Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hunting Vibes On my 500 ESP FBL

Hey all,
I've been chasing bad vibes on my 500 ESP FBL. It's been driving me nuts. It vibrates so much at times the skids would be a blur. There was also a spot in the rpm range during spool up that would shake the heli even more.

I have been all over this thing adjusting gear mesh, changing bearings, changing bearings again, three different tail assemblies, feathering shaft, dampers, head block, 2 main shafts, playing with the torque of various screws. New motor. New gears all the way around. New OWB. New TT. Best I could ever do was make it less bad but never able to make it right.

Tonight I believe I found the problem. One of those "I'll try this and see what happens". I removed the vertical stabilizer and the vibes were completely gone. It wasn't just an improvement. It was perfect. The stabilizer on this heli is a Fusuno fiberglass aftermarket part which is far more flexible than a carbon fiber stabilizer. I'm guessing it's flexible enough to produce a harmonic vibration and amplify the normal vibes many times over. I'll I need to get a carbon fiber vertical stab to test this theory. With the stabilizer installed, placing a screwdriver on the tail boom is like doing a drum roll. Without the stabilizer installed the screwdriver will sit on the boom quietly. It also spools up very smooth without the stabilizer installed.

Anyone experience anything like this before?
Thanks.
Lanman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would remove the pinion gear and spin up the motor by itself. See if you can feel ANY vibration. Align motors at times can be the cause. A new FBL heli should not have any vibrations unless something inadvertently is loose.

Jeff B
Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I found the same thing when I was using the extra long version of the Fusuno stabilizer.
What also helps is do some trial and error tail blade balancing. I use about a 10mm piece of tape on a tail blade. If the vibes get worse put it on the other blade and try it. Once you find the blade that needs it then you can play with how much tape makes it better or worse.
99% of vibes on mine always comes from the tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in