is on sale for 350 on Amain, is that a good engine for the Rave? It seems to throw a TSA around amazingly well.

I was also thinking a YS120, which sells for somewhere around 320 new.

I'm fairly experienced with nitro, however this would be my first 90 nitro. So I'm not sure where to look

I don't have a huge budget to work with, so the OS105 is out of the question, unless I find it used.

What would you guys suggest?

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a friend that runs the ys 120. His is the older version and it runs hot in the summer time. They have a thin wall set up to get them that big so they don't cool as well. You really need to run 15% in them. His always starts and everything tho but you can tell when you pushes it hard and it will start losing a little power but when you back off it cools a little and it is ok. Story I have heard is that they are re doing the motor and fixing that stuff. Problem is are they selling that cheap just to unload them for the revised ones? That is what I would be worried about. We fly the os91hzr in ours and it works real well. Only big suggestion that I have is make sure you buy a good pipe. We had an outrage pipe on ours and it lasted only about 20 flights befor falling apart. Then we bought a hatori pipe which has been good but now we have spent $350 in pipes where if we had bought the hatori to begin with we would have $225 in pipes. So basically we wasted $125. Bottom line is on all this stuff you get what you pay for. Personally I would buy an os91hzr before I would buy a ys on sale. That is just my opinion
LaDon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not the new YS 120 SRX? It is released in the US now... I have one
MikeG4936 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG4936 View Post
Why not the new YS 120 SRX? It is released in the US now... I have one
... And? How is it. ?? Any details?

I'm leaning towards the tareq engine. I hear the new one pulls like a mother. And for that price..

Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mines ready for more test flights - you ready? ;-)

I almost bought the YS 91 SRX for my N7. Had it in the cart at Amain. I don't think you can go wrong.....
Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds good to me. Gotta sell my 450 and electric setup first though.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

New 120 SRX is only $400... not bad for the latest and greatest....
MikeG4936 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running an OS 91 speed in mine. 6 gallons through it and she flies well. Spinning the Radix 690 blades. I can bog it with hard tik toks (my bad collective management) but other than that it seems to pull the heli through the air with no problems. And like all my other OS engines. Zero issues. That I like!!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will go with new ys120 in mine but I am not able yet to say you something cause it's still in the box

I had a ys91 tareq with fun tech muffler, that was just a beast.
A good friend of mine is using an OS105 regulated with the power boost but he don't have more power than the tareq.
I think that the os is much easy to tune and is less "on the edge" like the tareq. So if you don't have many experience with nitro, I should advice you the OS... my 0.02

Rms
RamsesFR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm fairly experienced with nitro. This would be my first 700 nitro though. I've used and tuned and played with a ton of car engines. Even worked on them and fixed everybodys' mistakes when I worked at a LHS. I have helped friends with their nitro helis, but haven't had one of my own.
And large CC heli engines are a BREEZE to tune compared to a tiny little car nitro. Those bastards can be a ... bastard... to tune correctly. Lol.

I know OS engines run really nicely and have a huge margin of error, but I also know the YS engines pull alot harder. YS 91s all have more power than the OS 105, and that's what I want.

I was between either the Tareq 91 or the new ys120. Probably can't go wrong with either. Please keep me updated when you get the 120 in yours, I would love to hear your experience between the tareq and the 120.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not sure how the new YS stuff is but I used to fly pattern planes when I was a kid and the YS engines (although powerful as all hell) were very temperamental to keep running. Again I am not sure how the newer stuff is. I'm going back 25+ years. The limited time that I have at the field, I always want to fly more than tinker. I suppose that's what drew me to the OS that I have now. A buddy of mine has 2 OS 105's and swears by them. I have not flown either of his heli's so I really can't compare it to my 91 speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in